2020 NHL Entry Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

scott99

May 13, 2005
So, this is what happens when you have too much time on your hands...
NHL Mock Draft 2020: Corey Pronman projects all seven rounds

For those who don't have a subscription to The Athletic, here's what he sees the Isles doing.
90 F Antonio Stranges
121 F Trevor Kuntar
152 D Ville Ottavainen
183 G Amir Miftakhov
214 D Benjamin Zloty

My take:
I've conducted 4 mock drafts the past 4-5 months with the Isles, often acquiring more than the five picks the Islanders have, and always tried to operate in a manner I thought was highly conducive of the Isles' scouting staff as we've seen the past two years and well, I never once took any of these players.

But that's just me.

Miftakhov is an interesting prospect. He turned 20 recently, but was still 19 during the World Junior Championships, and when Askarov struggled, he came in and played most of the tournament for Russia, played quite well too (2.12 ga and .919 sp).

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I hope we trade up into the first...might be a bit high, but I'd like for us to draft Quinn...these Quinn brothers are like a rich man's Strome/Reinhart brothers. He's a shooter and goal scorer that's already a very well rounded player.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
I hope we trade up into the first...might be a bit high, but I'd like for us to draft Quinn...these Quinn brothers are like a rich man's Strome/Reinhart brothers. He's a shooter and goal scorer that's already a very well rounded player.
Unless you are trading Barzal, Pulock or Pelech there is no way the Islanders will be picking the first round this year.

Reactions: periferal

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
And the next one...

This is more like it.
https://thehockeywriters.com/fishers-9th-annual-nhl-mock-draft-2020-team-results/

Here's Fisher's Islander Draft:
New York Islanders

90) Eemil Viro (LD, Finland, TPS Liiga)
121) Landon Slaggert (RW/LC, USA, NTDP U18)
152) Parker Ford (RC, USA, Providence College NCAA, overager)
183) Jack Smith (LC, USA, St. Cloud Cathedral U.S. High School)
214) Yegor Chinakhov (RW, Russia, Omskie Yastreby MHL, overager)

TOTAL: 5 (2 RW, 1 LD, 1 RC, 1 LC)

:isles

ANALYSIS: The Islanders have taken their share of American forwards in recent years and would be taking three more in my mock. Slaggert flew a little under the radar with The Program, Ford came on strong as an overager at Lou Lamoriello’s alma mater and even made the cut for the World Juniors, and Smith might have been projected much higher had he stayed healthy. The Islanders stole Anders Lee in the sixth round as a Minnesota high-schooler, which is where they would be snagging Smith too. Could the Islanders see shades of Brock Nelson in Slaggert? Possibly. With Viro as their top pick, the Islanders may see him as a steal there — they took another Finnish defenceman with their top pick in 2017, second-rounder Robin Salo. Lastly, Chinakhov would be a Russian flyer along the lines of Anatoly Golyshev, though Chinakhov plays a tenacious style like a young Leo Komarov, who grew up in Finland before circling back to Russia as a dual citizen. On the flip side, the Islanders also have forward prospect Ruslan Iskhakov, who is Russian but left college in the States to continue his development in Finland. Still, the emphasis would be on the American forwards with Slaggert, Ford and Smith joining the likes of Kieffer Bellows, Oliver Wahlstrom, Jake Pivonka and Logan Cockerill in the Islanders’ system.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Back in the 1970's and 1980's (early part), it was during the week. I remember calling sports phone from work in 1983 and finding out that the Isle's got Pat Lafontaine, I was so happy that day.

Not to derail the thread, but when you said Sports Phone, it brought a smile to my face. Thanks for that! Those of us who remember SP are surely dating ourselves. I can remember the number from ads, '976-1313', better than most of my passwords these days.

I didn't realize how many future announcers, especially those popular in the tri-state area, worked for the service. Announcers like Howie Rose, Gary Cohen, Michael Kay, Bob Papa, Don La Greca, Steve Cangialosi, Bob Meyer, Al Trautwig, Linda Cohn, etc.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
So, this is what happens when you have too much time on your hands...
NHL Mock Draft 2020: Corey Pronman projects all seven rounds

For those who don't have a subscription to The Athletic, here's what he sees the Isles doing.
90 F Antonio Stranges
121 F Trevor Kuntar
152 D Ville Ottavainen
183 G Amir Miftakhov
214 D Benjamin Zloty

My take:
I've conducted 4 mock drafts the past 4-5 months with the Isles, often acquiring more than the five picks the Islanders have, and always tried to operate in a manner I thought was highly conducive of the Isles' scouting staff as we've seen the past two years and well, I never once took any of these players.

But that's just me.

Stranges is good, fills a need could be a good middle-6er at his best. Miftakhov is the only piece I really like from this list, big time sleeper.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
And the next one...

This is more like it.
https://thehockeywriters.com/fishers-9th-annual-nhl-mock-draft-2020-team-results/

Here's Fisher's Islander Draft:
New York Islanders

90) Eemil Viro (LD, Finland, TPS Liiga)
121) Landon Slaggert (RW/LC, USA, NTDP U18)
152) Parker Ford (RC, USA, Providence College NCAA, overager)
183) Jack Smith (LC, USA, St. Cloud Cathedral U.S. High School)
214) Yegor Chinakhov (RW, Russia, Omskie Yastreby MHL, overager)

TOTAL: 5 (2 RW, 1 LD, 1 RC, 1 LC)

:isles

ANALYSIS: The Islanders have taken their share of American forwards in recent years and would be taking three more in my mock. Slaggert flew a little under the radar with The Program, Ford came on strong as an overager at Lou Lamoriello’s alma mater and even made the cut for the World Juniors, and Smith might have been projected much higher had he stayed healthy. The Islanders stole Anders Lee in the sixth round as a Minnesota high-schooler, which is where they would be snagging Smith too. Could the Islanders see shades of Brock Nelson in Slaggert? Possibly. With Viro as their top pick, the Islanders may see him as a steal there — they took another Finnish defenceman with their top pick in 2017, second-rounder Robin Salo. Lastly, Chinakhov would be a Russian flyer along the lines of Anatoly Golyshev, though Chinakhov plays a tenacious style like a young Leo Komarov, who grew up in Finland before circling back to Russia as a dual citizen. On the flip side, the Islanders also have forward prospect Ruslan Iskhakov, who is Russian but left college in the States to continue his development in Finland. Still, the emphasis would be on the American forwards with Slaggert, Ford and Smith joining the likes of Kieffer Bellows, Oliver Wahlstrom, Jake Pivonka and Logan Cockerill in the Islanders’ system.

The Hockey Writers is usually very meh but their draft content is very good, I've be pretty darn happy with these selections.

bringbackziggy

Jul 25, 2007

Hate to burst your bubble but Jack Quinn is not related to the HUGHES brothers...Quinn, Jack, and youngest brother Luke is eligible for 2021 draft...

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
Back in the 1970's and 1980's (early part), it was during the week. I remember calling sports phone from work in 1983 and finding out that the Isle's got Pat Lafontaine, I was so happy that day.
Sports Phone LMAO. I was a customer back in the day of my brief sports gambling problem.:cool:

Ninety nine cents a minute!

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
What a day to have a draft..on a Tuesday! come on..

It sort of worked out good for me, I work shift work and just happen to have Tuesday and Wednesday off this week. All that being said I think I much rather have gotten UFA day off(even if I expect we don't do much). I work 4-12 Friday and Saturday so I have a feeling I will be late on who gets signed where, especially given they don't have a grace period this year so we won't have that rush of signings the first 4-5 hours

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
As the draft approaches and we see what's going on out there on the market, I have a feeling that we'll not be using the five picks we have.

That may be because we need to use a couple of them to help jettison contract. It may also mean we make a deal or two that helps us move up a bit.

What I can say is that there are plenty of overagers in this draft who, I believe, will not be drafted and then there for the taking as UFAs, possibly even ripe to be signed to AHL contracts. A handful are in the CHL. A couple more are in Europe. Several were drafted in 2018 and weren't signed. Now they're available for the draft again.

Among those who I feel will likely be overlooked in the draft and thus, be available as UFAs, if the Isles are so willing to go that route, are the following:
WHL:
C Luke Toporowski
C Eric Florchuk
C Riley Stotts
C Logan Barlage
C Ilya Usov
LW Cole Fonstad
LW Ben McCartney
LW Jaden Dureau
LW Vladimir Alistrov
RW Tarun Fizer
D Daniel Baker
D Jonas Brodberg
D Alex Kannok-Leipert

OHL:
C Sergei Popov
C Allan McShane
C Curtis Douglas
C Danil Antropov
LW Tag Bertuzzi
RW Mitch Hoelscher
D Giovanni Vallati
D Billy Constantinou
D Dennis Busby

QMJHL:
LW Xavier Parent
LW Yaroslav Likhachyov
C Luke Henman
C Samuel Houde
RW Shawn Boudrias
D Xavier Bouchard
D Chris Merisier-Ortiz
D Xavier Bernard
D David Aebischer

Sweden:
C Nils Aman
C Albin Sundsvik
RW Linus Oberg
LW Eric Engstand

Finland:
RW Joonas Oden
RW Eemil Erholtz
RW Mikko Petman
C Kristian Tanus

Russia:
C Artyom Zhuk
C Alexei Tsyplakov
D Pavel Yelizarov
D Ilya Mironov
D Oleg Zaitsev
D Danil Pylenkov

Czech Republic:
D Radim Salda
C Vojtech Strondala

Slovakia:
RW Adam Liska
C Milos Roman

Switzerland:
D Janis Moser
D Nico Gross

Germany:
C Tim Wohlgemuth

Kazakhstan:
C Maxim Musorov

And just for the record, don't forget that the names Dowd, Chorske, and Weight are all part of this draft as overagers.:)

I do expect many of these names to be signed to no less than AHL contracts once/should they go undrafted this week.

Last edited:

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I didn’t realize these guys were Eligible for re-draft some real interesting names.

Allan McShane
Curtis Douglas
Nico Gross
Xavier Bouchard
Xavier Bernard

I really Like McShane and Gross. Both Could be worth a late pick. Both can come into Bridgeport right away as can all these guys I believe.

Reactions: xECK29x

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I didn’t realize these guys were Eligible for re-draft some real interesting names.

Allan McShane
Curtis Douglas
Nico Gross
Xavier Bouchard
Xavier Bernard

I really Like McShane and Gross. Both Could be worth a late pick. Both can come into Bridgeport right away as can all these guys I believe.

My take:
Most teams are NOT going to "waste" a draft pick on these guys, but rather look to sign them after the draft to an AHL contract.

If you look across the WHL, OHL, and QMJHL, there really are a good dozen+ draft re-entries who will be of interest to teams in one capacity or another.

Reactions: SI90

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Sports Phone LMAO. I was a customer back in the day of my brief sports gambling problem.:cool:

Ninety nine cents a minute!

I'm gonna guess you've seen The Gambler with James Caan.

I never saw the remake but the old one was a great flick for the degenerate gambler inside many of us.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Had Snow been in charge last year, the Islanders would have drafted Danny Weight for sure. This year the sons of both Brian Rolston and Jamie Langenbrunner are available. I fully expect at least one to be an Islanders draft pick tomorrow.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Does anyone know of a stream to watch the draft? I am not sure NHL.com is going to stream it this year?

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
FIRST ROUND THOUGHTS:
- For those watching tonight, don't be surprised if Detroit grabs goaltender Askarov, whether it be 4th overall or by dropping back a few spots.
- I expect both Ridley Greig and Jake Neighbours to be going in the first round.
- If Swedish Dmen Wallinder or Grans go top 20, then somebody's made a huge mistake.
- Don't be surprised if Noel Gunler falls out of the first round, whether wise or not on behalf of the teams picking in the back 15.
- On the same account of reactionary picking, I expect Russian Dman Mukhamadullin to be selected in the 20s.
- Center Hendrix Lapierre will go in round 1 and it's a good bet that it'll be to a team that has multiple first rounders (my tip, NYR).
- If anyone is this year's Ty Dellandrea (i.e. guy who goes in the first although like everyone says he's a 2nd/3rd rounder), I expect it to be Luke Evangelista.
- If the Islanders are to somehow make it into the first round, my bet is that it will in a trade with Jersey for pick 18 or 20 and will involve us sending the Devils Bellows and one of Leddy or Toews. If it's Toews, we'll likely get something nice in addition to the first rounder. If it's Leddy, we'll likely also take back some unwanted, yet inconsequential contract as part of the deal.

Enjoy it, folks!

Bill Herlyn

Oct 18, 2017
FIRST ROUND THOUGHTS:
- For those watching tonight, don't be surprised if Detroit grabs goaltender Askarov, whether it be 4th overall or by dropping back a few spots.
- I expect both Ridley Greig and Jake Neighbours to be going in the first round.
- If Swedish Dmen Wallinder or Grans go top 20, then somebody's made a huge mistake.
- Don't be surprised if Noel Gunler falls out of the first round, whether wise or not on behalf of the teams picking in the back 15.
- On the same account of reactionary picking, I expect Russian Dman Mukhamadullin to be selected in the 20s.
- Center Hendrix Lapierre will go in round 1 and it's a good bet that it'll be to a team that has multiple first rounders (my tip, NYR).
- If anyone is this year's Ty Dellandrea (i.e. guy who goes in the first although like everyone says he's a 2nd/3rd rounder), I expect it to be Luke Evangelista.
- If the Islanders are to somehow make it into the first round, my bet is that it will in a trade with Jersey for pick 18 or 20 and will involve us sending the Devils Bellows and one of Leddy or Toews. If it's Toews, we'll likely get something nice in addition to the first rounder. If it's Leddy, we'll likely also take back some unwanted, yet inconsequential contract as part of the deal.

Enjoy it, folks!

I wouldn't mind if the Islanders drafted Lapierre if we somehow acquired a 1st round pick in let's say the 16-20 range!

MichaelK

Mar 13, 2004
If Quinn or Jarvis fall to then I would absolutely be fine trading Bellows + Leddy/Toews. As much as I like Bellows’s potential, we are in a bit of a bind regarding contracts we can protect and I think he and Wahlstrom may ultimately be playing the same role.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I wouldn't mind if the Islanders drafted Lapierre if we somehow acquired a 1st round pick in let's say the 16-20 range!

I love him but it won’t happen. He’s way better than he is ranked and injuries hurt him in that area. He’s a real talent. Wouldn’t shock me if he’s taken top15

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
If Quinn or Jarvis fall to then I would absolutely be fine trading Bellows + Leddy/Toews. As much as I like Bellows’s potential, we are in a bit of a bind regarding contracts we can protect and I think he and Wahlstrom may ultimately be playing the same role.
Bellows should is only 22 and can play next year and has shown scoring ability + a top4 defensman for a mid to late 1st round prospect? Yikes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad