2020 NHL Draft Thread: only 365 more days until next years hockey tryouts

Status
Not open for further replies.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I like Jarvis a lot even if he’s not a C. If we leave the draft with Perfetti or Jarvis I’m pumped. The C position needs to be addressed Much sooner than any of these players are going to play, anyways. Mercer Is a good pick too. Not a huge fan of Zary these days.

Can I ask why? I’m not as familiar with him as some of the other guys, but he seems like a natural center with real top 6 potential.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Can I ask why? I’m not as familiar with him as some of the other guys, but he seems like a natural center with real top 6 potential.
It’s a combination of things for me. For one, he’s really old for this draft. and while that’s fine, it’s be nice to see him really taking off in a weak WHL this year. He also has been playing on a top line with 2 of the better players in the league Franklin and Centazzo. That’s probably the best line in the WHL this year and they play a ton. I’d like his stats to be better when you factor all those things in. I think he has a really, really nice hands, but after that everything is just pretty average for me. Skating isn’t great. His playmaking is ~fine from what I’ve seen. Shot is eh. I like taking players that have a star quality. The hope being that they develop other parts of their game as well. I just don’t see anything in Zary’s game that says he’s more than a middle-six C. I think he’s about at the level of prospect as kunin was.

Reactions: AKL

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
It’s a combination of things for me. For one, he’s really old for this draft. and while that’s fine, it’s be nice to see him really taking off in a weak WHL this year. He also has been playing on a top line with 2 of the better players in the league Franklin and Centazzo. That’s probably the best line in the WHL this year and they play a ton. I’d like his stats to be better when you factor all those things in. I think he has a really, really nice hands, but after that everything is just pretty average for me. Skating isn’t great. His playmaking is ~fine from what I’ve seen. Shot is eh. I like taking players that have a star quality. The hope being that they develop other parts of their game as well. I just don’t see anything in Zary’s game that says he’s more than a middle-six C. I think he’s about at the level of prospect as kunin was.

Fair enough, like I said I’m not super familiar with him so I’ll defer to you

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
If anyone is quarantined and wants to develop an emotional attachment to players that we will pass on for LWs, there’s a free 7 day trial of a shift-by-shift site.

Reactions: AJ Thelen

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Yegor Sokolov is a double overager, I think. He's a beast...really big and strong, but you have to take his age into account. Nice hands, but a clunky skater. He'd be someone I'd look at it in the mid rounds. Clear BPA at #25 might be a Dman, but if it's even close I want a C.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i like holloway's speed but his #'s are questionable to pick 11th, what do you think? i really want 2 C's but rw jack quinn has nice #'s 52G. if lundell fell to 11th would you pick him?

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
i like holloway's speed but his #'s are questionable to pick 11th, what do you think? i really want 2 C's but rw jack quinn has nice #'s 52G. if lundell fell to 11th would you pick him?

Without hesitation

Reactions: AJ Thelen

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
You take Lundell and run.

Yes, having a true franchise 1st line center is best, but you can win a Stanley Cup with 3x 2A centers if blueline and goaltending is there

Koivu's problem was that he never had any help.

Lundell, JEE, and Khovanov would be heck of a center core for other teams to matchup aganist.

Reactions: 57special

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
You take Lundell and run.

Yes, having a true franchise 1st line center is best, but you can win a Stanley Cup with 3x 2A centers if blueline and goaltending is there

Koivu's problem was that he never had any help.

Lundell, JEE, and Khovanov would be heck of a center core for other teams to matchup aganist.

Just to be clear, Lundell has 70-80 point Selke upside. It's a little disingenuous to call him a 2C.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Perreault C/RW might be around at PIT pick. Great skater, decent size, excellent shot. If we take Mercer or Zary with out 1st pick (aasuming that we don't luck out and get a Lundell or one of the other vg top 9's)then I could see him being picked. If Schneider, Askarov, Lapierre( top 10 talent, but concussion problems)and Perreault are available, who do you pick?

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Perreault C/RW might be around at PIT pick. Great skater, decent size, excellent shot. If we take Mercer or Zary with out 1st pick (aasuming that we don't luck out and get a Lundell or one of the other vg top 9's)then I could see him being picked. If Schneider, Askarov, Lapierre( top 10 talent, but concussion problems)and Perreault are available, who do you pick?

If the choice is between those 4 I’d take Askarov. Perrault has taken an average of 2 faceoffs per game. Wouldn’t consider him a center. Lapierre is on my do not touch list. I wouldn’t take much issue with Schneider, but I doubt he’ll be the BPA he would need to be to justify taking another RD.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
well my ideal draft assuming we pick 11 & 24 is lundell drops to 11 and holloway or askarov drops to 24. i thought i read holloway has good speed so he could be a faster version of kunin. just my one cent assuming nobody better falls.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Holloway hasn't stuck out at all for me when I've seen him, and he plays LW, doesn't he? I would aim higher than a LH version of Kunin at #11, maybe even at #24, especially in a draft that is supposed to be forward heavy. I am hoping that we get a crack at a decent C prospect, or a impact forward like one of the Swedes, due to some teams before us taking a Dman like Sanderson, Barron, or the like, just like in last year's draft. No one thought that Seider and Broberg would be picked before players like Zegras, Podkolzin, and Boldy.

I thought that Kunin looked better than Holloway when he was at WI. He almost doubled Holloway's points totals in their respective 1st years.

oops. Just realized that you said Lundell at 11, and Holloway at 24. NVM.

Last edited:
Reactions: keppel146

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i figure lafreniere ; byfield ; stutzle ; perfetti; raymond are probably a lock first 5 so only 5 more picks for lundell to drop. holloway's numbers aren't that good thats why he may drop.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I don't think Perfetti is a top 5 tbh.

I agree, don’t think Raymond is a lock for the top 5 either. On the other hand I’d be pretty surprised if Drysdale didn’t go too 5.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Rossi will be in the top 5. Maybe Drysdale, too. He is the equivalent to Byram, and unlike last year, there isn't a lot of top tier D talent. Anyone needing top duo D help will be all over him. He might be the surest thing besides Laffy in this draft. Hughes success in VAN will influence a lot of GM's, I think. Smallish, great skating, offensive Dman who is excelling despite his size- Drysdale is better defensively, also.

Last edited:

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Rossi will be in the top 5. Maybe Drysdale, too. He is the equivalent to Byram, and unlike last year, there isn't a lot of top tier talent. Anyone needing top duo D help will be all over him. He might be the surest thing besides Laffy in this draft. Hughes success in VAN will influence a lot of GM's, I think. Smallish, great skating, offensive Dman who is excelling despite his size- Drysdale is better defensively, also.

Uhh

Kase

May 1, 2016
Isn't the upcoming draft supposed to be the deepest since '03?

Depends who you ask, but that's definitely not something everyone has agreed on. I've seen very varying opinions from media guys and 'professionals', some think it's very deep draft like you said, and others think that the draft ends at 10 and has a poor depth. That's scouting for you.

My personal opinion so far, very good top 12ish, big drop in quality after that, and the picks 13-27ish are noticeably worse than last year. For example, I have Schneider currently at 13, whereas in last years draft I would have had him around 20-23 with some similar dmen, and a player that I had at 19 last year would be top 12 this year.

On the other hand the quality through second round seems pretty good, so with great scouting there are going to be some gems to be found there.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
Isn't the upcoming draft supposed to be the deepest since '03?
I don’t think it’s on that level but top 9 or so are the same tier of prospects as the top 9 in 2015. Obviously, Laf/Byfield isn’t the same tier as McDavid/Eichel, though, so I don’t think this draft reached 2015 either.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I meant to say top tier D talent, above. This year looks to be pretty strong forward wise, though i have no idea about how good guys like Mysak, Amirov, Gunler, and Peterka are. If they are as good as some say, they we might have one hell of a draft, forward wise. If Mercer, Quinn, and Zary can be top6 guys, as well as some of the Euros, then...yeah, pretty good.

Dmen like Guhle and Schneider aren't as sexy as the little guys who score PPG in the CHL, but I suspect that their game will be better suited to the NHL. You can only have so many Dmen who can't play D on your team.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I meant to say top tier D talent, above. This year looks to be pretty strong forward wise, though i have no idea about how good guys like Mysak, Amirov, Gunler, and Peterka are. If they are as good as some say, they we might have one hell of a draft, forward wise. If Mercer, Quinn, and Zary can be top6 guys, as well as some of the Euros, then...yeah, pretty good.

Dmen like Guhle and Schneider aren't as sexy as the little guys who score PPG in the CHL, but I suspect that their game will be better suited to the NHL. You can only have so many Dmen who can't play D on your team.

Small stature + can put up points =/= can't play D

Let's stop insinuating things like Guhle being a better defenseman than Drysdale just because Guhle can't score

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad