2020 NHL Draft Thread: only 365 more days until next years hockey tryouts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
I read Pronman's article this morning on Midseason Draft rankings.

Interesting thing I found reading the first 15 picks is how many 'good, but not great' skaters or 'skating is fine but not elite' guys there are.

Even Laf wasn't given praise for amazing skating, which I don't know if that's true or untrue. I'm just saying lol.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I read Pronman's article this morning on Midseason Draft rankings.

Interesting thing I found reading the first 15 picks is how many 'good, but not great' skaters or 'skating is fine but not elite' guys there are.

Even Laf wasn't given praise for amazing skating, which I don't know if that's true or untrue. I'm just saying lol.

He did go out of his way to compliment Drysdale's skating. Called his edge work "elite" and will have no issues with NHL speed.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
He did go out of his way to compliment Drysdale's skating. Called his edge work "elite" and will have no issues with NHL speed.
Yes and one of the very few, and it's also expected. A top 10 pick that's a D will always have elite skating. They better.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
So effectively, yes, if you’re picking a D top 10 he should be a good skater. Otherwise he’ll turn into a bust.

Seems so! These guys are hardly ancient history though the Schenn draft (2008) was a bit of a watershed where the value of guys like EK, John Carlson, even Voynov was so much greater than "classic" model guys like Schenn and Teubert and even to an extent Bogosian.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
"haha"... you said they "always will" which was clearly not so... always "should" is something I agree with. Just words? We use them to make sense of one another.
What?

Are you taking something very seriously right now? I'm not sure about the tone of this post. I even put an emoji to show I was joking with you. You made a good point to my original post.

?

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Dylan McIlrath, Griffin Reinhart, Erik Gudbranson and Luke Schenn say hi.

Wasn't the NHL still playing heavy clutch-and-grab, interference was okay, heavier trap, type game when these guys were drafted? Things have seemed to really open up the last few years. Not trying to justify the picks, just curious.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Here’s TSNs mid-term rankings with video: Alexis Lafreniere enhances No. 1 status in TSN's mid-season NHL draft ranking - TSN.ca
Interesting things I found just by looking through:
  • Some scouts think there are a few players in the draft that have the potential to jump up like Pettersson did in his d+1
  • One scout didn’t have Byfield in his top 5
  • A few Scouts think this is a draft similar to 2017 in that when we look back on it and a couple players who went after 1&2 are actually better than 1&2
If the draft plays out like this, count me as more than happy to have a late 1st.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
Pronman: Ranking the 2020 NHL Draft top prospects at midseason
Pronman: Ranking the 2020 NHL Draft top prospects at...
I’ll summarize some things for the non-athletic users
One man’s opinion(Pronman’s):
  • 9 players project as 1st line of better
  • Rossi, Stutzle in his Elite/High-end bubble tier meaning top 10-15% at their position
  • Says Stutzle is a center and whoever drafts him will likely view him that way
  • Zary and Mercer are 10 & 11 on his list. Both listed as Cs. Their in the category of high-end/very good bubble. For context, Boldy was in his very-good tier in his Mid-season rankings and Kaprizov was in his high-end tier. High-end means 1st liner, very good means top-6 guy. So both those guys are bubble 1Cs in the NHL in his eyes.
  • Seth Jarvis (C) is ranked 13th
  • Lundell is 16th. He think’s he’s a 2nd line C in NHL at ceiling, but scouts are split on if he projects as a 2C or 3C.
  • Guhle, Gunler, Mysak all NR
  • 22 players total project as top-6 or better
This draft is going to be insanely intriguing to watch unfold down the stretch. I almost wonder if it’s going to be a draft where a consensus top 2 pick all year falls a bit on draft day, similar to Jones in 2013.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Pronman: Ranking the 2020 NHL Draft top prospects at midseason
Pronman: Ranking the 2020 NHL Draft top prospects at...
I’ll summarize some things for the non-athletic users
One man’s opinion(Pronman’s):
  • 9 players project as 1st line of better
  • Rossi, Stutzle in his Elite/High-end bubble tier meaning top 10-15% at their position
  • Says Stutzle is a center and whoever drafts him will likely view him that way
  • Zary and Mercer are 10 & 11 on his list. Both listed as Cs. Their in the category of high-end/very good bubble. For context, Boldy was in his very-good tier in his Mid-season rankings and Kaprizov was in his high-end tier. High-end means 1st liner, very good means top-6 guy. So both those guys are bubble 1Cs in the NHL in his eyes.
  • Seth Jarvis (C) is ranked 13th
  • Lundell is 16th. He think’s he’s a 2nd line C in NHL at ceiling, but scouts are split on if he projects as a 2C or 3C.
  • Guhle, Gunler, Mysak all NR
  • 22 players total project as top-6 or better
This draft is going to be insanely intriguing to watch unfold down the stretch. I almost wonder if it’s going to be a draft where a consensus top 2 pick all year falls a bit on draft day, similar to Jones in 2013.

I stopped reading at 9 players project as first line or better. Come on Pronman, these are middle six guys outside of Lafreniere.

Realistically I kept reading, but I spit out my coffee (again) when I saw 22 players project as top 6 or better. I still only count 1.

Guhle, Gunler, Mysak all NR

Lol

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
I stopped reading at 9 players project as first line or better. Come on Pronman, these are middle six guys outside of Lafreniere.

Realistically I kept reading, but I spit out my coffee (again) when I saw 22 players project as top 6 or better. I still only count 1.

Lol
Yeah I was quite astonished that he wasn’t telling teams to trade their picks if it isn’t top 3. What I really found interesting, though, was Lundell’s stuff. So many ranking sites have him out of the top 10. It’ll be fascinating to see where he goes. I wouldn’t blink if someone takes him top 5, but I could also see him being a big-time faller due to concerns with explosiveness.

Reactions: zellmatic and AKL

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I wouldn't enjoy taking Sanderson. Seems like another middle pairing guy with good skating but questionable upside.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
Doesn't really sound like a reach.
He jumped up a ton on everyone’s rankings after American Top-Prospects game. I think it was too big of a jump. Continued success throughout the year could change my mind, but he hasn’t blown anyone out of the water outside of that game.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Is Rossi the equivalent of what MiG was in his draft year? Offensive wunderkind, great skills and imagination, not so hot skating and size?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Shoot the puck, yes, but most scouting reports say he is skating is just ok, and he is two inches smaller than MiG.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad