GDT: 2020 NHL Entry Draft [SN, NBCSN; 6PM Central]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
Goalies are weird and they’re set for probably at least the next six or seven years in net. If he’s good cool, if he’s not no big deal

Lucky Luke

Jun 17, 2006
I am a Gatineau Olympiques fan and Poirier has played tremendously throughout his junior career to date.
Well deserved.
Bonne chance Rémi!

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
This draft isn't over folks ....

We're trading a future 7th to get back in the 7th round and take the obligatory Kamloops picks.

Don't be silly. Come on now ...

Sports2

smack my bisch up
Jul 1, 2018
There's actually a surprisingly long list of these... And even if you don't get one from these avenues there's trades and free agency. The two tools you listed aren't the only ones.

There are of course some changes but while the team has changed over the years, it still bears significant similarities to the old team. There are some things that don't change and shouldn't change, like the emphasis on good 2 way play, the emphasis on playing fast and high energy, winning 50-50s. That the team has succeeded in becoming more defensive and it's led to more playoff success, that's absolutely true. But there are some fundamentals in hockey which, in broad strokes, you don't want to change. And if they do, then you might be going down a different path.

Bourque is a young kid, if he continues to grow and bulk and develop a 2 way game, he could be extremely good. Stranges could as well, but it might take a mentality shift for him. Maybe an inspirational speech, to help him shift his focus and become the kind of player that is difficult to play against.
The Glen Gulutzan special.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Pashin went #199 to Carolina. Guess they had a really good draft.

Reactions: Satan

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
Well I'm going to be negative and say Stranges looks awful. Doesn't matter how skilled you are when you play like that. You're not gonna become a different player.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Well I'm going to be negative and say Stranges looks awful. Doesn't matter how skilled you are when you play like that. You're not gonna become a different player.

boo this man

haven’t you learned to just go with the HF consensus by now

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
boo this man

haven’t you learned to just go with the HF consensus by now

Just reminds me of some kids in minor hockey I see. It can work there but pisses off the parents of the other kids on the team haha.

He's like the Bizarro Tufte.

Reactions: LT

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
The way he plays can be adjusted the skills he has can't really be taught.

Reactions: Kcb12345

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
The way he plays can be adjusted the skills he has can't really be taught.

I dunno...the kid has played like that all his life probably, and it's gotten him to where he is. Can he really change it that much going forward? It's like taking away everything he knows about hockey and saying you're doing it wrong let's start over.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
I dunno...the kid has played like that all his life probably, and it's gotten him to where he is. Can he really change it that much going forward? It's like taking away everything he knows about hockey and saying you're doing it wrong let's start over.
It's not like everything about him is broken. All that's needed from him is a more consistent effort defensively. I've seen first-hand that he has the instincts to cover well in the defensive zone, he just doesn't hustle enough to maintain coverage.

Reactions: Kcb12345

serp

Jan 17, 2016
He's the one OHL guy they drafted and who the hell knows what will happen with that league. QMJHL at least is already playing ( albeit that might change with the big COVID outbreak on the one team ) but will the OHL ( or the WHL ) .

What happens if the OHL and WHL don't play ?

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
It's not like everything about him is broken. All that's needed from him is a more consistent effort defensively. I've seen first-hand that he has the instincts to cover well in the defensive zone, he just doesn't hustle enough to maintain coverage.

I've also read he is prone to perimeter-itis and from clips I saw he tries way too hard to do it on his own. This lead to 4th line demotions and outright benchings. Alot of warning signs. Basically exactly what your really informative scouting report said earlier. I thought you saying "minor-midget-superstar syndrome" was perfect. I'm not sure those players ever work out.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I've also read he is prone to perimeter-itis and from clips I saw he tries way too hard to do it on his own. This lead to 4th line demotions and outright benchings. Alot of warning signs. Basically exactly what your really informative scouting report said earlier. I thought you saying "minor-midget-superstar syndrome" was perfect. I'm not sure those players ever work out.

Well, that's why he's a 4th round pick. Very well might not work out, but if he does, he could be a big time game changing player for the Stars one day. Boom or bust. Type of player the Stars needed to draft. And if he doesn't work out, they drafted 3 more just like him this year too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad