Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

DigiDuck

More covfefe please.
Jan 11, 2019
Burbank
I doubt we'll get a Top-3 pick if Chicago finishes behind us. Too much "luck" in that city. I'm tempering expectations to 5-8 range, not that a Top-10 pick in this draft is anything to sneeze at.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I don`t buy the Chicago ''luck'' outside of them getting a lot of outdoor games which is a decision not a ''lottery''. Why the hell would they let NJ pick 2 times in a few years then?

But I also don`t think we`ll finish bottom 3. But we should be around top 10 for sure. Man, would love to get Byfield but not see it happening at all.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Murray ruined the lottery chances last season by a coaching change. And as soon as Anaheim got coached by Murray turned it a different leaf on the team. Because jobs were at stake.

But this is not the draft to win in for pride. When was the last time you saw the sharks bottom of the west the past few seasons? When was the last time you saw the Kings tanking after there 2 SC championship runs.

I’m telling you ALL! This draft counts for all the marbles. And everyone is gunning for it since the gate opened with what they have on the current roster.

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
I doubt we'll get a Top-3 pick if Chicago finishes behind us. Too much "luck" in that city. I'm tempering expectations to 5-8 range, not that a Top-10 pick in this draft is anything to sneeze at.

Mid-top-10 is all you can ever really count on. Even the Tank Champion is less than 50/50 to be in the top 3.

Zegras11

Jun 22, 2019
Murray ruined the lottery chances last season by a coaching change. And as soon as Anaheim got coached by Murray turned it a different leaf on the team. Because jobs were at stake.

But this is not the draft to win in for pride. When was the last time you saw the sharks bottom of the west the past few seasons? When was the last time you saw the Kings tanking after there 2 SC championship runs.

I’m telling you ALL! This draft counts for all the marbles. And everyone is gunning for it since the gate opened with what they have on the current roster.
Sharks gunning for the top pick so the Sens can draft a top prospect? How kind.

TopShelfWaterBottle

Registered
Mar 16, 2014

Sharks first goes to Ottawa via the Erik karlsson trade

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho

So much wrong here.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

You realize we stole the draft by drafting Zegras at 9th overall last year. If we had just swapped one pick higher, then we might have gone with a need selection in D Broberg. Instead, we were forced in BPA. I believe it was a MTL draft video that showed Zegras was projected to be #3 overall on the GM's list.

I'm a huge Broberg fan, but even I was ecstatic to land Zegras in the draft! We stole him!

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
You realize we stole the draft by drafting Zegras at 9th overall last year. If we had just swapped one pick higher, then we might have gone with a need selection in D Broberg. Instead, we were forced in BPA. I believe it was a MTL draft video that showed Zegras was projected to be #3 overall on the GM's list.

I'm a huge Broberg fan, but even I was ecstatic to land Zegras in the draft! We stole him!
I believe there is even a chance that Zegras ends up better than Hughes. Zegras has this going for him: those insanely good passes he makes in college are being passed to guys with not much finishing ability, in the NHL he will be passing to legit NHL caliber players. Hopefully by then Comtois is a top 6 forward.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Sucks to be garbage this year but this draft could really round out our prospect pool. We have quite a few good ones. Just need to sprinkle in an elite talent and a little more d depth and we should be well positioned going forward. I'd love to get another first rounder.

Reactions: Deuce22

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
This draft is sooo good, the more footage I watch the more I like

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Sucks to be garbage this year but this draft could really round out our prospect pool. We have quite a few good ones. Just need to sprinkle in an elite talent and a little more d depth and we should be well positioned going forward. I'd love to get another first rounder.

Right now, I have that "Peter Holland" feeling about our current NHL youths in Terry, Steel, Jones, and Comtois. Lundestrom is still young, but could be a shutdown 3C in the future? We need a couple of our forwards to pan out. Zegras is playing wing when playing with other top talents. Tracey is exceeding expectations. BO is doing solid. All of our youths looked great or are looking great in juniors, but at the NHL level, they're not even middling.

I'd go back to drafting defensemen because at least we know they can hit on a higher rate with them than forwards and the fact we really don't have depth in our system is bad. LaCombe is our top prospect and he's a few years away.

Zegras is our first top-10 pick in a long while, Ritchie was the previous one in 2014 and we're still waiting for Ritchie to take off. Our seventh rounder in Ritchie's draft year has shown more promise. Just identifying that drafting higher doesn't mean a prospect will pan out. And right now, we have a plehtora of first and second round forwards still struggling at the NHL level today, but are too good to be in the AHL. That's exactly the Peter Holland scenario. (Fortuitously, Holland got us two 2014 draft picks - a 2nd rounder (for playing 25 NHL games with the Leafs) and a 7th rounder, who where D Pettersson and F Kase, respectively.)

Reactions: Kalv

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018

Zegras??? That is atleast 2 years of making an impact? Imagine if no coaching change and Anaheim had higher lottery odds of getting Kaapo or Jack Hughes or Dach. At that spot of top 3. Anaheim wouldn’t have to worry about it’s forward core. We would have one able to play next season. Even Byram was at there finger tips for the back end.

Zegras is no where close to making a impact in the NHL. And I argued the same with Getz2perry on the main boards. Your boy Terry whom you said was gonna be a game changer this next season is stinking it up. And isn’t getting Ducks to the promise land.

Steel as young as he is. Isn’t the dynamic center that will take over the franchise after Getzlaf. And I’m not taking Zegras as either. Ducks need this draft 2020 to count. That’s being top 5 and getting in that dynamic generational center or wing group before defenseman follow.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Zegras??? That is atleast 2 years of making an impact? Imagine if no coaching change and Anaheim had higher lottery odds of getting Kaapo or Jack Hughes or Dach. At that spot of top 3. Anaheim wouldn’t have to worry about it’s forward core. We would have one able to play next season. Even Byram was at there finger tips for the back end.

Zegras is no where close to making a impact in the NHL. And I argued the same with Getz2perry on the main boards. Your boy Terry whom you said was gonna be a game changer this next season is stinking it up. And isn’t getting Ducks to the promise land.

Steel as young as he is. Isn’t the dynamic center that will take over the franchise after Getzlaf. And I’m not taking Zegras as either. Ducks need this draft 2020 to count. That’s being top 5 and getting in that dynamic generational center or wing group before defenseman follow.
Hughes, Kakko, and Dach have a lot of potential. But none are exactly tearing it up. To say Ducks forward core would be set if they had one of them is a huge stretch. No one can say at this point that they are going to be better than Zegras. That is speculation, and premature speculation at that.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Why is Zegras needing time to make an impact a knock on him? Ryan Getzlaf took time to make the NHL and be an impact player, and he’s one of their franchise-best.

He doesn’t miraculously become a better prospect if he is a rookie in the NHL now and doing decently.

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
There's like a thousand mock drafts out there. Most draft picks were projected to go higher than they did by *someone*.

I agree Zegras is probably a little better than your average No. 9 pick, and the drop-off after him was big.

NOTHING IS CERTAIN AND EVERYTHING IS PROBABILITIES, but in general a guy holding his own in the NHL is a teenager is a good sign. But Zegras will still be a teenager next year too.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

What are you rambling on about?

I was never high on terry, get that out of your head. I think hell be a solid player but no where near some of the hype he gets around here.

Zegras imo was top 5 last year talent wise.... idk why it matters if hes not ready this year or next.... hell hughes and kakko arnt exactly showing they are nhl ready players either. Getting dach or zegras was a huge win for us... and i feel like if we were any higher in the draft we would have ended up with seider or broberg. You seem to undersell zegras potential a lot

Reactions: Kalv

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Why is Zegras needing time to make an impact a knock on him? Ryan Getzlaf took time to make the NHL and be an impact player, and he’s one of their franchise-best.

He doesn’t miraculously become a better prospect if he is a rookie in the NHL now and doing decently.
Because you're talking to person who thinks any prospect that doesn't come straight into the NHL competing for the calder is a bust and not worth having.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia

His weight is an issue. An extra season to fill out his frame might be necessary, but no doubt that he has tools that could make that moot. He's going to need some size on his line at the very least, which we have with Ritchie, Comtois, and Jones.

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
His weight is an issue. An extra season to fill out his frame might be necessary, but no doubt that he has tools that could make that moot. He's going to need some size on his line at the very least, which we have with Ritchie, Comtois, and Jones.

As a fan I'll gladly wait 1-2 years if it means he'll be more physically mature for the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad