Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Entry Draft (Round #1 - 10/6/20 @ 7pm ET)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
How high could Zayde Wisdom be drafted? Could he be a 2nd rounder?
I think he could, solid player with a good engine and some solid skill. Personally though, depending on who's left i'd aim for him in the 3rd, just cant see him as more than a really good bottom 6 player.

Been going through some games this past season and i am a big Foerster fan, can't see how he doesn't end up a player at the next levels and has top 6 potential. Wisdom's line mate Chromiak always seems to find himself in dangerous positions to score and has great vision, very composed but i want more drive from him... Chromiak's Slovakian teammate Roman Faith potentially looks like a 4th round or later pick id really like as well.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I think Hendrix Lapierre will be a great value pick in the late first. He should go much higher but won't because of his injuries and because it is a pretty deep draft. If we could somehow trade into a position to draft him, that would be fun.

Last edited:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
The head wants Marat Khusnutdinov in the 2nd. The heart wants Zayde Wisdom. Generally in these debates over the last 25 years I’ve been following the draft, the heart has a MUCH better record.

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
I'd personally lean Wisdom between the two. I want to watch more Kingston games still but both are good work horse players it seems in my eyes. Khusnutdinov is a better skater, who plays center and is likely a better puck carrier. I just think Wisdom has more offensive potential at the higher levels and also has the body type to utilize that workhorse mentality in more areas on the ice. Personally think second round is early on both unless you trade down and take them towards the end of the round.

Player i like the potential of and might be a potential 4th round or later player is Maxim Beryozkin. Plays in the MHL for Loko with Daryin, has offensive potential, great hands/vision, size, proven production, plays defence well enough and is right handed. My only problems with him are that he doesn't use his size enough and is skating is probably average

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Does Askarov's pedigree change any of the past thinking here regarding drafting goalies early? For me, no. Not really.

rt

May 13, 2004
Does Askarov's pedigree change any of the past thinking here regarding drafting goalies early? For me, no. Not really.
If we had a 3rd round pick, I’d think about taking him there. I wouldn’t use our 2nd on him. I would never draft any goalie ever in the first two rounds.

Ja Sports

May 6, 2020
New Jack Quinn hype reel :) enjoy guys

Let me know if there's a player you want covered next

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
The head wants Marat Khusnutdinov in the 2nd. The heart wants Zayde Wisdom. Generally in these debates over the last 25 years I’ve been following the draft, the heart has a MUCH better record.

Split the diff with Hirvonen? I like him at 41, but there are a ton of players in a wide range that could really go all over the place, possibly even as early as 20 is where things really shake up, but for sure, between 30 and 80, there are a ton of players that seem to have similar values across the board.

Draft has some depth to it this year, so I wouldn't be opposed to trading back. Ottawa has picks at 46, 51, 52, 64, and 74. If they are looking to move up for a particular player whom we are not targeting, pick a deal - #46 and #74 for #41? Maybe #51 and 64 instead? We still could get the player on our board at 46 or 51 and have the 3rd round capital.

One other name to consider at 41: D Joni Jurmo. I have heard that he may sneak into the back half of the 1st round. Early on before the season, he was considered for the 3rd or 4th round, I think, so he has caught up with play, and he is big. Perfect world for me - we trade back to 51 and 64 - Jurmo is still there at 51, and we wind up having him high on our board. Maybe we get lucky and one of these players falls into the early 3rd round - if none of these players are available, Pytlik is a nice consolation at 64.

If we can get two picks in the top 80 through trading back, I think we could actually find extreme value here.

My list of players that I have on eye on in trade-back scenarios:

LW Roni Hirvonen
D Joni Jurmo
D Yan Kuznetsov
C Brendan Brisson
LW Jake Neighbours
RW Ozzy Weisblatt
D Luke Prokop
LW Jaromir Pytlik

Last edited:

rt

May 13, 2004
Jake Neighbours is exactly the type of player we're lacking though.
He’s another that I don’t think will make it to our pick. Either way, if I’m not mistaken, the Coyotes have drafted only a single player from the WHL in Chayka’s time with the team. They seem to completely ignore that league.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
He’s another that I don’t think will make it to our pick. Either way, if I’m not mistaken, the Coyotes have drafted only a single player from the WHL in Chayka’s time with the team. They seem to completely ignore that league.
The one league I have season tickets to.

rt

May 13, 2004
Neighbors and Weissblatt are best friends, right? Something about Ozzy living with Jake’s family during some tough times personally?
‘Beyond his years’: Jake Neighbours shines as on-ice force, off-ice friend
'Beyond his years': Jake Neighbours shines as on-ice force,...

Both of these kids have great backstories. Really interesting articles and features on both.

They seem like very similar players, too oddly. Neither is tall but both are quite stout. Both extremely highly regarded for character and work ethic. Both combine a bunch of grit and nastiness with a notable amount of skill. Both seen as all-situation, Jack-of-all-trades types that could end up 2nd liners/2nd unit PP types in the NHL or could just as easily end up 4th liners with 1st unit PK duties. Both generally ranked from 20th-40th in the draft.

Are you getting Matthew Tkachuk or Kyle Chipchura or Curtis Lazar?

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
This is too good of a draft to only have four picks. Hopefully we can unload some shit like Stepan and Raanta and get a few mid-rounders back in the process.

rt

May 13, 2004
‘Beyond his years’: Jake Neighbours shines as on-ice force, off-ice friend
'Beyond his years': Jake Neighbours shines as on-ice force,...

Both of these kids have great backstories. Really interesting articles and features on both.

They seem like very similar players, too oddly. Neither is tall but both are quite stout. Both extremely highly regarded for character and work ethic. Both combine a bunch of grit and nastiness with a notable amount of skill. Both seen as all-situation, Jack-of-all-trades types that could end up 2nd liners/2nd unit PP types in the NHL or could just as easily end up 4th liners with 1st unit PK duties. Both generally ranked from 20th-40th in the draft.

Are you getting Matthew Tkachuk or Kyle Chipchura or Curtis Lazar?
Forgot to mention Ridly Greig who is right in the mix with these guys, too. All three have really good shares of total team offense (WHL is by far the lowest scoring in the CHL) and really good pts/20min played rates.

Neighbors seems to be the biggest, meanest but also the least of the skating ability between the three, and is the one of the three who does not have any amount of projection at Center.

Weisblatt is true middle ground for size. Possibly the highest for skill. Splits time at C/W but is big enough to conceivably be a center.

Greig is the full time center but also the smallest of the three and more likely a winger at the next level.

All three are seen as decent skill (over a ppg in the WHL as a draft eligible is nothing to sneeze at). All three are seen as three zone, 200ft players. All three are seen as gritty, and physical. All three are seen as all-situation players (PP/PK) who could contribute up and down a line up. All three are seen as very strong character players with leadership qualities.

Very, very similar from a paper scouting perspective. Reading reports and looking at numbers, they seem very alike.

Anyone actually watched them play enough to compare/contrast?

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Okay..... y'all got the draft lottery conditions straight now????

If you do..... explain it to me because it's confusing as hell. Other than we're probably getting screwed again... even if we still had our first pick. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad