4feaf17587b2d0e235f35dd492d1beec.jpg
Bowties are a helluva drug.

Reactions: odin1981 and Bench

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
i just want to draft stutzle at 3 cant we just trade up 1 spot and make that happen what would the cost of something like that be? our 4th plus cholo or raz? i just think it would be awesome to have seider and stutzle both on the wings

I really don't understand this German kick.
If you want to group Seider and Stutzle because they're good players, great.
Why not include Zadina or Rasmussen or Veleno in that mix?
If you want to group them because they're German, it's about the worst way to approach this draft.

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
I really don't understand this German kick.
If you want to group Seider and Stutzle because they're good players, great.
Why not include Zadina or Rasmussen or Veleno in that mix?
If you want to group them because they're German, it's about the worst way to approach this draft.

Newsflash, Stutzle is considered the 3rd highest rated prospect in the draft. Also, you don't seem to understand how great it will be for Seider to have a buddy from the same team, from the same country and speaks the same language as him far away from his homeland. It might not seem like it but Germany is quite different then the US and there is definitely some culture shock. What better way to share that together with a buddy who likes the same sport as you do.

It is not that we want Stutzle to be a Red Wing just because you can group Germans together, but it is a MASSIVE bonus. That advantage makes me want Stutzle more than Perfetti, even though I don't think they are far away from each other as prospects.

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
Newsflash, Stutzle is considered the 3rd highest rated prospect in the draft. Also, you don't seem to understand how great it will be for Seider to have a buddy from the same team, from the same country and speaks the same language as him far away from his homeland. It might not seem like it but Germany is quite different then the US and there is definitely some culture shock. What better way to share that together with a buddy who likes the same sport as you do.

It is not that we want Stutzle to be a Red Wing just because you can group Germans together, but it is a MASSIVE bonus. That advantage makes me want Stutzle more than Perfetti, even though I don't think they are far away from each other as prospects.
A top draft prospect that is already friends with my top prospect, speaks the same language, played together, those are certainly elements I consider when differentiating between players in the same tier. Maybe they are the last things I consider. But they get consideration.

wether it be coincidence or not, Yzerman has shown hints that he values his players having friendships in the past. Fabbri was good friends with Burt. Perlini was good friends with larkin. I lean towards that not being just happenstance.

Reactions: Killerjas

simonedvinsson

May 26, 2020
If German were the only meaningful qualifier, people would be calling for Reichel at fourth, assuming Stützle was off the board at four.

Reactions: ArmChairGM89

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
A top draft prospect that is already friends with my top prospect, speaks the same language, played together, those are certainly elements I consider when differentiating between players in the same tier. Maybe they are the last things I consider. But they get consideration.

wether it be coincidence or not, Yzerman has shown hints that he values his players having friendships in the past. Fabbri was good friends with Burt. Perlini was good friends with larkin. I lean towards that not being just happenstance.

You know what else Perlini and Fabbri had things in common with? The trash cans people leave at the end of their driveways once a week. Whatever they were, the team who owned the rights did not think highly enough of them as players to hold on to. They were readily available at a low cost of acquisition.

That is not just happenstance, but playing hockey with Larkin or Bertuzzi damn well could be just a happy coincidence.

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
You know what else Perlini and Fabbri had things in common with? The trash cans people leave at the end of their driveways once a week. Whatever they were, the team who owned the rights did not think highly enough of them as players to hold on to. They were readily available at a low cost of acquisition.

That is not just happenstance, but playing hockey with Larkin or Bertuzzi damn well could be just a happy coincidence.
Wether they sucked or not doesn’t change the fact that they were the only two skaters bought via trade and both had close personal ties with current roster players.

I also doubt they were the only two players readily available at a low cost of acquisition. Are we just trading for every readily available player at low cost? I don’t think we have enough roster spots. Couldn’t possibly be actual reasons we chose them, You’re right.

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
I don't mind NYR drafting 1st overall, the other 3 however is frustrating.
I think watching Edmonton get it would be nice/comical. They are the only team out of those that have lost spots in the current lottery (-4) and it would probably annoy even the casual fan. Plus I wouldn’t mind seeing Holland do well and this would help him with a nice cost effective ELC.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008

Seider can speak German with Rossi also

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
I think they need to bump the play-in loser to 4th. That would be fair, and the league might actually be okay with it. Protect the top-3 picks (or top-5, it's arbitrary at this point) and make 85% happy.

Putting Detroit at 3rd, obviously, for that sweet Stutzle action.

Edit: I know I'm not the first person to have this thought, but the first drinking session after a bout with pneumonia tends to get the juices flowing.

Last edited:
Reactions: mantha39

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
There is no way we're getting stutzle outside of top 3 and Drysdale in top 3 is waste of pick. Kings and Ottawa managment would get eaten alive by fans for not picking Byfield/Stutzle. We got So f***ed, there is big gap after top 3, hate to say it.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
There is no way we're getting stutzle outside of top 3 and Drysdale in top 3 is waste of pick. Kings and Ottawa managment would get eaten alive by fans for not picking Byfield/Stutzle. We got So f***ed, there is big gap after top 3, hate to say it.

That's what it's looking like, for sure.

In your opinion, who's the BPA? I'm still on the Perfetti train, but I'm sure I'm wrong.

Reactions: Cyborg Yzerberg

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018

It's not the same because the pick was #6 but Yzerman didn't care when he drafted Seider. He went off the board and reached for the guy he thought was best. MTL did it with Kotkaniemi over Zadina who was "for sure a top 5 pick".

We have precedent contrary to your statement and while I understand the sentiment it's simply not true, albeit a likely outcome.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
It's not the same because the pick was #6 but Yzerman didn't care when he drafted Seider. He went off the board and reached for the guy he thought was best. MTL did it with Kotkaniemi over Zadina who was "for sure a top 5 pick".

We have precedent contrary to your statement and while I understand the sentiment it's simply not true, albeit a likely outcome.

The Wings jumped the gun (all signs point to justifiably so) in taking a big RHD, which is always a top commodity. The Blackhawks also jumped on Dach, who many had down the board, but he has the potential to be a very good top line center. The Canadiens jumped the gun at #3 to pick who they saw as the best player in the draft, in this case a center, and Arizona did the same in that draft.

Usually when you see the reaches, it comes with a premier position in mind. I think that's why people find it difficult to envision the instance where Stutzle or Byfield fall, because they both fit the bill of the type of player that teams would jump the gun to select. I think you have to hope that a team is just in love with Drysdale or Sanderson.

Edit: or, yes, even in love with Askarov.

Last edited:

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
The Wings jumped the gun (all signs point to justifiably so) in taking a big RHD, which is always a top commodity. The Blackhawks also jumped on Dach, who many had down the board, but he has the potential to be a very good top line center. The Canadiens jumped the gun at #3 to pick who they saw as the best player in the draft, in this case a center, and Arizona did the same in that draft.

Usually when you see the reaches, it comes with a premier position in mind. I think that's why people find it difficult to envision the instance where Stutzle or Byfield fall, because they both fit the bill of the type of player that teams would jump the gun to select. I think you have to hope that a team is just in love with Drysdale or Sanderson.

That's my point.

We have seen teams select off the board. It can very well happen again. While I personally don't think Drysdale will go top 3 it is not an outlandish idea that he could. So saying that we have 0 chance at Byfield or Stutzle is inherently false based on previous drafts and the evidence that GMs will go off the board.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

I am hoping they love that kid they have seen dominate right there in Ottawa the last 2 years, and love his intangibles.

The only issue is, why wouldn't Ottawa just think they could get these guys at 5 instead of 3?

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
I am hoping they love that kid they have seen dominate right there in Ottawa the last 2 years, and love his intangibles.

The only issue is, why wouldn't Ottawa just think they could get these guys at 5 instead of 3?

Basically the only way this happens is if Ottawa thinks we would take their D of choice, and don't buy Stuzzle as a center. For example if they think Stuzzle is a winger, they may say well we'd rather have Raymond and Drysdale than Stuzzle and Sanderson. If they don't buy the recent Sanderson hype train, or they really want the RHD, I could see them doing something like that if they think Detroit would take their preferred Dman.

What is Ottawa and LA's young center situation. I didn't seen anyone jump out for Ott and the Kings seem to maybe have Villardi. I don't think either team is strong enough at center to pass on the potential center prospect.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

I guess it comes down to the discussion of whether a team would risk losing their top guy through being selfish. If I’m Ottawa and I love Marco Rossi more than anyone at 3, do I pass on him, to take Stutzle because I think Yzerman does in fact have a bias in favor of Germans?

What is a better situation, for Ottawa...

The assumed #3 with a small chance of #4, but likely #5.
Or
Taking the gamble on #4 with a higher chance at #3, but the potential of #5 is very real.

That’s something I can’t even pretend to have an idea regarding the thought process of GMs. And we aren’t talking about the world’s best run franchise right now. It’s easy when you talk about the Wings trading back to like #9 or 10 and acknowledging the gap in prospect value looking at a 5 or 6 pick drop.

Shultzyfeelinirie25

Jun 29, 2018
i guess like others i just really like stutzle and i guess the possibility is greater to land him then laf and byfield so why not i mean him being German and young like Seider is just a bonus not counting on that he just is a really good player. i mean that would be so sick if drysdale went 3 and we got to grab him. like if SY could package something and move up to 3 i totally would. i would gladly give up the 4th plus a decent return

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad