2020 NHL Entry Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

scott99

May 13, 2005
I'm looking at centers, a position we are sorely lacking in prospect wise. Also, shoring up the goaltending prospects.

Centers I'm looking at

Jack Finley Spokane WHL
Dylan Peterson USA NTDP
Jaromir Pytlick SS Marie OHL
Vasily Ponomarev Shawinigan QMJHL
Nils Aman Sweden
Maxim Krovyakov Russia

Goalies I'm looking at

Jan Bednar Czech Republic
Samuel Hlavaj Sherbrooke QMJHL
Will Cranley Ottawa OHL
Calle Clang Sweden
Garin Bjorkland Medicine Hat WHL

All of them might be available when we pick.

Reactions: danteipp

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017
I'm looking at centers, a position we are sorely lacking in prospect wise. Also, shoring up the goaltending prospects.

Centers I'm looking at

Jack Finley Spokane WHL
Dylan Peterson USA NTDP
Nils Aman Sweden
Maxim Krovyakov Russia

Goalies I'm looking at

Will Cranley Ottawa OHL
Calle Clang Sweden

Should have grabbed a center last year.

Reactions: scott99

scott99

May 13, 2005
Should have grabbed a center last year.
Don't get me started, REALLY wanted McMichael. He had a GREAT post draft year. Hated the Holmstrom pick.

That being said, all the centers above, none of them are anywhere near the prospect McMichael is. BUT, I like the size of some of those centers.

As far as goalies, REALLY like Bednar.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Haven't paid any attention at all to this year's draft. Not really hopeful they can get something worthwhile with so few and late picks but fingers crossed.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
2nd rd picks are good picks. A lot of 2nd rd picks have turned out to be home runs. If the Isles pick around 60, hope, hope...I would shoot for the moon.

Lights911

Dec 5, 2017
Long Island

Centers I'm looking at

Jack Finley Spokane WHL
Dylan Peterson USA NTDP
Nils Aman Sweden
Maxim Krovyakov Russia

Goalies I'm looking at

Will Cranley Ottawa OHL
Calle Clang Sweden

What is your opinion on Reece Newkirk? He’s a center that they drafted last year in the 5th round and he had a good year in the WHL this past season.

scott99

May 13, 2005
What is your opinion on Reece Newkirk? He’s a center that they drafted last year in the 5th round and he had a good year in the WHL this past season.
He seems like a good prospect. Basically a Casey Cizikas type was my first impression. He definitely had a very good post draft year.

Reactions: Lights911

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005

Centers I'm looking at

Jack Finley Spokane WHL
Dylan Peterson USA NTDP
Nils Aman Sweden
Maxim Krovyakov Russia

Goalies I'm looking at

Will Cranley Ottawa OHL
Calle Clang Sweden

If the Isles could snag Dylan Peterson in the third round, I would be very happy. Of course I would be even happier if we don't have our original pick, which would mean the Isles won the Cup and the draft pick transferred to Ottawa to complete the JGP trade.

Peterson might not have a high ceiling, but you can't teach 6' 4" and 200+ lbs in size. I could see him being a good fit in Trotz's system as a 4th liner, with the possibility of eventually growing into a 3rd line role.

He can develop at his own pace adding muscle, working on his first step and refining his offensive game. Maybe it is just me, but Peterson feels like a Lou pick, especially in a year with limited scouting.

Bednar would also be intriguing. He would be a good compliment to Skarek in the development pipeline, specifically being a couple years behind in terms of age.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
If the Isles could snag Dylan Peterson in the third round, I would be very happy. Of course I would be even happier if we don't have our original pick, which would mean the Isles won the Cup and the draft pick transferred to Ottawa to complete the JGP trade.

Peterson might not have a high ceiling, but you can't teach 6' 4" and 200+ lbs in size. I could see him being a good fit in Trotz's system as a 4th liner, with the possibility of eventually growing into a 3rd line role.

He can develop at his own pace adding muscle, working on his first step and refining his offensive game. Maybe it is just me, but Peterson feels like a Lou pick, especially in a year with limited scouting.

Bednar would also be intriguing. He would be a good compliment to Skarek in the development pipeline, specifically being a couple years behind in terms of age.

I'm actually not opposed to the idea of going for a guy with a lower ceiling but higher likelihood to reach that ceiling. The late picks that wind up being stars are few and far between.

I'd look for guys in the mold of Martin, Cizikas , Clutterbuck, they are getting older and we won't have them forever. Develop a high energy, physical line with some scoring punch internally... we really are lacking prospects with jam

Reactions: danteipp

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
I'm actually not opposed to the idea of going for a guy with a lower ceiling but higher likelihood to reach that ceiling. The late picks that wind up being stars are few and far between.

I'd look for guys in the mold of Martin, Cizikas , Clutterbuck, they are getting older and we won't have them forever. Develop a high energy, physical line with some scoring punch internally... we really are lacking prospects with jam

I hear you and I am interested in seeing Bobo Carpenter next year with the Bridgeport Sound Tigers, now that he will have had a full year to recover and gain strength coming off shoulder surgery. As someone who has also had shoulder surgery, cleaning up "loose debris", it is a slog to get back to full strength and really trust your body again. If he is healthy, Carpenter might have a chance to make it as a fourth liner down the road. Although I am not sure if that might ultimately be on the wing and not necessarily at center.

It is a shame Mason Jobst isn't a couple inches taller, because he seems to understand that if he is going to make it to the NHL, he needs to play a physical and responsible game, PK and carve out a role. Jobst had OK numbers this season with the BST, however, his lack of size and advanced age definitely work against him.

It wouldn't surprise me if Lou and co. are looking to try and add some projectable "energy" players in the draft and/or from Europe, who can eventually step in for Cizikas, Clutter, Martin, Uncle Leo, etc. at the minimum.

Reactions: GrandmaSlices51631

scott99

May 13, 2005
I think Leddy is definitely on the trade list. Unfortunately, he's never lived up to the talent level he possesses. He SHOULD be one of the best offensive dmen in the league, unfortunately it seems like he peaked in that department 2 years ago. Nobody is going to take him off our hands for a 2nd round pick.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
I think Leddy is definitely on the trade list. Unfortunately, he's never lived up to the talent level he possesses. He SHOULD be one of the best offensive dmen in the league, unfortunately it seems like he peaked in that department 2 years ago. Nobody is going to take him off our hands for a 2nd round pick.

It still disgusts me that the Hurricanes gave up a first-round pick for Brady Skjei. He is essentially a younger, poor-man's Leddy, with a significantly worse contract.

Unfortunately, it was just the perfect circumstance of injury and desperation for the Hurricanes. In a flat-cap world, the Raggie$ are probably paying a first rounder to get someone to take that contract off their cap.

And, unless I am reading them wrong, it looks like the advanced stats haven't exactly shown any improvement in Skjei's game with Carolina, albeit it is a small sample size.

It even appears that they have tried to hide him as much as possible, reversing course and having him take more offensive-zone draws in the post season vs. more defensive-zone draws in the regular season.

With respect to Leddy, there are several ways I could see to maximize the return for the Isles, if they get a bit creative.

One is to retain $1-1.5 mm in salary and get a better return in futures, which could then be used as an asset to move out other salary.

I could also see the Isles taking on a couple players due around $1-1.2 mm in real money, that they can bury in the AHL, or a player with a small cap hit but due more in real money. We have seen Lou try to add NHL/AHL vets to the Sound Tigers and get them more competitive in the past. Such a deal would kill two birds with one stone.

A team might part with more compensation if they can shed more real money in a Covid world. For the Isles owners, ideally it should be about maximizing the return and taking a bit of a one-year financial hit, so they can ice the best product when they enter their new arena and then try to maximize profits.

Reactions: The Real JT

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017
Don't get me started, REALLY wanted McMichael. He had a GREAT post draft year. Hated the Holmstrom pick.

That being said, all the centers above, none of them are anywhere near the prospect McMichael is. BUT, I like the size of some of those centers.

As far as goalies, REALLY like Bednar.
I was really hoping we’d somehow swing McMichael and Beecher,and when it was our time to pick and McMichael was still there I figured no brainer . But soon found myself cursing up a blue streak you just never know.

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
I agree he never lived up to his full offensive potential but I do believe he's worth a late 1st/2nd round pick. The contract is the issue but if they can find the right trading parter he's worth it. Find a team desperate for defense and they will pay! Toronto? Obviously they would have to be creative and offload some salary as well.

Regarding his offensive prowess he's always been frustrating. He's great skater, with hips on a swivel and can carry the puck coast to coast but he's just not creative (or consistent) enough to drive play.

Wanderson

Aug 1, 2011
Just rewatched the 2015 draft. Damn, it always makes me smile.

I wonder if we’re going to trade for a first liner this year. Maybe it’s time to trade Mayfield/Leddy if the right player is still on the boards?

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Just rewatched the 2015 draft. Damn, it always makes me smile.

I wonder if we’re going to trade for a first liner this year. Maybe it’s time to trade Mayfield/Leddy if the right player is still on the boards?

It's certainly past time to trade defence for offense. Mayfield's contract and being Dobson's position makes him an interesting option. Boychuck would be preferable but idk who's taking that contract. Anyone need to hit ac cap FLOOR?

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Don’t know much about this player but maybe we can go after a guy or 2 like this later in the draft? Obviously it’s a crapshoot but you never know you might find the next Panarin.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Don’t know much about this player but maybe we can go after a guy or 2 like this later in the draft? Obviously it’s a crapshoot but you never know you might find the next Panarin.

There are a handful of double overagers in this draft - and perhaps more than usual will be drafted.

The thing is, you not only have less time to sign your double overagers (granted, Europeans are different), but often it's not worth actually drafting them, because if they go undrafted, you can just sign them as free agents.

It's a path many teams take and sometimes it pans out. Usually, they just prove why they weren't selected the previous times they were eligible.

Reactions: SI90

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
As any good economist would do, I'm going to make an assumption.

We miss the playoffs and win the Draft Lottery. Ottawa gets 2nd and #10 and we trade them the #1 for the 2 and 10. We end up with Byfeld and Raymond.

Cue I Like Dreamin by Keeny Nolan for the background music

I guess this post hasn't aged well?:)

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
There are a handful of double overagers in this draft - and perhaps more than usual will be drafted.

The thing is, you not only have less time to sign your double overagers (granted, Europeans are different), but often it's not worth actually drafting them, because if they go undrafted, you can just sign them as free agents.

It's a path many teams take and sometimes it pans out. Usually, they just prove why they weren't selected the previous times they were eligible.

definitely have to weigh risk vs reward. I just think there’s a lot of talent around the world and some hidden gems out there. Not necessarily superstars but guys that can play. Maybe middle 6 guys or even guys like A Cizikas. Just have to find them. Sweden Finland and Russia produce a lot of talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad