2020 NHL Draft Thread: Who knows how many more days until this year's hockey tryouts? - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

fentonsbrainchild

Jul 29, 2019
Or Brodin over, but your point stands, and I agree with everything else you said. I think that Dumba, and/or the 25oa, will be used to get a C from someone like MTL. Sucks, because Dumba's value has to be down now, but MN can't be relying on Khovanov to be a future top 6 C. He had a nice year in the Q, but that's a long way away from being a top 6 NHL C. Hentges had a bit of a lost year due to injury, the Boldy experiment at C failed, leaving us with JEE as an offensively challenged #2C, an AHL'er(Sturm), and wingers playing C (Kunin, Donato). Oh, and Rask o_O.

We have NHL Dmen, and promising dmen prospects in Menell, Belpedio, and Addison. Belpedio can and has played the Left side. Our top D pairing is set for the foreseeable future, as is our top 4. No need to spend a 1st on a LHD, when there is no player that promises greatness, or anything near that. We already reached for a 1st round dman in 2018...let's not repeat that mistake.
I’m not going to give up on Boldy playing C because he couldn’t put up points over a ten game stretch as an 18 year old. He played really well despite the lack of points.

Reactions: AKL

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Wild have Pens pick and 2nd and 3rd picks for LHD. Wild will probably protect 4 D in expansion draft. And we will probably re-sign both Brodin and Soucy. At the very least the Wild will be able to protect Suter and one of Brodin/Soucy.

I think Guerin is going to instead look at Dumba and then to Mennell, Belpedio, and Addison and think 1 of them can step in at that 2nd pairing RHD. Or just move Soucy over.
And if Brodin and Soucy decide to walk? Minnesota can’t force them to stay. Both are UFA. Soucy this offseason, Brodin next.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Would you guys consider trading Minnesota's and Pittsburgh's 1st round picks for Montreal's assuming they stay at 8?

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Personally I would not move both picks for #8 unless one of Rossi, Stutzle, Byfield or Drysdale is available. I think those guys are building block types who would be worth it.

What do we think about Dawson Mercer? His feet aren't great but he has great hands and is incredibly productive. Reminds me a bit of Mark Stone in that he is RH, has great hands and slow feet. I have heard he may be more of a RW but I like the player. You can learn to skate but you can't teach hockey sense.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
I’m all for BPA usually, but unless Drysdale is sitting there when we pick, we should be going for a center or the best forward available. The Pens 1st, our 2nd and later picks, fine, pick BPA, but we have defensemen in the system, and even if our defense takes a hit, we’ll be fine. We NEED good forwards. You don’t win in this game unless you have better forwards than we currently have.

While I agree with this sentiment, I won't be disappointed if GMBG takes someone like Sanderson. I feel like shrewd GMs value talent over fit at the draft. It takes too long for these guys to develop and too much can change over the 2-4 years it takes these guys to reach the NHL. Also, we have no defenseman in the system who look like surefire Top 4 guys.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
While I agree with this sentiment, I won't be disappointed if GMBG takes someone like Sanderson. I feel like shrewd GMs value talent over fit at the draft. It takes too long for these guys to develop and too much can change over the 2-4 years it takes these guys to reach the NHL. Also, we have no defenseman in the system who look like surefire Top 4 guys.

I get this, but we also have 5 top-4 defensemen on the roster right now, with a handful of guys who very well could be top-4 in the future. I'm all on board with grabbing a LD at Pitt's 1st if it makes sense to take one that's available (ie. NOT a Johansson situation), but I personally don't believe Sanderson will be the BPA at 11 no matter how the first 10 go.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
I get this, but we also have 5 top-4 defensemen on the roster right now, with a handful of guys who very well could be top-4 in the future. I'm all on board with grabbing a LD at Pitt's 1st if it makes sense to take one that's available (ie. NOT a Johansson situation), but I personally don't believe Sanderson will be the BPA at 11 no matter how the first 10 go.
If Laf, Byfield, Raymond, Stutzle, Holtz, Rossi, Lundell, Drysdale & Perfetti go 1-9 that would leave Quinn, Askarov & Sanderson as the top remaining prospects (based off consensus lists). I would rather take Sanderson than reach for a C. If we like a C in the 12-20 range, we can always trade up using the Pittsburgh pick.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
If Laf, Byfield, Raymond, Stutzle, Holtz, Rossi, Lundell, Drysdale & Perfetti go 1-9 that would leave Quinn, Askarov & Sanderson as the top remaining prospects (based off consensus lists). I would rather take Sanderson than reach for a C. If we like a C in the 12-20 range, we can always trade up using the Pittsburgh pick.

If those 9 really do all go top 9, there's Quinn, Sanderson, Askarov, Zary, Mercer, Holloway, Bourque, and Gunler at the very least who have been projected to go in that 10-16 range. The choice is by absolutely no means limited to Quinn, Askarov or Sanderson at that point.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
If those 9 really do all go top 9, there's Quinn, Sanderson, Askarov, Zary, Mercer, Holloway, Bourque, and Gunler at the very least who have been projected to go in that 10-16 range. The choice is by absolutely no means limited to Quinn, Askarov or Sanderson at that point.[/QUOTE]

Never said we have to pick one of those guys. Earlier you said that you dont believe Sanderson could be BPA at 11, "no matter how the first 10 go." I disagree. Right now he looks like he will probably be among the best prospects available if we pick at 11 which suggests to me that the Wild front office is going to look into him as a possible selection. They would be foolish not to. If he is the clear best player you have to take him. If there is a C that you value equally then by all means take the C. Especially when at least a handful of those guys listed above are likely going to be available with Pittsburgh's pick.

Imagine having Sanderson, Brodin, Dumba, Spurgeon, Addison as a defensive core for the future. That could be a genuinely dominant group. It's not like we wont get usage out of the pick if it is not a scoring forward. We are not one player away from the Cup.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
At this point I see no reason not to trade up and get center. It is such an easier route than trying to trade for an established top-6 center.

On the asset side, Wild have 2 1sts, capacity to trade 1 top-4 Dmen, and for the first time in a very long time, is quite stacked at young wingers, whether NHLers or prospects.

On the need side, Wild have an elite, but now aging blueline and an influx of talented wingers who need high-end centers to play with.

Ottawa is desperate for a windfall. For their second pick, we could offer them a boatload and draft Rossi.

Rossi-JEE-Khovanov-Sturm would be incredible down the middle.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Sens need the same thing we do, Centers. Makes it unlikey that they will pass on a potentially elite one such as Rossi, Byfield, or even Perfetti.

Oh, and Mercer is a very good skater. That's one of his strong points. Scouts just aren't sure of his offensive upside.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Never said we have to pick one of those guys. Earlier you said that you dont believe Sanderson could be BPA at 11, "no matter how the first 10 go." I disagree. Right now he looks like he will probably be among the best prospects available if we pick at 11 which suggests to me that the Wild front office is going to look into him as a possible selection. They would be foolish not to. If he is the clear best player you have to take him. If there is a C that you value equally then by all means take the C. Especially when at least a handful of those guys listed above are likely going to be available with Pittsburgh's pick.

Imagine having Sanderson, Brodin, Dumba, Spurgeon, Addison as a defensive core for the future. That could be a genuinely dominant group. It's not like we wont get usage out of the pick if it is not a scoring forward. We are not one player away from the Cup.

Is this the clear evidence you thought you provided that Sanderson is undoubtedly the BPA at 11?

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Is this the clear evidence you thought you provided that Sanderson is undoubtedly the BPA at 11?

yep remember when you said there was no way Sanderson could be BPA at 11. Take a look at draft lists my friend. Could not be more wrong.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
yep remember when you said there was no way Sanderson could be BPA at 11. Take a look at draft lists my friend. Could not be more wrong.

That’s your proof? That Sanderson is clearly and undoubtedly BPA at 11? That’s what you’re going with?

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
That’s your proof? That Sanderson is clearly and undoubtedly BPA at 11? That’s what you’re going with?

You are struggling so let me break this down. You said that there is no way Sanderson could be BPA at 11, “no matter how the first 10 picks go”.

That makes no sense because he is solidly in that 10-15 range and is arguably the biggest riser right now. He is going to be among the highest rated players on board if he is not selected before us, probably THE highest rated. That would make him the BPA at our pick. You may have other guys ranked higher and that is fine, but the general consensus states he is going to be close to the best player available around 11 if he doesn’t go before that. Really really basic stuff here. As you said earlier, try to keep up.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
You are struggling so let me break this down. You said that there is no way Sanderson could be BPA at 11, “no matter how the first 10 picks go”.

That makes no sense because he is solidly in that 10-15 range and is arguably the biggest riser right now. He is going to be among the highest rated players on board if he is not selected before us, probably THE highest rated. That would make him the BPA at our pick. You may have other guys ranked higher and that is fine, but the general consensus states he is going to be close to the best player available around 11 if he doesn’t go before that. Really really basic stuff here. As you said earlier, try to keep up.

I could not have been more clear that it was my opinion I was presenting and not a fact. What are you confused about?

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Sens need the same thing we do, Centers. Makes it unlikey that they will pass on a potentially elite one such as Rossi, Byfield, or even Perfetti.

Oh, and Mercer is a very good skater. That's one of his strong points. Scouts just aren't sure of his offensive upside.
They would draft a center. The question is if they would be willing to trade their later pick from Sharks for Dumba+lower 1st or something similar.

Reactions: 57special
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad