2020 NHL Entry Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
definitely have to weigh risk vs reward. I just think there’s a lot of talent around the world and some hidden gems out there. Not necessarily superstars but guys that can play. Maybe middle 6 guys or even guys like A Cizikas. Just have to find them. Sweden Finland and Russia produce a lot of talent.

You're right, there's tons of talent out there and much of it not only has to be identified, but then nurtured properly once found.

For those drafting, a big part of the equation that we don't think about much is that they're often trying to figure out which of the kids they actually want to add to the organization now and who of those don't need to be added now, because they'd rather wait and see how they fare in i.e. college hockey or feel they can be added at a later juncture via free agency. These trains of thought are naturally part of the gamble involved.

But yes, there's more than enough talent out there.

You only have so many picks every summer - and plenty of teams don't make the best use of them.

Reactions: buud and SI90

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Something to look out for is Lou trading for a 1st or 2nd rd pick this upcoming draft. This would make the draft a lot more interesting.

Yep, it sure would.

But how do you see that happening?

Who can we part with who has that kind of value, especially in a buyer's market?

The stagnant cap is going to be f$%&ing with seller's hopes - and we need to sell.

I think we're well served in this draft with the five picks. And I think there are going to be a good handful of players who go undrafted, several of which look like the type you could give an ELC to.

I won't name any names just now.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Yep, it sure would.

But how do you see that happening?

Who can we part with who has that kind of value, especially in a buyer's market?

The stagnant cap is going to be f$%&ing with seller's hopes - and we need to sell.

I think we're well served in this draft with the five picks. And I think there are going to be a good handful of players who go undrafted, several of which look like the type you could give an ELC to.

I won't name any names just now.
The automatic players I think of are Boychuck and Leddy. I can see them fetching a 2nd rd pick at minimum. I would also part with Toews at the right price. I want to keep Greene, and I say this with no knowledge other than reading what Lou said, he has fitted in as seamlessly with his new team beyond expectations. Maybe at this point, he just wants to win a cup and will settle for a one year 2M per contract. Sort of what Chara is at, at this point in his career.

Those are the 3 players I can see that would fetch picks. I would not trade them all, it would create a hole, but they can be dangled. This may also be controversial, but trading Cizikas, he could fetch value. On some teams he would be the ideal #3C. I am not expecting Martin back. The ID line will probably come to an end after these playoffs. Maybe time to dismantle it if Martin is not back. Plus Clutterbuck is on his last year of his contract next season. There are options here. Some that will tug at the heart strings.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
The automatic players I think of are Boychuck and Leddy. I can see them fetching a 2nd rd pick at minimum. I would also part with Toews at the right price. I want to keep Greene, and I say this with no knowledge other than reading what Lou said, he has fitted in as seamlessly with his new team beyond expectations. Maybe at this point, he just wants to win a cup and will settle for a one year 2M per contract. Sort of what Chara is at, at this point in his career.

Those are the 3 players I can see that would fetch picks. I would not trade them all, it would create a hole, but they can be dangled. This may also be controversial, but trading Cizikas, he could fetch value. On some teams he would be the ideal #3C. I am not expecting Martin back. The ID line will probably come to an end after these playoffs. Maybe time to dismantle it if Martin is not back. Plus Clutterbuck is on his last year of his contract next season. There are options here. Some that will tug at the heart strings.

Is Casey a UFA next summer or the following?

If he is a UFA after next season, you do not want to trade Casey yet but if Isles is having trouble making the playoff next season or the next and can't resign him to a good contract, then trading him before the deadline to a contending team as a pending UFA may get some good assets coming back. He can be the difference in getting an SC for the right team. The team unfortunately will be most interested could be the TML as he may agree to do a sign & trade deal which will get the most in the return.

Dismantling the ID line at the same time though maybe a bit hard to accept as on most nights this is the line that drives the Isles. Isles would be a lot softer without this line. Gradually replacing one piece a time, however, may do & for cap reason probably a must-do given that they should be able to find replacements within (the prospect pool).

Last edited:

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
My guy is Tyson Foerster. I didn’t get to see him this year but I saw him his rookie season in Barrie. Kid wowed me. Has an insane shot.
I’ve seen him ranked anywhere from mid 1st to late 2nd round. If we somehow trade into the late 1st or early 2nd I’d take a strong look at him depending on who’s available.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Is Casey a UFA next summer or the following?

If he is a UFA after next season, you do not want to trade Casey yet but if Isles is having trouble making the playoff next season or the next and can't resign him to a good contract, then trading him before the deadline to a contending team as a pending UFA may get some good assets coming back. He can be the difference in getting an SC for the right team. The team unfortunately will be most interested could be the TML as he may agree to do a sign & trade deal which will get the most in the return.

Dismantling the ID line at the same time though maybe a bit hard to accept as on most nights this is the line that drives the Isles. Isles would be a lot softer without this line. Gradually replacing one piece a time, however, may do & for cap reason probably a must-do given that they should be able to find replacements within (the prospect pool).
Casey has 2 years left on his deal. Clutterbuck 1 year. Martin is a UFA this fall. The ID line is winding down. I think Casey probably has more value this fall then trading him next summer. He has 2 years on a deal at a cost controlled 3.5M. There are teams looking for #3C's. And let's face under Trotz has was a #3C, I don't even consider the Isles 4th line a 4th line. He's a tough trade, Isles fans love him, he is a heart and soul player, but if we are looking for trading value for value, he is one of the players that other teams will value. If we are looking for a first or 2nd rd pick as return for this draft.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Casey has 2 years left on his deal. Clutterbuck 1 year. Martin is a UFA this fall. The ID line is winding down. I think Casey probably has more value this fall then trading him next summer. He has 2 years on a deal at a cost controlled 3.5M. There are teams looking for #3C's. And let's face under Trotz has was a #3C, I don't even consider the Isles 4th line a 4th line. He's a tough trade, Isles fans love him, he is a heart and soul player, but if we are looking for trading value for value, he is one of the players that other teams will value. If we are looking for a first or 2nd rd pick as return for this draft.

I get your thinking Soldier but I can't get behind moving him at this stage for futures. 2/3rds of the ID line are for sure coming back next season. Martin appears to have gas in the tank and has been one of our MVP's this post season. Eventually we need to move on but I'm not sure the time is now. A 2nd round pick doesn't do the Isles much at this stage. We are still waiting on multiple 1sts (MDC, Bellows, Wahlstrom, Holmstrom) to establish themselves as regulars in the lineup. The drafts really are a crapshoot. I'd prefer to trade from a position of strength and shed more salary in the process (ie: Leddy) than move Zeeker.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I get your thinking Soldier but I can't get behind moving him at this stage for futures. 2/3rds of the ID line are for sure coming back next season. Martin appears to have gas in the tank and has been one of our MVP's this post season. Eventually we need to move on but I'm not sure the time is now. A 2nd round pick doesn't do the Isles much at this stage. We are still waiting on multiple 1sts (MDC, Bellows, Wahlstrom, Holmstrom) to establish themselves as regulars in the lineup. The drafts really are a crapshoot. I'd prefer to trade from a position of strength and shed more salary in the process (ie: Leddy) than move Zeeker.
I understand what you are saying. I will say this, one of Bellows, Wahlstrom, Holmstrom got to make the jump. The stagnant cap makes having players on their ELC on the roster an utmost priority.

Tuckisles

Oct 21, 2005
Not that I want to lose him but moving Towes might allow us to include Eberle in that deal and shed some contract for cap space. Wilde, Dobson, and Aho are going to get a look and maybe Wotherspoon the following season. We have to get some cap room and with the short break before next season we will need young fresh legs. Marin, Kuhlnackl, Uncle Leo, Brass, all need to go. I would try and move Cluterbuck too, he's logged a lot of minutes and plays bigger than jis size. Ross and Otto can slot into the 4th line with Casey next year.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Eberle CANNOT be traded. He has a full NTC.

I feel like I need to sticky it on every f***ing thread.

Lol. It feels better to pretend he doesn’t. Also, I’m confident Lou is like Vito Corleone when he comes to getting guys to do things. I don’t know how he did it but he got Ladd to waive and agree to a trade to Minnesota. Ladd has a young family and signed long term here. I can’t imagine guys want to uproot their young families that Easy. Lou is very persuasive lol

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway

Modified NTC from 21/22. Full NTC until then so he won't be going anywhere.

As for trading Boychuck, that will only be possible after next season when his bonus is paid and all that remains is $1.25 million in real money for a $6 million cap hit. His modified NTC makes him somewhat hard to move though, so if we can get a 6th we should be ecstatic.

Reactions: PK Cronin

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005

Unfortunately, it is the opposite, Cizikas only has one year remaining and Clutter has two seasons. Don't get me wrong, I like Clutter as a player but, all things being equal, I would rather have an extra year on Cizikas as a center.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005

It is doubtful he will be traded this offseason, however, it is not impossible.

Eberle could approve a trade and waive his NTC, of course that would mean the Isles would have to send him to a destination and team that he would prefer to NY.

Of course, I also assume Eberle would want the receiving team to upgrade his M-NTC to a full NMC for 2021-22, so he is covered for the expansion draft.

Unfortunately, all of those factors make any Eberle deal extremely unlikely this off season. It is just too much to overcome and there are more likely candidates to be traded anyway.

Reactions: PK Cronin

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Unfortunately, it is the opposite, Cizikas only has one year remaining and Clutter has two seasons. Don't get me wrong, I like Clutter as a player but, all things being equal, I would rather have an extra year on Cizikas as a center.
Yeah you are right, for some reason I thought he was the ID line member that had 2 years left. I knew one of them had. Makes it even more logical that Lou trades him this fall. This is why the signing of Pageau was so big.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
The automatic players I think of are Boychuck and Leddy. I can see them fetching a 2nd rd pick at minimum.

Kind of need to stop right there.

There's absolutely no way in all of God's great green nature that Boychuk and his 6-million tag are bringing us anything of nominal value, much less a 2nd rounder.

There's zero market for him.

Most assume that any means by which Lou can move him and his contract will involve the Isles basically giving him away for nothing while paying the trade partner in the process.

People have to understand, the stagnant cap means that a third of the league is basically at or over the cap right now and another third can't keep it's own valuable RFAs without exceeding the cap (the Isles included).

Another fourth has just enough space to add basically one significant UFA and that's all.

That means that there are only a handful of teams whatsoever who have space "to sell" to the other teams. And just about all of those teams are already walking into this fall's draft with 10+ picks.

The market is ABSOLUTE TRASH for basically every team that wasn't part of the first Draft Lottery.

Thus, many teams are going to have to get creative and do a fair share of swallowing.

And the players of value we do have don't really have that value just now, because of how few buyers there are and how many sellers are out there. Everybody has a Leddy or Eberle or Bailey to offer, NTCs and such excluded.

Let's just friggin' hope that Lou can do something that would turn a Ladd, Hickey, and B Prospect into a Bobby Ryan or something, otherwise we're going to have trouble just keeping our own RFAs.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Kind of need to stop right there.

There's absolutely no way in all of God's great green nature that Boychuk and his 6-million tag are bringing us anything of nominal value, much less a 2nd rounder.

There's zero market for him.

Most assume that any means by which Lou can move him and his contract will involve the Isles basically giving him away for nothing while paying the trade partner in the process.

People have to understand, the stagnant cap means that a third of the league is basically at or over the cap right now and another third can't keep it's own valuable RFAs without exceeding the cap (the Isles included).

Another fourth has just enough space to add basically one significant UFA and that's all.

That means that there are only a handful of teams whatsoever who have space "to sell" to the other teams. And just about all of those teams are already walking into this fall's draft with 10+ picks.

The market is ABSOLUTE TRASH for basically every team that wasn't part of the first Draft Lottery.

Thus, many teams are going to have to get creative and do a fair share of swallowing.

And the players of value we do have don't really have that value just now, because of how few buyers there are and how many sellers are out there. Everybody has a Leddy or Eberle or Bailey to offer, NTCs and such excluded.

Let's just friggin' hope that Lou can do something that would turn a Ladd, Hickey, and B Prospect into a Bobby Ryan or something, otherwise we're going to have trouble just keeping our own RFAs.
I disagree. I can certainly see a market for Boychuck for 2 years at 6M for a team that needs D, if not this fall at the TDL. If it were a 5 year duration then I would agree, but let's not forget this is a right shooting D man, a scarce commodity, a top 4 guy, who has experience winning a cup and is a big veteran presence to teams that need a D man of his dimension.

Reactions: GrandmaSlices51631

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
It is doubtful he will be traded this offseason, however, it is not impossible.

Eberle could approve a trade and waive his NTC, of course that would mean the Isles would have to send him to a destination and team that he would prefer to NY.

Of course, I also assume Eberle would want the receiving team to upgrade his M-NTC to a full NMC for 2021-22, so he is covered for the expansion draft.

Unfortunately, all of those factors make any Eberle deal extremely unlikely this off season. It is just too much to overcome and there are more likely candidates to be traded anyway.

Yeah, that's the point. The probability is so low that I don't think anyone should be placing him into trades and expecting that to be a reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad