The servers will be very busy - we have added capacity but

Once again we will have the emergency backup chat - click image to enter

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Worse team than last year.

It f***ing is man. Don't tell me we are going with that D. We'll be fighting for a wild card spot. I like many here want to give guys like Lauzon, Zboril and Vaak and chance but they're gonna need support. There is no 1st pairing D in the lot and that includes Gryz. Over a season it will look like your watching cartoons.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
I don't necessarily disagree that it's not a championship defense, but people have been complaining for 2 years that Chara should retire and Krug is the most sheltered defenseman in the league (most offensive zone starts), so if we're going to miss anything, it's his powerplay contributions, which was only about 20% of his ice time. We're taking a gamble that the young guys can step up, but they're going to be more mobile, that's guaranteed, and it's possible that they're better 5-on-5.

Don't get me wrong, if they want to compete for a Cup, they need another top 4 defenseman. However, Gryz and McAvoy have played very well together, and I'm not worried about whether Gryz is a top pairing defenseman, I just want quality defensive pairings, and McAvoy and Gryz or Carlo and Gryz can absolutely be that. In the end, the system and the goaltending are the key to this being a great defensive team.

Reactions: AM Bruin

bruinsfan

Aug 2, 2005
It f***ing is man. Don't tell me we are going with that D. We'll be fighting for a wild card spot. I like many here want to give guys like Lauzon, Zboril and Vaak and chance but they're gonna need support. There is no 1st pairing D in the lot and that includes Gryz. Over a season it will look like your watching cartoons.
Seems like every year Bruins go into the season with holes in the line up and bottom 9 forwards are expected to step up and bottom pairing defensemen are expected to step up.

Shoebottom88

Feb 4, 2019
Can’t believe how mad people are about Miller. He must be in shape and ready to go. He’s a solid Dman when healthy. Which is not often, but still. And Chara has to come back. One of the best shutdown Dman even now at 43 and a great leader. Bring Hall in, and if he’s gone, got to plan B like Dom said & get Hoff. Solid team. Just gotta get tougher on bottom line, hopefully Ritchie gets in shape.

Reactions: Alberta_OReilly_Fan

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Can’t believe how mad people are about Miller. He must be in shape and ready to go. He’s a solid Dman when healthy. Which is not often, but still. And Chara has to come back. One of the best shutdown Dman even now at 43 and a great leader. Bring Hall in, and if he’s gone, got to plan B like Dom said & get Hoff. Solid team. Just gotta get tougher on bottom line, hopefully Ritchie gets in shape.

I don’t think people are mad that Miller is back. I think people just realize Miller could have been brought back on a PTO without and guaranteed money

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
I don't necessarily disagree that it's not a championship defense, but people have been complaining for 2 years that Chara should retire and Krug is the most sheltered defenseman in the league (most offensive zone starts), so if we're going to miss anything, it's his powerplay contributions, which was only about 20% of his ice time. We're taking a gamble that the young guys can step up, but they're going to be more mobile, that's guaranteed, and it's possible that they're better 5-on-5.

Don't get me wrong, if they want to compete for a Cup, they need another top 4 defenseman. However, Gryz and McAvoy have played very well together, and I'm not worried about whether Gryz is a top pairing defenseman, I just want quality defensive pairings, and McAvoy and Gryz or Carlo and Gryz can absolutely be that. In the end, the system and the goaltending are the key to this being a great defensive team.

If sacrificng Chara and Krug gets them Hall and Zboril/Vaakanianen's shot full time then I am in. If the cost of the D is a couple 3rd liners then I'll tune in during the rebuild. Get Krejci his winger or blow it up. Perfection line can't do it alone (I feel like I post this every year since 2015)...

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Seems like every year Bruins go into the season with holes in the line up and bottom 9 forwards are expected to step up and bottom pairing defensemen are expected to step up.

I'm all for that, but for that to actually work you have to,

A) Draft properly
B) Develop properly
C) Support properly

As in, guys like Bjork and Kulhman shouldn't be starting on the 1st and 2nd lines but they have to because the 3rd and 4th lines are full of plugs they sign so they have to start higher up in the line-up. It's comical to watch. Who's in charge? Abott and Castello.

BruinsFanMike82

Apr 15, 2009
MA
Late night roster/cap calculations are probably not the best idea, but alas, here I am...

x1KrejciPastrnak
MarchandBergeronKase
DeBruskCoyleSmith
x2KuralyWagner
x3
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
GrzelcykMcAvoy
MooreCarlo
LauzonClifton
ZborilMiller
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Rask
Halak
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
x1 = Free Agent
x2 = 1 of Ritchie/Bjork/Lindholm
x3 = 1 of Ritchie/Bjork/Lindholm

*DeBrusk = 2yrs $3.4M per
*Grzelcyk = 3yrs $3.3M per
*Zboril = 2yrs $775k per
*Senyshyn and Cehlarik = league minimum deals.
*Assign Kuhlman to Providence.
*Waive Kampfer, Blidh, Senyshyn, and Cehlarik - assign to Providence if they clear. Cehlarik may stay in Europe.

Depending on the RFA contracts, the above totals out to ~$4.3M in cap space without filling the top-6 forward spot.

Prefer not to carry 14 forwards nor 8 d-men. Optimally, would like to trade (at least) one forward and one defensemen. Otherwise, they run the risk of losing one or two of them by waiving/assigning to Providence.

Potential deductions through trade: DeBrusk (~$3.4M,) Bjork ($1.6M,) Ritchie (~$1.5M,) Lindholm ($850k,) Moore ($2.75M,) Clifton ($1.0M,) Lauzon ($850k,) Zboril (~$775k,) Rask ($7.0M.)

To sign Taylor Hall, I think the Bruins would need to move out ~$4.5M of cap through trade(s) and/or waiver claims. Maybe Miller on LTIR could help alleviate some of the crunch as well?

Someone want to check the math? I used CapFriendly's Armchair-GM feature, so I believe it's correct.

In conclusion, I think the Bruins will need to move cap $ out just to add a top-6 forward, let alone to add a top-4 defenseman. I wonder if Sweeney plans on going into the season with the defense (basically) as is, with the expectation of adding closer to the trade deadline?

Last edited:
Reactions: Alberta_OReilly_Fan

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
I’m honestly excited to see Zboril, I hope he QB’s PP2. I like the idea of bringing back Chara

Weegar would be perfect

You gotta learn to crawl before you walk, walk before you run.

Some players like Mac can get right to it , but the guys that take 5 years to develop in Prov, it may be a leap for them. Let's see if they can play 3rd line in the NHL before we're slotting them into PP units.

Chara , oof. With all due respect to the man , I can't believe there are still fans around here who wanna see Chara back this year.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Late night roster/cap calculations are probably not the best idea, but alas, here I am...

x1KrejciPastrnak
MarchandBergeronKase
DeBruskCoyleSmith
x2KuralyWagner
x3
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
GrzelcykMcAvoy
MooreCarlo
LauzonClifton
ZborilMiller
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Rask
Halak
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
x1 = Free Agent
x2 = 1 of Ritchie/Bjork/Lindholm
x3 = 1 of Ritchie/Bjork/Lindholm

*DeBrusk = 2yrs $3.4M per
*Grzelcyk = 3yrs $3.3M per
*Zboril = 2yrs $775k per
*Senyshyn and Cehlarik = league minimum deals.
*Assign Kuhlman to Providence.
*Waive Kampfer, Blidh, Senyshyn, and Cehlarik - assign to Providence if they clear. Cehlarik may stay in Europe.

Depending on the RFA contracts, the above totals out to ~$4.3M in cap space without filling the top-6 forward spot.

Prefer not to carry 14 forwards nor 8 d-men. Optimally, would like to trade (at least) one forward and one defensemen. Otherwise, they run the risk of losing one or two of them by waiving/assigning to Providence.

Potential deductions through trade: DeBrusk (~$3.4M,) Bjork ($1.6M,) Ritchie (~$1.5M,) Lindholm ($850k,) Moore ($2.75M,) Clifton ($1.0M,) Lauzon ($850k,) Zboril (~$775k,) Rask ($7.0M.)

Someone want to check the math? I used CapFriendly's Armchair-GM feature, so I believe it's correct.

In conclusion, I think the Bruins will need to move cap $ out just to add a top-6 forward, let alone to add a top-4 defenseman. I wonder if Sweeney plans on going into the season with the defense (basically) as is, with the expectation of adding closer to the trade deadline?

Any roster that has Gryz in the 1st pairing is doomed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad