GDT: 2020 NHL Free Agent Frenzy V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Normally after July 1 and the first signings, the NHL goes into cottage mode for 6 weeks but this is a different universe.

If Bettman says they are starting on January 1st - we are looking at a 60 game season because July 22nd is as far as they can extend it because of

nbc-2021-olympics-logo.jpg

If the season is only 60 games players take another hit and yet the NHLPA to their credit understands the owners' situation.

SpeedyLazaro

Sponsor
Sep 30, 2008
Boston
Hall is not they guy we need ... we need grittier guys.. Hoffman would have been a good trade line grab 2 years ago.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Grzelcyk is the top LD left. They need multiple defensemen asap.

Grzelcyk on your top pair means you're DOA
Well honestly they have multiple defensemen. They need at least one really good, experienced LHD. OEL would've fit the bill IMO. It wouldn't have been easy but I think if they really wanted to make it work they would've found a way.

Reactions: Coach Parker

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Well honestly they have multiple defensemen. They need at least one really good, experienced LHD. OEL would've fit the bill IMO. It wouldn't have been easy but I think if they really wanted to make it work they would've found a way.

Well if they lose out on Hall and given they just added Smith and Miller to replace them...

Would you sign Hoffman and then move Moore, Bjork and Studnicka for OEL?

Hoffman, Smith, Miller and OEL in.
Bjork, Moore, Studnicka and Krug out.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
That is one of the funniest skit I’ve ever seen. You have to watch the whole thing. Try not laughing. Perfect for everyone to take a time out here.

the full outtakes are priceless, must’ve taken them a day to film that one scene

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Well if they lose out on Hall and given they just added Smith and Miller to replace them...

I think we are too late on OEL and even then I’d only do that if they retain significant money

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
Hall is not they guy we need ... we need grittier guys.. Hoffman would have been a good trade line grab 2 years ago.

Hall may not be as "gritty" as you would like, but he does bring a higher level of skill/talent to a lineup that is above the other options.

Personally, I would love to see our frustratingly stubborn management team bring in both Hall and OEL. It would send a 'win now' message to the team significantly complimenting our aging stars. Hall, for at least 5 years; and even though OEL would cost a significant prospect(s) and pick(s), the length of both contracts would allow management to replenish the prospect pool either through trades or picks without significantly reducing the on ice product.

Sweeney's hesitation to aggressively complete both deals sends a mixed message to both the team and the fans. Is it win now or just remain competitive and hope for the best. Hesitation = fear either in cap control or confidence to remain competitive.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
The team that raised the Cup in TD garden had Edmunson and JayBo’s corpse as top 4 LD. Like the Bruins, their strength was RD with some complementary guys on the LD. Don’t have to be All Stars. Diminished returns when you have two top d-men on the same pair IMHO. Nothing wrong going into the season seeing what you have in the kids and then adding at the deadline when you have banked space.

Last edited:

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
It f***ing is man. Don't tell me we are going with that D. We'll be fighting for a wild card spot. I like many here want to give guys like Lauzon, Zboril and Vaak and chance but they're gonna need support. There is no 1st pairing D in the lot and that includes Gryz. Over a season it will look like your watching cartoons.

They aren't getting a high end LD in FA, so they are going to have to make a trade for at least 1 top 4 LD.

So I would say go the NYI who are in cap hell and
see if you can get Leddy for a 2020 pick
either 2/3.

Leddy is an acceptable PP guy and better on D than Krug.
He is terrific skater.

Reactions: JOKER 192

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
The team that raises the Cup in TD garden had Edmunson and JayBo’s corpse as top 4 LD. Like the Bruins, their strength was RD with some complementary guys on the LD. Don’t have to be All Stars. Diminished returns when you have two top d-men on the same pair IMHO. Nothing wrong going into the season seeing what you have in the kids and then adding at the deadline when you have banked space.

Thats ridiculous comment about Jaybo. He was much
better than Edmundson and Edmundson isn't a top 4 D man. Bruins ran him out of the SCF after G3.

Reactions: bbfan419

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Late night roster/cap calculations are probably not the best idea, but alas, here I am...

x1KrejciPastrnak
MarchandBergeronKase
DeBruskCoyleSmith
x2KuralyWagner
x3
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
GrzelcykMcAvoy
MooreCarlo
LauzonClifton
ZborilMiller
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Rask
Halak
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
x1 = Free Agent
x2 = 1 of Ritchie/Bjork/Lindholm
x3 = 1 of Ritchie/Bjork/Lindholm

*DeBrusk = 2yrs $3.4M per
*Grzelcyk = 3yrs $3.3M per
*Zboril = 2yrs $775k per
*Senyshyn and Cehlarik = league minimum deals.
*Assign Kuhlman to Providence.
*Waive Kampfer, Blidh, Senyshyn, and
Cehlarik - assign to Providence if they clear. Cehlarik may stay in Europe.

Depending on the RFA contracts, the above totals out to ~$4.3M in cap space without filling the top-6 forward spot.

Prefer not to carry 14 forwards nor 8 d-men. Optimally, would like to trade (at least) one forward and one defensemen. Otherwise, they run the risk of losing one or two of them by waiving/assigning to Providence.

Potential deductions through trade: DeBrusk (~$3.4M,) Bjork ($1.6M,) Ritchie (~$1.5M,) Lindholm ($850k,) Moore ($2.75M,) Clifton ($1.0M,) Lauzon ($850k,) Zboril (~$775k,) Rask ($7.0M.)

To sign Taylor Hall, I think the Bruins would need to move out ~$4.5M of cap through trade(s) and/or waiver claims. Maybe Miller on LTIR could help alleviate some of the crunch as well?

Someone want to check the math? I used CapFriendly's Armchair-GM feature, so I believe it's correct.

In conclusion, I think the Bruins will need to move cap $ out just to add a top-6 forward, let alone to add a top-4 defenseman. I wonder if Sweeney plans on going into the season with the defense (basically) as is, with the expectation of adding closer to the trade deadline?

Leddy should be a target with Moore going back
with a pick. He is absolutely better than Moore
and can fill some of the PP production lost
with Krug gone. Leddy should be target #1.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Hall may not be as "gritty" as you would like, but he does bring a higher level of skill/talent to a lineup that is above the other options.

Personally, I would love to see our frustratingly stubborn management team bring in both Hall and OEL. It would send a 'win now' message to the team significantly complimenting our aging stars. Hall, for at least 5 years; and even though OEL would cost a significant prospect(s) and pick(s), the length of both contracts would allow management to replenish the prospect pool either through trades or picks without significantly reducing the on ice product.

Sweeney's hesitation to aggressively complete both deals sends a mixed message to both the team and the fans. Is it win now or just remain competitive and hope for the best. Hesitation = fear either in cap control or confidence to remain competitive.

Would rather they get Leddy than give up Studnicka
and a #1 for OEL. Doubt Coyotes taking back Moore.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
This is aa of today pretty garbage lineup for contending.

Haven’t address the top6 and LD just got helluva lot worse

Reactions: Horton Hears A Woo

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown

Depends on the league eliminating the salary cap.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
The team that raises the Cup in TD garden had Edmunson and JayBo’s corpse as top 4 LD. Like the Bruins, their strength was RD with some complementary guys on the LD. Don’t have to be All Stars. Diminished returns when you have two top d-men on the same pair IMHO. Nothing wrong going into the season seeing what you have in the kids and then adding at the deadline when you have banked space.

There is a huge gap between AP/Parayko and
McAvoy/Carlo. They need an established top
4 LD to start the season.

Also if the season is 60 games you run an increased
risk of not as many teams being out of the PO hunt.

NYI are a good place to look with Leddy.

Reactions: Horton Hears A Woo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad