Pre-Game Talk: 2020 NHL Draft (October 6th - 7th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
At least the dream of a top pick is alive.

hopefully this draft is as strong as it’s been hyped to be.

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
Lafreniere
Byfield
Raymond
Stutzle
Lundell
Perfetti
Holtz
Rossi
Drysdale
Askarov/Holloway

Outside the top 10ish this draft seems pretty meh. Need a top 10 pick. Ideally in the top 7.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Why do people keep dreaming about picking 1st or 2nd.? It’s not happening. Stop getting your hopes.

byfield will not be a Canuck

Lafreniere will not be a Canuck.

You never know with lottery's. Teams like Carolina, New Jersey, and Philadelphia can attest to that.

Especially in the case of Carolina a few years back, they narrowly missed the playoffs but then landed 2nd overall via the lottery.......and drafted Svechnikov.

My advice for the Canucks is as follows (and it's something that they are already doing). Compete as hard as you can, develop the correct on-ice and off-ice habits, and let the chips fall where they may. Tanking is a losers mindset and does more harm than foul. Always get the boys to compete, and always dangle that 'carrot' (i.e. pushing for a playoff spot, and management supporting the players in the best way possible to make the playoffs if the situation warrants it).

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Lafreniere
Byfield
Raymond
Stutzle
Lundell
Perfetti
Holtz
Rossi
Drysdale
Askarov/Holloway

Outside the top 10ish this draft seems pretty meh. Need a top 10 pick. Ideally in the top 7.

It won't happen, but I honestly wonder if the following package would entice a team (assuming that said team had enough cap space, saw the value in having organisational depth, and saw themselves as being able to make the playoffs the following season despite having a set-back in this current season).

Demko + Gaudette + Stecher + Virtanen + Tryamkin.

Basically - the Canucks trade all of their RFA's to said team for a top 10, maybe even top 7, pick.

The acquiring team gets pretty good cost controlled depth, while the Canucks clear significant cap space and potentially get a huge asset.

Meh. I know a deal like this would likely be unfeasible, but it would definitely turn some heads if it went through.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Holtz or Raymond would be ideal, Raymond is hurt and missing the WJC he might slide a little.
Noel Gunler is also impressing
Hendrix Lapierre has shown some impressive ability and might fall due to injuries this year
William Wallinder is probably going to climb pretty high if he can show some production in his Allsvenskan looks

Outside of those guys I also really like Rossi and Perfetti, Perfetti might be another Hodgson though he seems to have stumpy legs

Nuckler

May 7, 2013
If we were sitting at like 11-12 and Drysdale slid to 9 I'd make a solid offer to move up, maybe even demko to get there. Him and Hughes would be a killer top pair. Doubt he slides that far tho, someone is going to want a dman before 9

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
Excited to watch Raymond at the WJC with hoglander.

Just imagining Raymond with Pettersson and Boeser has me salivating.

But top 5 pick is unlikely.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Yep....I'm coming around to the idea that the Canucks need another top-10 pick a lot more than a few playoff dates, where they'd be 'one and done' anyway.

Not too early to wonder about the fall of the lottery balls.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
I barely get excited anymore about the draft, and it's one of my favorite times in hockey. Other than getting some luck with Pettersson and Hughes, the Canucks keep getting screwed with their lottery selection. If we are going to watch another season of this absolute garbage hockey from our Canucks, it would be nice to finally get rewarded for it with a top 2 pick. At this point I feel like the Canucks will "Never" get the 1st overall selection that is needed so badly.

swedehollow

Aug 15, 2018
Raymond has been sick, but was cleared to play today and is now with the WJC team.
The thing with Raymond is that he is sick when he is healthy!

I generally like players who haven't got the benefits of being developed physically in his early career. Peter Forsberg and Elias Pettersson were always smallish during their junior years and have had to develop other tools to be successful. Raymond, in my view, have had a similar development as they had. He is sooo smooth, have a wicked and accurate shot, super high hockey-IQ, super soft hands and is not afraid to get into the dirty areas. I would pick him over anybody in this draft and I think he will be considered to a similar steal as Pettersson was looking a year or two post draft.

His teammates calls him "the little Devil" because of his tenaciousness. He works as hard with the puck as he does off the puck. Does this sound familiar? Him with EP - oh boy!

Last edited:

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
You never know with lottery's. Teams like Carolina, New Jersey, and Philadelphia can attest to that.

Especially in the case of Carolina a few years back, they narrowly missed the playoffs but then landed 2nd overall via the lottery.......and drafted Svechnikov.

My advice for the Canucks is as follows (and it's something that they are already doing). Compete as hard as you can, develop the correct on-ice and off-ice habits, and let the chips fall where they may. Tanking is a losers mindset and does more harm than foul. Always get the boys to compete, and always dangle that 'carrot' (i.e. pushing for a playoff spot, and management supporting the players in the best way possible to make the playoffs if the situation warrants it).

If the Canucks are in 9th at the trade deadline, would you be buying? No one is telling the players to lose games, but what management can do is not make band-aid trades that mortgage our future. I think letting the chips fall where they may includes recognizing that a team isn't good enough and refraining from trading picks/prospects to get rentals to make playoff pushes. I'd like to see an organizational plan that includes a path back to the finals, not just the first round. We'll just get back into the same situation as the late 00's, where we constantly ran into the same team in the second round and got bounced, meanwhile leaving one of the barest cupboards of prospects in recent memory.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
If the Canucks are in 9th at the trade deadline, would you be buying? No one is telling the players to lose games, but what management can do is not make band-aid trades that mortgage our future. I think letting the chips fall where they may includes recognizing that a team isn't good enough and refraining from trading picks/prospects to get rentals to make playoff pushes. I'd like to see an organizational plan that includes a path back to the finals, not just the first round. We'll just get back into the same situation as the late 00's, where we constantly ran into the same team in the second round and got bounced, meanwhile leaving one of the barest cupboards of prospects in recent memory.

If the Canucks are in 9th, I would not be buying. In most cases, the Canucks should not be looking to buy at the trade deadline right now, especially if they are in 9th.

They should be looking to trade Leivo (and possibly Stecher if the Canucks are 100% certain that they’ll re-sign Tanev in the off-season) if the Canucks are 5 or more points out of the wildcard.

Last edited:

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Watching Lafreniere in the WJC and man this kids gonna be a stud. Wish for the first time in 50 years some luck goes the Canucks way in the lottery.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
You never know.

Maybe Benning (or whoever the GM is) trades someone for a first rounder at that time.

:laugh:

When has Benning shown any interest in trading for a pick? It's been almost 6 years since he acquired a 1st round pick. A ridiculous statement considering how awful this team has been.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
:laugh:

When has Benning shown any interest in trading for a pick? It's been almost 6 years since he acquired a 1st round pick. A ridiculous statement considering how awful this team has been.

A fair enough point on your part (ie Benning hasn’t acquired a 1st rounder since 2014), but he also expressed interest in recouping the first that he lost in the Miller trade.

Given our upcoming cap crunch, along with the expansion draft, I could see Benning making a play.

My best guess is that the Canucks will proceed forward with Markstrom, and will either move Demko for a first, or will combine Demko with one of your buddies ;) (Eriksson, Sutter, etc.) to clear cap space.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad