2020 NHL Entry Draft - Never too early....

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Gotta look at their weight. He's 17 and already 180 lbs. The kid is stout. I'm barely 5'10, but at 185-190 lbs, there aren't many guys I can't beat in the corners, or in a battle in front of the net. Body positioning and technique go a long way in those scenarios, too.

At the end of the day, edges, balance, and skating ability will determine the future of pretty much every prospect ever drafted

No doubt about it but if you can draft a player who can do those things well and who also has good size that said player uses to his advantage, well that is a scout's dream.
Take Kirby Dach for example. His ability to use his long reach is arguably his best asset. Then there's a guy like Tom Wilson who is skilled and very physical - ops are well aware when he is on the ice. He is hated by ops players and fans alike but they would love to have him on their team.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
No doubt about it but if you can draft a player who can do those things well and who also has good size that said player uses to his advantage, well that is a scout's dream.
Take Kirby Dach for example. His ability to use his long reach is arguably his best asset. Then there's a guy like Tom Wilson who is skilled and very physical - ops are well aware when he is on the ice. He is hated by ops players and fans alike but they would love to have him on their team.

No, I would not love Tom Wilson and his disgustingly dirty cheap shots on the Hawks. He is a piece of crap.

Malaka

you know, **** it, let’s just not think so much
Mar 3, 2020
www.youtube.com
All of you are setting me up for disappointment with getting a forward like Rossi this year.

We’re going to beat Edmonton and lose in the first round guys. Meanwhile our original spot or Team A or whoever is set for 8th OA will jump to 2OA.

This is the way

TheDachKnight

Formerly known as TPOEJ6489
Aug 16, 2014
Imo Stutzle is the second best, Rossi is the third best prospect this year.

I think both have all the things you'd want in a player and will be special, dynamic players but you can't ignore that skating from Stutzle. Opens up so much.

Very true about Stutzle’s skating. I think Rossi is up to 4 for me and Stutzle is at 3. You don’t like Byfield? I really like his ceiling and the fact that he’s already this good while still being a pretty raw player. I think he could be a consistent 90+ point player in his prime while being a solid two-way player.

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
Very true about Stutzle’s skating. I think Rossi is up to 4 for me and Stutzle is at 3. You don’t like Byfield? I really like his ceiling and the fact that he’s already this good while still being a pretty raw player. I think he could be a consistent 90+ point player in his prime while being a solid two-way player.

I just don't like guys who consistently show lacking effort. Those guys barely ever change, and will always leave you with some thoughts of what he could be but isn't.

I don't think Byfield is Perlini levels, but he shows inconsistent effort. All the talk about his size but he doesn't really use it all that much except the long reach (the only thing you can't 'not use').

I'm biased towards the Toews', Hammers etc so I might be harsh, but you have legit studs around his ranks who I think will be bigger impact players. Like Rossi plays the way people want Byfield to play.

But ofc I still can't ignore that package. He has the tools to put it all together and become a Malkin type, but will he I don't know.

I would probably take him 4th, just coz the rest of the guys have some questions marks too. But I don't think Stutzle or Rossi have any (they will improve the 1 or 2 weaknesses I'm sure).

goldenbladz1

Feb 11, 2015
I just don't like guys who consistently show lacking effort. Those guys barely ever change, and will always leave you with some thoughts of what he could be but isn't.

I don't think Byfield is Perlini levels, but he shows inconsistent effort. All the talk about his size but he doesn't really use it all that much except the long reach (the only thing you can't 'not use').

I'm biased towards the Toews', Hammers etc so I might be harsh, but you have legit studs around his ranks who I think will be bigger impact players. Like Rossi plays the way people want Byfield to play.

But ofc I still can't ignore that package. He has the tools to put it all together and become a Malkin type, but will he I don't know.

I would probably take him 4th, just coz the rest of the guys have some questions marks too. But I don't think Stutzle or Rossi have any (they will improve the 1 or 2 weaknesses I'm sure).

i'm with you on the effort part and why I like Toews, Keith and Hossa and wanted Turcotte as I believed he was in that mold. Dach was also questioned about his consistency and effort but I can say I was wrong about him and glad to have Dach or Turcotte. Hopefully Byfield can prove people wrong as well, still a very young kid and probably the youngest in the draft.

Reactions: TPOEJ6489

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
i'm with you on the effort part and why I like Toews, Keith and Hossa and wanted Turcotte as I believed he was in that mold. Dach was also questioned about his consistency and effort but I can say I was wrong about him and glad to have Dach or Turcotte. Hopefully Byfield can prove people wrong as well, still a very young kid and probably the youngest in the draft.

Yeah that's fair. Too bad for Byfield that he doesn't get the playoffs to show out and silence the scouts' worries like Dach did.

Although to be fair Dach's 'inconsistency label' was different and based more on a lull in production not effort. The way I see it, Byfield's is more prominent coz it shows at tournaments etc too.

Reactions: TPOEJ6489
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad