Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Entry Draft (Round #1 - 10/6/20 @ 7pm ET)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Jaromir Pytlik seems to have dropped from late 1st on most lists tot mid-2nd on most lists. The latest McKenzie poll has him all the way down to 49.

I've been keeping on eye on Donovan Sebrango, and he seems to be going the other direction. He's all the way up to 47 now.

Yan Mysak was ranked 53rd, but with the way his production in Hamilton has exploded since the poll was conducted, I don't think his ranking will remain outside of the top 31 for very long at all.

Interesting to see Roni Hirvonen all the way down to 57th. I wonder if that has to do with modest production in Liiga or if it has to do with his playing primarily at wing at that level so far. Maybe folks just aren't ready to buy into a 5'9 center.

His old linemate Veeti Miettinen is destroying the JR league yet again, despite losing Hirvonen, but he didn't crack the top 67 of the McKenzie poll. Not that I expect us to be interested in a tiny winger that's older for his draft year.

Eemil Viro is ranked 52nd. He's spent considerable time in Liiga despite being a sub six-foot 17 year old. Which is impressive in and of itself.

Yan Kuznetsov is a 6'3-6'4 smooth skating D, who's already been in North America two years, and is already playing a big role at UConn despite being 17 years old. He's ranked 61st.

Biggest surprise in our range for me is Vasily Ponomaryov ranked all the way down at 46th. He has long been considered a potential 1st. I could really see Chayka champing at the bit on this one. https://www.futurescopehockey.com/post/prospect-report-vasily-ponomaryov

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
Daniil Gushchin, Connor McClennon and Jake Neighbours (maybe even Ridley Grieg) are some of my most optimistic second rounders as of now considering there is no first round pick anymore

rt

May 13, 2004
Took a peek and the only sub six foot wingers we have taken in the first four rounds of any draft in the Chayka era are Keller (who was listed as a 5’10 center at the time) and Maccelli and Darin who were 5’11 and taken in the 4th round of their drafts.

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
I try to draft the most skilled players and typically aim for forwards in the first 3 rounds. Obviously there is other factors to take into consideration, but at the end of the day it doesn't matter to me if you are 6'3 if you can't play hockey worth a damn.
This will sound arrogant obviously, but until this team starts drafting better than me i'm going to assume my system is better than theirs haha.

Last years draft list for reference (Though its obviously early, still no denying the production and skill)

14- Krebs... just the slightest edge over Tomasino
45- Nik Robertson (steal i think)
76- Cajkovic
98- Maccelli
107- Keppen... possibly Mikhail Abramov, was kinda torn but leaned Keppen
151- Constantinou
174- Likhachyov
176- Sheshin
200- Tanus
207- D. Jackson

GDT: - NHL Entry Draft 2019 - June 22nd - Round 2 - NHLN

Krebs and Tomasino both are doing GREAT
Robertson is without a doubt looking like a steal
Cajkovic is my biggest let down so far from i believe lack of effort, but when he's trying the production follows him.
Maccelli we all know
Keppen not getting the production i hoped for but is playing more depth role in Flint and was always a long term project in my eyes, while Abramov is looking like a steal for Toronto
Constantinou was great at the Kings camp and is PPG almost with the greyhounds this year
Likhachyov we invited to development and training camp. Brutal defence but a good offensive player
Sheshin is second in the MHL in scoring and is almost double the second player on his team in points
Tanus was one of the best players at the U-20 this year and is playing Pro hockey in the Liiga
Jackson is a waterbug on the ice and has a twin brother . They 1 and 2 on their USHL team in points and both top 6 in the league itself in scoring

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I have to admit. Given we don’t have a pick im not nearly as invested as years prior. That being said if Lapierre falls into 20’s I’m trying to move up from our second rounder. If he didn’t have the concussion issues he would have been a lock for my Top 5-10.

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
I'd love to make a move for Mavrik Bourque. Not many players continue to impress me as much as he does. I probably wouldn't move up this year though, not many assets to work with as it is.

jvr32

Oct 24, 2016
Jaromir Pytlik seems to have dropped from late 1st on most lists tot mid-2nd on most lists. The latest McKenzie poll has him all the way down to 49.

I've been keeping on eye on Donovan Sebrango, and he seems to be going the other direction. He's all the way up to 47 now.

Yan Mysak was ranked 53rd, but with the way his production in Hamilton has exploded since the poll was conducted, I don't think his ranking will remain outside of the top 31 for very long at all.

Interesting to see Roni Hirvonen all the way down to 57th. I wonder if that has to do with modest production in Liiga or if it has to do with his playing primarily at wing at that level so far. Maybe folks just aren't ready to buy into a 5'9 center.

His old linemate Veeti Miettinen is destroying the JR league yet again, despite losing Hirvonen, but he didn't crack the top 67 of the McKenzie poll. Not that I expect us to be interested in a tiny winger that's older for his draft year.

Eemil Viro is ranked 52nd. He's spent considerable time in Liiga despite being a sub six-foot 17 year old. Which is impressive in and of itself.

Yan Kuznetsov is a 6'3-6'4 smooth skating D, who's already been in North America two years, and is already playing a big role at UConn despite being 17 years old. He's ranked 61st.

Biggest surprise in our range for me is Vasily Ponomaryov ranked all the way down at 46th. He has long been considered a potential 1st. I could really see Chayka champing at the bit on this one. https://www.futurescopehockey.com/post/prospect-report-vasily-ponomaryov
I'm participating in a mock draft where I'm the GM of the Coyotes and I picked Ponomaryov with their second round pick. Interesting skilled player who has produced well at every international tournament for Russia (WHC-17, Hlinka, WJAC, and various international tournaments) and has passed the eye test. Though 37 points in 42 games in the QMJHL is underwhelming and Q scouts who see him consistently don't seem to rate him very highly for some unknown reason (for me).

But I'm aware he's listed 5'9.75 by NHL Central Scouting who have apparently measured him so that's a red flag. Not many centers with that size play in the NHL. Also Q is definitely not the ideal development path for him.

As someone who has seen Hirvonen quite a bit, he might appear intriguing for some since his production looks good and is already playing against men but he's 5'9, and I don't rate his natural abilities very highly. His game relies in his positioning way too much, which has helped him to get to play against players older than him until now. Might have troubles translating his offense. Then combine that with his size. Would avoid him in the top 2 rounds for now.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
How early would you take Rossi?

I don't know enough about the Euros this year but as far as NA skaters I like him at 4 behind the big two and Drysdale. Could make a case for 5th behind Perfetti as well.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I'd take Stutzle over Rossi

Stutzle looked great at World Juniors and the way he plays he would be a natural C, I know he plays Wing, but I believe he could be moved to C easily.

Reactions: hbk

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I like Rossi due to impatience. I think he can play in the league next season.

Rossi has a better shot of playing next season in the pros and having success for sure, more so than Byfield for example who shouldn't be in the pros, but shouldn't be in juniors either.

It's a bad year for us to not make the playoffs and not have a 1st rounder, complete Coyote thing to do though, I must say.

Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Did anything ever come out of this? It be the pinnacle of our luck to finally win a lottery only to have to forfeit the pick...

Recent episode of Insider Trading said the league is still investigating. It won’t be part of the upcoming GM meeting nor do they expect any announcement soon after.

They can’t take picks away. Guidelines only call for minimum $250k fine per incident. Commissioner has right to make the figure higher but that’s all.

Reactions: Kyle003p

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
Players I'd like in the second that seem possible as of now

Seth Jarvis
Martin Chromiak
Tyson Foerster
Jake Neighbours

Also still considering

Daniil Gushchin
Ridly Greig
Emil Heineman
Connor McClennon
Zion Nybeck
Lukas Reichel

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Lapierre - 3 concussions in a year may scare teams away. He was in my top 10 at start of the year.

rt

May 13, 2004
I want a center. Jaromir Pytlik or Vasily Ponomaryov would be nice. Not sure if Justin Sourdif projects as a C but we really don’t draft anyone out of the Dub in any round at all. I think Chayka’s drafted one single guy from that league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad