Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft Thread Vol. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
Another Wheeler article out today. This time it is Dylan Holloway who looks like a perfect player for AV s dump and chase attack. Strong forechecker, cycle player. Reminds me of Oscar Lindblom with speed. Probably gone before the Flyers get a shot at him. This looks like a really strong draft.

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
Interesting set of articles in the Athletic regarding the league pushing for a June Draft to please the networks, gain visibility (the only game in town concept of the only sports live event) keep the fans thinking about them. The GMs hate the idea. Playoffs would come later. Lots of ideas on draft lottery, trades etc. the main idea being trotted out is only one winner, and the most places a team can move is 4. Lots of interesting comments as well.

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
@Appleyard Who's the better hockey player?

Jan Mysak

or

Martin Chromiak

I've only got in a miniscule amount of viewings from each player. Their statistical profiles since they both made the jump to NA and the OHL are strikingly similar.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
@Appleyard Who's the better hockey player?

Jan Mysak

or

Martin Chromiak

I've only got in a miniscule amount of viewings from each player. Their statistical profiles since they both made the jump to NA and the OHL are strikingly similar.

Mysak.

I like both and have followed both for a couple of years. But Mysak is more creative and has a better physical package.

Chromiak is very good though and he might fall into the 2nd.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I really don't think an early June draft will drum up as much interest as the NHL seems to think. Most hockey fans don't even know any of the guys beyond the first couple. Only a handful play in the league the following season. And a lot of the intrigue with the event is the buzz and movement of established players prior to the draft and free agency which won't happen if the season isn't completed or cancelled.

I have put together 400 names in a spreadsheet just in case it happens on the 5th. Time to pair it down.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
This is the year we get to learn about all of the 1st round prospects AFTER the Draft. I couldn't name more than 10 prospects at this point.

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
Joni Jurmo is a piece of clay waiting to be properly molded into a dominant defenseman.

Physical tools are impressive:
- Ooof Size!
- Smooth, agile, fast, & powerful skater
- great passer, solid pass reception ability
- has a bit of 4th forward syndrome in him (not a bad thing BTW)

Needs to tighten things up defensively:
- quicker reads
- more attention paid to stick & body positioning
- recognizing assignment switches faster
- tighter gaps

Nothing that can’t be fixed though with practice. Knowing when “to go” and when to make the simple play is another area in need of patching up. He’s keenly aware of what he needs to improve upon as well:

Interview: 2020 NHL Draft Prospect Joni Jurmo

He’d be on my list in the 2nd RD if I were the Flyers

A fun video breaking down his game from Will Scouch:

Last edited:
Reactions: Ironmanrulez

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
The Finnish Junior league is probably the most underrated amateur league going right now. Carolina has been cleaning up there.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I really don't think an early June draft will drum up as much interest as the NHL seems to think. Most hockey fans don't even know any of the guys beyond the first couple. Only a handful play in the league the following season. And a lot of the intrigue with the event is the buzz and movement of established players prior to the draft and free agency which won't happen if the season isn't completed or cancelled.

I have put together 400 names in a spreadsheet just in case it happens on the 5th. Time to pair it down.
It's obvious what they're doing, it's a 2-player draft at the top, and they're trying to make sure Detroit gets one while no one is looking, preferably the 1st pick

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
Joni Jurmo is a piece of clay waiting to be properly molded into a dominant defenseman.

Physical tools are impressive:
- Ooof Size!
- Smooth, agile, fast, & powerful skater
- great passer, solid pass reception ability
- has a bit of 4th forward syndrome in him (not a bad thing BTW)

Needs to tighten things up defensively:
- quicker reads
- more attention paid to stick & body positioning
- recognizing assignment switches faster
- tighter gaps

Nothing that can’t be fixed though with practice. Knowing when “to go” and when to make the simple play is another area in need of patching up. He’s keenly aware of what he needs to improve upon as well:

Interview: 2020 NHL Draft Prospect Joni Jurmo

He’d be on my list in the 2nd RD if I were the Flyers

A fun video breaking down his game from Will Scouch:

It is funny how he sounds a little like Sanheim in his draft year, without the late rapid rise in rating. Good size, great skating, good skills, average but improving shot, not real physical, probably stronger than Sanheim though. The difference seems to be Sanheim has excellent offensive IQ, Jurmo is not at that level. He is poised though and has improved his d zone. All signs are pointing towards a top 4 role, but he is a work in progress who has lots of good tools. @Appleyard probably has a better handle on Jurmo, but he should be a fine second round pick if you want a defenseman.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I was hopeful that Fletcher could have swung a deal for a couple additional picks in a pre-draft trade *cough*Hagg*cough* but alas that seems unlikely. I guess there could be a handshake agreement but that doesn't seem plausible.

Not having a 3rd rounder and giving up the better of the 4th round picks is going to leave quite the hole in the middle of the draft.

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
I was hopeful that Fletcher could have swung a deal for a couple additional picks in a pre-draft trade *cough*Hagg*cough* but alas that seems unlikely. I guess there could be a handshake agreement but that doesn't seem plausible.

Not having a 3rd rounder and giving up the better of the 4th round picks is going to leave quite the hole in the middle of the draft.
I feel like with all our picks over the last bunch of years should help us weather this year much easier. If it becomes an every year thing that’s where the problem will start

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Draft before playoffs is dumb, but whatever.

Agreed. I don't even think they should have a draft this year. If the season is cancelled because of this pandemic, and I'm probably in the minority thinking this, every player who was eligible for the draft this year should be declared an undrafted free agent and it should be a free for all within the confines of the CBA. No team should be rewarded for a dead season. That's what they should have done with Crosby's draft year as well.......

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
How the f*** can they have a draft before the standings are locked in place?

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
It's obvious what they're doing, it's a 2-player draft at the top, and they're trying to make sure Detroit gets one while no one is looking, preferably the 1st pick
Lafreniere and Byfield are good but they are a lot closer to 3, 4, 5 than people may want to believe. Rossi had an equally good, if not better, season than those two. Stutzle had the best 17 year old season ever in the DEL. Raymond got overshadowed this year but he was as accomplished as anyone prior to this season.

Anyone picking in the top 5 will get a player.

I feel like with all our picks over the last bunch of years should help us weather this year much easier. If it becomes an every year thing that’s where the problem will start
It's certainly not a death sentence, just more of a reminder that pick volume trumps individual player selection over the long haul. The NHL draft is great because unlike basketball or football, you don't need to consider roster spots when you make selections. You just play the lottery and when you are dealing with projecting teenagers, you want as many numbers as possible.

And I like the potential of the board in that range of the draft. I imagine it will be painful watching the names coming off the board as the team goes ~60 picks without a selection.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
It feels like they’re foolishly looking way too much into the NFL’s success with the virtual draft & trying to project some of that onto themselves.

It’s not particularly easy to follow the NHL draft even as a hardcore hockey fan. As it’s not like football & basketball where you can see these guys on national tv every week in the States.

The time line you’re now having it at without the season completely you’re taking player trades off the table which is one of the big appeals to this event.

Reactions: Asnito

Asnito

Blood Rival to a Briere Simp
Mar 2, 2017
It feels like they’re foolishly looking way too much into the NFL’s success with the virtual draft & trying to project some of that onto themselves.

It’s not particularly easy to follow the NHL draft even as a hardcore hockey fan. As it’s not like football & basketball where you can see these guys on national tv every week in the States.

The time line you’re now having it at without the season completely you’re taking player trades off the table which is one of the big appeals to this event.
It really screws teams that have some assets that can't or won't be signed or to open up slots for upcoming kids.

Reactions: LegionOfDoom91

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Where you really get screwed is when you have a guy like Hagg that could probably fetch a 2nd in the offseason of a normal year. Time value of draft picks suggests a 2nd in 2020 is ~= a 1st in 2021. Except no one is giving up a one for Hagg so you either sign him to an extension and hope he maintains his value going into his walk year (meaning he is still a regular) or you trade him for a 2021 two whenever this season is finished and you theoretically miss out on a developmental year of whoever you could have taken in the second round of 2020. tl;dr it blows.

Ghost for a 2021 sounds about right though. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Asnito
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad