Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Entry Draft (Round #1 - 10/6/20 @ 7pm ET)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Max Jones and Olli Juolevi?

Not game breakers but I think they've made strides since draft day. This will be a big year for both.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Fair, but in a redraft I don't really see anyone picked around him who I'd rather have.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Hjalmarsson, Demers, Goligoski, Oesterle and Lyubushkin are all UFA over the next two seasons.

LD looks fairly solid with OEL, Chychrun, Capobianco Bahl and Dineen. There are at least two good NHL players there and a couple of truly solid prospects.

RD is a little tougher. There’s Soderstrom obviously. After that? There’s a mixed grab bag of long shots like Emberson, Crotty, Gross, and Busby and Westerlund if you can even count them. So no NHL players, one ace prospect, and a bunch of very weak odds to be impact NHL players.

You don’t draft for need. I get that. But Chayka likes premium positions. RD is arguably just as premium as C. I guess the ranking is probably RC>RD>LC>LD>RW>LW>G.

Speaking specifically of 1st and 2nd rounders:

Interesting to evaluate this draft class through the lense of that value ranking. Especially if you really heavily weight the first three (RC,RD,LC) and really push those guys up the list.

Especially when you know some of Chayka’s tendencies:

He seems to shy away from prospects born very early in the draft eligibility. 2002 borns are likely to get an edge over 2001 borns. Especially Spring and Summer 02s over Fall 01s. Winter births on either side of New Years are probably equal.

Players in Russia or Western Canada probably slot in noticeably below their counterparts in other leagues. We don’t seem to dip into the KHL or WHL pool at all. Especially early.

Then there’s the whole premium person > premium production. We also shy away from glaring red flags. Won’t take a very slow or small player just because they have one other isolated elite skill that makes up for it. At least not early. Guys like Caulfield or Kaliyev as examples. Well-rounded guys who are at least average across the board, and have the “premium” intangibles, regardless of whether their production is particularly eye popping seem to be the favorites.

Maybe later today or this week I’ll put together what I think the Chayka list could possibly look like. Then hopefully someone will want to argue with me about it. :)

rt

May 13, 2004
I’m thinking something like taking a handful of the top 31 one lists out there and making a consensus ranking. Then applying a +/- to guys on the list based on my perception of the Chayka factor. Things like +1 for US, OHL or SWE but -3 for WHL or Russia. Other leagues and nations are null effect. Under 5’10? -3. Multiple cited concerns over character or compete? -5. RC/RD? +3. LW?-3. Maybe do a plus or minus sixty days From Jan 1st 2002 for DOB. >-60= -1. >+60=+1. That kind of thing. I’ll list it all out.

Might be an interesting way to look at a draft clas from start to finish.

Reactions: Heldig

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
Glad this got bumped. This draft is looking great. Just went through some of the draft eligibles for the 2020 draft and within 60 minutes i already had a list of 37 players to keep an eye on. To add perspective, last year i spent the entire year looking, only to get 39 players that interested me and around 30 actually made it on my draft list.
Pretty sour this team has already given up a third round pick this year.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I’m thinking something like taking a handful of the top 31 one lists out there and making a consensus ranking. Then applying a +/- to guys on the list based on my perception of the Chayka factor. Things like +1 for US, OHL or SWE but -3 for WHL or Russia. Other leagues and nations are null effect. Under 5’10? -3. Multiple cited concerns over character or compete? -5. RC/RD? +3. LW?-3. Maybe do a plus or minus sixty days From Jan 1st 2002 for DOB. >-60= -1. >+60=+1. That kind of thing. I’ll list it all out.

Might be an interesting way to look at a draft clas from start to finish.

I would love to see that list.

rt

May 13, 2004
Boy this Byfield sure is destroying the OHL. Leading the league in scoring. Lafreniere is doing the same in the Q. Byfield is a center and is 10 months younger.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
Boy this Byfield sure is destroying the OHL. Leading the league in scoring. Lafreniere is doing the same in the Q. Byfield is a center and is 10 months younger.
He's also 6'4 and skates like McDavid.

rt

May 13, 2004
Sad that the Coyotes seem so averse to the WHL. Zary and Schneider seem like potentially good fits. A little older than Yotes seem to like in their draft years too, I guess. Premium positions though. C and RD. Scouting reports show all-round players and comments about “premium” character stuff, too.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I was just browsing some of the top F prospects and noticed that many are old for their draft year.

Lafreniere
Lundell
Zary
Holloway
Amirov
Rossi
Pytlik
Mercer
Quinn

are all projected 1st rounders who were nearly eligible for this past draft.

Last edited:

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
One of the better players for the Q. Nice give and go with Pelletier. He’s been on my list for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad