Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
I don't necessarily think that a goalie needs to be drafted high, but don't blame this shitshow on the current goalies being bad then. The only way they're going to be able to improve in that area is from luck in later rounds and so then they need to focus on being better despite the goalies being crap.

Is Askarov ideal choice for me? No not really, but will I be really pissed if he's the pick? No not really.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Mac will be much less of a question mark after this season.

Not really, he'll be 23 years old with 1.5 seasons playing for a **** team under his belt.

Yeah I'd much rather keep drafting goalies in the 4th round and beyond, just praying that one of them works out. Rather than draft a top 5-10 talent, that's cool.

Like I said, it's not that he would be the be all end all. Just the whole aversion to getting a goalie early on just because he's a goalie is ****ing nuts to me. In the same breathe some of you are saying our goaltending is awful and costing us, you're saying to avoid Askarov. Hope Domingue works out lmaoooooooo

It's the Saquon Barkley dilemma. Yeah you might be drafting a great talent but it's at a fungible position where teams don't want to spend premium assets and most top goalies aren't drafted with a top five or ten pick. How many high goalies were really a success? Fleury at #1 OA has a HOF career though he was never the best goalie in the league. Luongo at #4 at least a borderline HOF career (no Cups though), Price at #5 was pretty good, not that the Habs have won anything with him though.

But you have other guys like DiPietro who was streaky and injury prone, Kari Lehtonen at #2 OA, Al Montoya at #6 OA, Pascal Leclair at #8 OA. You're picking a goalie that high you BETTER get it right cause it's a double whammy if you don't. And I'm not sure a team with as many holes as we do should be the ones to draft a goalie that high, how is this organization the best situation for Blackwood, or Askarov to play well?

NHL.com - The National Hockey League

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
So who are the 5 best d-men in this draft?
It looks like most mock drafts are very forward heavy at the top. With how high we’re gonna be picking, it’s probably gonna be a forward with our first pick. We likely draft a dman with the late first we get for Hall. Maybe we can land Sanderson or Schneider.

I want Byfield, he’s a big boy.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
It looks like most mock drafts are very forward heavy at the top. With how high we’re gonna be picking, it’s probably gonna be a forward with our first pick. We likely draft a dman with the late first we get for Hall. Maybe we can land Sanderson or Schneider.

I know you never know how things will look a couple years down the line.

But we have Nico, we have Hughes, we have Zacha, are we going to draft another center?

Meanwhile our D is iffy now, we have no one in Bing, Greene is 37, Vat's is a UFA with serious concussion issues, Subban (I'm assuming) is not near what he once was and is clearly not a long term piece.

We need to find an impact d-man, and they are near impossible to find outside the draft.

So maybe we don't use our top pick on a D, but if we get a #1 for Hall, I am using that plus whatever to trade up and pick one.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

But we have Nico, we have Hughes, we have Zacha, are we going to draft another center?

Meanwhile our D is iffy now, we have no one in Bing, Greene is 37, Vat's is a UFA with serious concussion issues, Subban (I'm assuming) is not near what he once was and is clearly not a long term piece.

We need to find an impact d-man, and they are near impossible to find outside the draft.

So maybe we don't use our top pick on a D, but if we get a #1 for Hall, I am using that plus whatever to trade up and pick one.

We have solid wing prospects but no high end ones, and with Hall leaving there will be a need for a high end scoring wing.

We could address that externally, but using a high end pick isn’t a bad idea either. Especially since BPA should rule the day.

Reactions: vtdevils2k

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
We have solid wing prospects but no high end ones, and with Hall leaving there will be a need for a high end scoring wing.

We could address that externally, but using a high end pick isn’t a bad idea either. Especially since BPA should rule the day.
We do have a plethora of wings at the NHL level though. Palms Bratt Gusev Wood Boqvist.

Not to say a goal scoring winger wouldn't be helpful but the real need is on D.

And while I'm not such a BPA guy because BPA is a muddy idea to begin with, but the in general importance of a d-man as opposed to a winger does need to be factored in.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ

Drafting based on need in the top 10 is silly. You always should take BPA. It’s easier for a C to switch to wing than wing to C anyway. Or trade down for a D.

Reactions: vtdevils2k

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Drafting based on need in the top 10 is silly. You always should take BPA. It’s easier for a C to switch to wing than wing to C anyway. Or trade down for a D.
I'm open to a trade down.

But you can't go year after year saying "our D stinks" and then not address it.

We did draft a lot of guys last year, see where that goes, but obviously none were 1st round talents.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
I'm open to a trade down.

But you can't go year after year saying "our D stinks" and then not address it.

We did draft a lot of guys last year, see where that goes, but obviously none were 1st round talents.

Yeah I absolutely see where you’re coming from. It’s probably best to trade down for a D unless a guy from that top echelon of forwards is still available. We could also always ship someone out for a D if drafting yet another high ceiling F makes a roster player expendable.

Reactions: devilsblood

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Getting another 1st in a Hall trade would be really nice. Let’s just hope it’s a wild card team that ends up missing in the end :naughty:

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net

Byfield would give this team such a nice spine if he realizes his potential. You get a bona fide #1 C, Hughes doesn't have to play their best players, Hischier can become one of the best middle six centers in the league. Seems like there is enough talent on the wing to spread around and develop some as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad