Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Entry Draft (Round #1 - 10/6/20 @ 7pm ET)

Status
Not open for further replies.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
I'm developing a fondness to Justin Barron. Depending on how the cards fall I think he might be my favorite in that middle section of players. I do think there is a good chance that by the end of the year this kid is considered a top 10 selection though. Sanderson could be a heck of a selection too. I like the D in this draft quite a bit more than previous years, except maybe the 2018 draft.

Based on that, Chayka is selecting a forward. He always selects the opposite of where my feelings lay. :laugh:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I'm developing a fondness to Justin Barron. Depending on how the cards fall I think he might be my favorite in that middle section of players. I do think there is a good chance that by the end of the year this kid is considered a top 10 selection though. Sanderson could be a heck of a selection too. I like the D in this draft quite a bit more than previous years, except maybe the 2018 draft.

Based on that, Chayka is selecting a forward. He always selects the opposite of where my feelings lay. :laugh:

Chayka uses tracking data to see past stat lines in addition to traditional scouting methods. He absolutely adores zone entries and exits. I don't think they'll ever draft a player that isn't above average at both. Not saying Barron is bad at them (not familiar with the player) but it's something he keys in on.

Any D taken in the 1st by Chayka has to be a 3 phase/tool guy.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Chayka uses tracking data to see past stat lines in addition to traditional scouting methods. He absolutely adores zone entries and exits. I don't think they'll ever draft a player that isn't above average at both. Not saying Barron is bad at them (not familiar with the player) but it's something he keys in on.

Any D taken in the 1st by Chayka has to be a 3 phase/tool guy.
Based on what I can see of Barron, I think he fits the bill when it comes to character, puck movement (both through passing and skating), and plays a premium position. There is one youtube video of highlights, then a few interview videos so not a lot to work with. The only thing I see that I don't like is he hunches over too much when moving and stands too straight when idle. He seems to have good foot speed and an above average top speed. He for sure needs to work on his defensive game a bit, mostly on positioning from what I can tell but a lot of young guys do.

I'd love if someone could key in and provide any extra info or video on him, unfortunately I can't watch any of his games to get a better read.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I started it but I’ve been traveling for work so much and am just worn down. I’ll get to it next week. :)
I’ll do this when there are more official rankings out there to average. Sample size was low, and the swings were too great. Want a better baseline of averages.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Henrik Lapierre is a player I loved in my viewings. He had his 3rd concussion recently and will drop like a stone on draft day. If healthy he likely would have been in my top 5-10.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Chayka's desired traits:

1. Work ethic/work rate
2. Leadership role/key player/coachability/personality profile
3. Comfortable with puck on stick in all three zones, can skate through all 3 zones with said puck
4. Ability and willingness to play in traffic
5. zone exits and zone entries
6. defense/takeaways
7. special teams play

1-2 are your qualifiers: players that do not work and are not counted on at junior levels are much less likely to make it. A guy that doesn't pass this is DND or late round grade.
3-5 are your performance markers: players that can play in all phases and enjoy having the puck translate to the NHL and they must be able to do so in traffic, not on the perimeter vs weak junior defenders
6-7 are your hockey IQ markers: players that are above average at the little details like executing on special teams and taking away the puck translate easier to the NHL

Don't think he'll ever be interested in guys like Crouse aka players that are not comfortable with the puck and have a poor hockey IQ. Crouse is still a useful player but not the type you want out of the top 60 picks.

So Chayka's ideal archetype is a key player for his team that wants the puck and isn't afraid to go to the net or play in traffic. This player is capable of taking it from his own zone all the way to the opponents net if required. He's an above average defender, and gets lots of special teams time. This goes for forwards and defenders. Anyone unable or unwilling to do these things probably gets their grade heavily nerfed.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Chayka's desired traits:

1. Work ethic/work rate
3. Comfortable with puck on stick in all three zones, can skate through all 3 zones with said puck
6. defense/takeaways
7. special teams play

1-2 are your qualifiers: players that do not work and are not counted on at junior levels are much less likely to make it. A guy that doesn't pass this is DND or late round grade.
3-5 are your performance markers: players that can play in all phases and enjoy having the puck translate to the NHL and they must be able to do so in traffic, not on the perimeter vs weak junior defenders
6-7 are your hockey IQ markers: players that are above average at the little details like executing on special teams and taking away the puck translate easier to the NHL

Don't think he'll ever be interested in guys like Crouse aka players that are not comfortable with the puck and have a poor hockey IQ. Crouse is still a useful player but not the type you want out of the top 60 picks.

So Chayka's ideal archetype is a key player for his team that wants the puck and isn't afraid to go to the net or play in traffic. This player is capable of taking it from his own zone all the way to the opponents net if required. He's an above average defender, and gets lots of special teams time. This goes for forwards and defenders. Anyone unable or unwilling to do these things probably gets their grade heavily nerfed.
You are talking about a perfect player. No such player exists.

CNYCrunchfan1

Oct 10, 2017
Chayka's desired traits:

1. Work ethic/work rate
6. defense/takeaways
7. special teams play

You forgot small and easily pummeled.

I dont know, I think a team of Crouses would be pretty tough and exhausting to play...and considering our offensive production not any worse offensively.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
Chayka's desired traits:

1. Work ethic/work rate
6. defense/takeaways
7. special teams play

Sounds a lot like Hayton and Söderstrom, and somewhat like Keller and Chychrun. I bet Chayka is fine tuning which prospect aspects convert best into NHL aspects. His first draft data is finally coming to fruition.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Sounds a lot like Hayton and Söderstrom, and somewhat like Keller and Chychrun. I bet Chayka is fine tuning which prospect aspects convert best into NHL aspects. His first draft data is finally coming to fruition.

I think Keller's struggles with traffic directly informed his love of Hayton. Hayton actively leans into other guys and has very good body control, especially along the boards. He's not bothered by traffic at all. In one of his early games he skated straight at/through Zadorov, who is no pushover. Barrett doesn't give a F.

Chychrun was a top 5 talent that got into his own head. The pressure of his draft year and the expectations that followed him made him drop a bit, along with injury concerns. But we're seeing why he was worth picking as he is turning into a #1 before our very eyes. He always had plus plus skating ability and one look at the shape he is in tells you about his work ethic. He was a good value pick at his spot for the raw tools. I assume he was also a good interview. He just needed a supportive environment and to have the draft process over with. I think this is also part of why Chayka signed him to a deal coming off an injury. It was good security for Jakob, and a good value for the team. He's already outplaying OEL.

I think he was or would have been keen on Makar and Pettersson in 2017, but they were off the board so the pick got traded. Kind of curious they went with POJ over Jokiharju.

rt

May 13, 2004
POJ had all the intangibles.

Speaking of traffic, and the 2020 draft, did you see that Dawson Mercer video above? That puck control through crowds, is going to get Chayka’s palms all sweaty.

rt

May 13, 2004
I have a feeling we will be trading this years first.
I hope not. I don’t have faith that the young core of Keller, Schmaltz, Dvorak, Garland, Hayton, OEL, Chychrun, and Soderstrom is enough to make up the foundation of a contender. I think we need more reinforcements coming up through the ranks to join this group.

We need 1st and 2nd round picks and A TON of luck. We won’t be drafting top 15 any longer, I don’t think. So we need to keep out 16-23 picks and pray we strike gold and just dumb luck our way into a Pastrnak or ROR or John Carlson.

Reactions: Jakey53

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Stutzle will go top 10 easily I think.

I was hoping Marco Rossi would have an underwhelming season and be available in the mid 20's...but alas that dream is gone as he is tearing it up.

Looking at the list of forwards rated after pick 20 looks like this:
Jack Quinn - OHL Ottawa - 26gp 14g 29pts
Mavrik Bourque - Q Shawinigan - 27gp 18g 41pts
Hendrix Lapierre - Q Chicoutimi - 19gp 2g 17pts
Thomas Bordeleau - USDP - 23gp 10g 23pts
Ty Smilanic - USDP - 13gp 3g 10pts
Theodor Niederbach - Frolunda J20 - 24gp 8g 27pts
Justin Sourdif - WHL Vancouver - 24gp 11g 22pts
Jean-Luc Foudy - OHL Windsor - 23gp 9g 22pts
Jaromir Pytlik - OHL SOO - 27gp 11g 27pts
Connor Zary - WHL Kamloops - 26gp 19g 39pts
Roni Hirvonen - Liiga Assat - 24gp 2g 6pts

Anyone have thoughts on these kids?

I started my viewings of the kids a lot earlier last season due to our team struggles so I felt more inclined to watch the junior hockey players as our team was losing.

rt

May 13, 2004
Zary was really impressive at the U18s. He’s old for his draft year. So is Mercer.

I’m starting to think they a kid who’s had an extra year of junior, I’d absolutely destroying their league AND plays a complete three-zone game, might actually be beneficial in perhaps making the NHL sooner, even if the in the Hayton slow break-in method.

Hayton didn’t have that extra year. He wasn’t dominant in the OHL in his draft year. One might argue that Mercer and Zary are closer to where Hayton was 12 months ago than where he was 24 months ago.

Just a random thought.

Reactions: Mangosteen

Mangosteen

Ground hog day no more
Apr 9, 2018
We need 1st and 2nd round picks and A TON of luck. We won’t be drafting top 15 any longer, I don’t think. So we need to keep out 16-23 picks and pray we strike gold and just dumb luck our way into a Pastrnak or ROR or John Carlson.

Totally agree with you but to assist with building fanbase if we are in the top 3 of the Pacific come deadline our first is gone maybe even sooner for the right Dman.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Pytlik is probably the top target. Zary is a fit as well.

rt

May 13, 2004
Pytlik is probably the top target. Zary is a fit as well.
We just never ever ever pick anyone out of the Dub. I’m torn on Pytlik. He checks (or Czechs) every single box. But he’s 1 week away from having been eligible for the last draft. He’s one of the oldest 1st year eligible player in this draft. Yet he’s “only” a point per game in the OHL.

Yeah, he’s an import. But he did play 25 games for SSM last season, so did have some adjustment opportunity already.

Then again, the Hounds aren’t an offensive powerhouse. His 27 points in 27 games puts him in a 3-way tie for the team lead in scoring. Then there’s Peca with 26 in 26 and Trott with 24 in 25. And another kid with 25. Basically half a dozen guys all with the same production level. Very strange.

Then I think about Ryan O’Rourke who is a throw-back, tough as nails, defensive D. Yet he’s got 13pts in 17 games for that same Hounds team? Kinda wild. Tough to get a handle on what’s happening there.

Would love if some of our Hounds fans on this forum could chime in and discuss Pytlik vs Hayton and/O’Rourke.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Not a chance Mercer will be available where the Coyotes will be picking.
I would've said something similar about Krebs and Newhook this passed spring. You never know what's going to happen on draft day but there's often a couple kids drafted much lower than they should have been.

Reactions: Jakey53 and _Del_
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig