Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I absolutely love Byfield to man-crush levels, but it's clear I didn't give Lafreniere anywhere near enough credit. Dude is a monster, I know it's VERY early, but he's at 34 in 13 games and I could see him challenging McDavid's pace in his draft year as well. And as far as I know, there's no prospect who is the potential equivalent of DeBrincat as a teammate.
I kind of get John Tavares vibes from Lafreniere.

I think he'll be less good than McDavid/Matthews/MacKinnon/Eichel, but comfortably better than Hughes/Hischier/Laine/etc

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
I would love to get a lottery pick from some team this year. It looks to be a tough choice for pick 1 but a choice I want to make

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I'm just gonna be tracking Helge Grans all year. LoL He's 6'3, 192 lbs RHD that shoots right playing with the J20 team in the SuperElit. In 14 games, he's got 2 goals and 14 points. His 16 points is tied for 2nd on the team in scoring.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
I know the best option is usually draft BPA, but I really want them to focus on defensemen for this draft. Our defensive prospect pool is absolute trash at this point.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I know the best option is usually draft BPA, but I really want them to focus on defensemen for this draft. Our defensive prospect pool is absolute trash at this point.

It's gonna be a long while till we see a good defensive prospect, unless Simon Benoit develops faster and into Manson 2.0.

Draft of defensemen
2014: 2nd rd = Montour and Pettersson; 5th rd = Berkovitz (in the NCAA with Army)
2015: 1st rd = Larsson
2016: 3rd rd = Mahura
2017: = none =
2018: 6th rd = Drew
2019: 2nd rd = LaCombe; 4th rd = Thrun; 6th rd = Francis and Hill

Our last talented drafted defenseman was Larsson in 2015. We haven't drafted a defenseman in the 2nd round or higher since 2015 until this past draft. We need to be drafting top talented defensemen from now on within the first two round to keep a balance in our system. I'm not saying it's set into stone to draft a defenseman as we should draft BPA, but maybe we can find a group of talent that does include defensemen.

I was high on Broberg this past draft, but I'm smiling from ear-to-ear knowing we got C Zegras as consolation for missing out on Broberg. This coming draft, I'm expecting to be a playoff team and looked at talents in the bottom of the first round or high second. Helge Grans is a 2nd round/bottom 1st round defenseman projection this past summer and he fits a lot of needs for our system: 6'3, RHD, and likes to have some offense. Unfortunately, it appears his early trajectory could be making him into the teens.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Idk if anyone mentioned but guhle brother is a projected first rounder. He's super physical from the film I'm watching

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
As of right now, we're in a perfect spot to draft Drysdale. While I'd love to make the playoffs, adding a prospect like Drysdale to our team would be huge for us.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Byfield or bust
I would love to have Byfield, but I think it will be very hard for us to out-tank Detroit, Minnesota, LA, NYR, and Ottawa, so realistically, I think Drysdale would be an awesome target for us. But of course, I will be hoping for us to win a top 3 pick.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Just saw the highlight of Kaiden Guhle. He reminds me of an offensive Manson. I really do like his physical play and would really welcome that kind of play here, tbh. If Lindholm and Manson are out, then we do not have any real bite on the blue line. Do we have someone with bite in our system? Maybe Benoit and Thrun? But Kaiden's style is something I'd like on the PK and at the end of games. And with him adding offense, then I'm pretty happy. And his trajectory to the NHL looks to be far more quicker route than Benoit and Thrun.

If you read up on all the scouting report, then you'll realize that Kaiden is a far more mature prospect than his older brother. That's probably why Kaiden is slated for the lower teens in the first round of a few mock drafts and why Brendan was selected 51st overall in the 2nd round.

But with the say Kaiden is producing as a 17-year old in the WHL this year compared to his rookie year, then Kaiden could see his stock raise closer towards the top-10.
  • 2018-19: Games = 65; 3g + 14a = 17 pts
  • 2019-20: Games = 25; 6g + 12a = 18 pts

Crazy!

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I'm still holding out that the Ducks make the playoffs, so we're looking at the 20's range. At that range, I'm still hoping for D Helge Grans from Sweden. 6'3", RHD. In 21 games so far, he's 3g + 18a = 21 points. He's not listed in the 1st round in several mocks, but he might be rising.

TopShelfWaterBottle

Registered
Mar 16, 2014
I would love to have Byfield, but I think it will be very hard for us to out-tank Detroit, Minnesota, LA, NYR, and Ottawa, so realistically, I think Drysdale would be an awesome target for us. But of course, I will be hoping for us to win a top 3 pick.
Last draft Chicago went from 13-3 and LA from 2-5 just because they finish lower then us doesn’t mean they’re guaranteed.
Yes it involves a little luck but hey who knows

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Unfortunately I don't think luck* favors us the way luck* favors Chicago.

*the NHL
Is there really some basis to think like that? I think it would be much more obvious if they wanted to do something like this on a big scale. Rangers have even bigger fanbase, why they lost to NJ?
Personally I don`t see any ''rigging'' but please explain to me if there are some things I haven`t seen.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
With the amount of money the NHL has, i believe its entirely possible they have a system in place to influence the lottery but only by a little bit.
I find it odd that both west coast teams fell in the draft and that a original 6 like Chicago moves up to 3rd overall and that a east coast team trying to get the finishing touches on its rebuild moved up to #1.

I think the NHL was counting on NJ to make moves in the offseason like they did but now its backfired on them as they are one of the worst teams in the east again.

Not So Mighty

Enjoy your freedom, you wintertimer.
Aug 2, 2010
Omicron Pesei 8
Is there really some basis to think like that? I think it would be much more obvious if they wanted to do something like this on a big scale. Rangers have even bigger fanbase, why they lost to NJ?
Personally I don`t see any ''rigging'' but please explain to me if there are some things I haven`t seen.

I was just making a joke that I don't actually believe, but the NHL is a business and I think it's completely plausible that they don't want to lose what a goldmine Chicago has become compared to what they were right before.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Justin Barron is out indefinitely with a blood clot, he's some I had a lot of interest in us selecting with our first rounder. Hope everything is ok for him.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
Are there any elite OFD in this draft?

I would probably consider him more of a two-way defender but Jamie Drysdale's offense is high end, he's over a point per game in the OHL this year. The Q has two very good OFDs in Jeremie Poirier and Lukas Cormier. Poirier I'm so so on because his defensive play leaves a lot to be desired but he has one of the highest offensive ceilings of draft eligible defenders this year. Cormier's offensive game is very advanced, great skater and loves joining the rush but he's undersized and that will ultimately be the question of whether he can overcome that.

DigiDuck

More covfefe please.
Jan 11, 2019
Burbank
After reading up on him, I like Drysdale. I mean, comparison to Cale Makar is a good start. He seems good in both ends and could be a dynamic offensive catalyst and should be a good PPQB, and he's a RS. Plus, there's enough top-end forward talent this draft that he might fall outside of the Top 5. (I see Ducks picking between 6-12)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad