Pre-Game Talk: 2020 NHL Draft (October 6th - 7th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
A fair enough point on your part (ie Benning hasn’t acquired a 1st rounder since 2014), but he also expressed interest in recouping the first that he lost in the Miller trade.

Given our upcoming cap crunch, along with the expansion draft, I could see Benning making a play.

My best guess is that the Canucks will proceed forward with Markstrom, and will either move Demko for a first, or will combine Demko with one of your buddies ;) (Eriksson, Sutter, etc.) to clear cap space.

Here's a spoiler: he won't. That "expressed interest" was just because of the heat he was getting for bending over to Tampa and pissing away a first round pick even though he had all the leverage in the world.

Teams don't pay draft picks to help another team out of a cap crunch, well..unless it's Jim Benning on the other end. The Canucks will be forced to pay a draft pick to fix their cap crunch, and Benning, if he's still here, will be shocked by it because he's not a smart person.

What team is trading away a 1 for Demko? What has he done that makes him worth a 1?

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Here's a spoiler: he won't. That "expressed interest" was just because of the heat he was getting for bending over to Tampa and pissing away a first round pick even though he had all the leverage in the world.

Teams don't pay draft picks to help another team out of a cap crunch, well..unless it's Jim Benning on the other end. The Canucks will be forced to pay a draft pick to fix their cap crunch, and Benning, if he's still here, will be shocked by it because he's not a smart person.

What team is trading away a 1 for Demko? What has he done that makes him worth a 1?

Fair enough points.

I could see a team making a play for Demko at next year’s deadline if Demko increases his value (although perhaps this isn’t the case since said acquiring team would have to protect Demko? I’m not sure). My best guess would have been Ottawa. Do they have any legit goaltending prospects?

Feb 20, 2013
The lottery protection on the Miller Trade is a big deal, but I do sort of wish it was too 10 protection. Worst case scenario would be the Canucks narrowly missing the playoffs and drafting like 13th, then narrowly missing again next year and moving up in the lottery and TB getting Raty or L. Hughes. Barring this sort of very unlikely disaster, the Miller Trade looks pretty darn good, and a 11-15 pick would be fine value for what JT brings.

If we do end up dropping a bit in the standings, Rossi is the guy I want. Exceptionally skilled player. There would be so much more hype if he weren't small and Austrian. I see him as a top 5 player in the draft but I think he will drop to the 10-15 range, so the Canucks may have a chance at him.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Tim Stutzle has David Pastrnak written all over him.

Peterka also looks like an impressive NHL prospect.
Very Impressive player. His game reminds me of Taylor Hall but he skates more upright and looks bigger even though he's listed at 6ft tall. Gonna be a front line play driver.

UK Canuck

Dec 27, 2018
Jamie Drysdale is the player the Canucks really need tbh, our defensive prospect pool is pitiful atm, although if we're picking somewhere around 11th-15th, Jeremie Poirier is more likely to be in that range

Reactions: CanuckCity

lawrence

May 19, 2012
People are saying Tim Stutzle might be the pettersson of this draft as in he is not ranked In the top 3 and probably won’t be picked in the top 3 but can end up being the best player due to insane upside.

I will love to have him or drysdale. Having drysdale will give us 2 star dmans and we can deploy him and Hughes in different pairings so we can always have a dangerous offensive generating threat from behind.

stutzle, well he’s probably going to be one of the best players in a redraft so it be great to get him.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Xmas Potato Top-30

1. Marco Rossi
2. Alexis Lafrenière
3. Quinton Byfield
4. Anton Lundell
5. Cole Perfetti
6. Dawson Mercer
7. Jacob Perreault
8. Jamie Drysdale
9. Mavrik Bourque
10. Connor Zary
11. Tyson Foerster
12. Alexander Holtz
13. Jérémie Poirier
14. Sean Farrell
15. Jack Quinn
16. Ryan O'Rourke
17. Seth Jarvis
18. Vasili Ponomaryov
19. Jan Mysak
20. Noel Gunler
21. Helge Grans
22. Jaromir Pytlik
23. Pavel Novak
24. Ryan Francis
25. Brady Burns
26. Braden Schneider
27. Rory Kerins
28. Hayden Fowler
29. Veeti Miettinen
30. Sam Colangelo

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
Want Stutzle so badly

if we're drafting 9-14, I'd package that pick plus Horvat and some other small adds to move up to 3-5 range.

Pettersson, Boeser, Stutzle, Miller, Hughes, Podkolzin, Gaudette, Demko/Markstrom would make an unbelievable core of young players.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Want Stutzle so badly

if we're drafting 9-14, I'd package that pick plus Horvat and some other small adds to move up to 3-5 range.

Pettersson, Boeser, Stutzle, Miller, Hughes, Podkolzin, Gaudette, Demko/Markstrom would make an unbelievable core of young players.

By the time of the draft Markstrom will be 30 and Miller 27. That's not young by NHL standards.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Xmas Potato Top-30

1. Marco Rossi
2. Alexis Lafrenière
3. Quinton Byfield
4. Anton Lundell
5. Cole Perfetti
6. Dawson Mercer
7. Jacob Perreault
8. Jamie Drysdale
9. Mavrik Bourque
10. Connor Zary
11. Tyson Foerster
12. Alexander Holtz
13. Jérémie Poirier
14. Sean Farrell
15. Jack Quinn
16. Ryan O'Rourke
17. Seth Jarvis
18. Vasili Ponomaryov
19. Jan Mysak
20. Noel Gunler
21. Helge Grans
22. Jaromir Pytlik
23. Pavel Novak
24. Ryan Francis
25. Brady Burns
26. Braden Schneider
27. Rory Kerins
28. Hayden Fowler
29. Veeti Miettinen
30. Sam Colangelo
Does the potato not like Lucas Raymond in the first round or is that an error?

Reactions: CanuckCity

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
If we do end up dropping a bit in the standings, Rossi is the guy I want. Exceptionally skilled player. There would be so much more hype if he weren't small and Austrian. I see him as a top 5 player in the draft but I think he will drop to the 10-15 range, so the Canucks may have a chance at him.

Totally agree. I love Rossi. I think he is right below the Lafreniere/Byfield tier. He can play center, or could be the skilled winger Horvat is desperate for.

I remember reading a feature on him in the Athletic last season. This kid's dedication to getting better, working out, eating right, etc, is insane. Sounded like Petey.

Horvat1C

Oct 2, 2015
Lundell is still a very good player as well. He's missed some time and the WJC due to injury, but he was really making his mark in Liiga.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

I guess you don't get the concept that Lightning chose to trade Miller because he had the most value outside of Kucherov, Stamkos, and Point up front and Miller didn't have an NTC?

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I guess you don't get the concept that Lightning chose to trade Miller because he had the most value outside of Kucherov, Stamkos, and Point up front and Miller didn't have an NTC?

Lack of an NTC, yes. More value than guys like Johnson or Gourde? Not likely. Regardless, doesn’t change the fact that it was downright idiotic to overpay like Benning did.

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
Lafreniere has been insanely good in the World Juniors. Gonna see how he plays tomorrow versus a tight team in Russia.

Stutzle has been insane for Germany as well. I think he'll be a riser and go in the top 4-5 of this years draft.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Lafreniere has been insanely good in the World Juniors. Gonna see how he plays tomorrow versus a tight team in Russia.

Stutzle has been insane for Germany as well. I think he'll be a riser and go in the top 4-5 of this years draft.

Lafreniere has definitely cemented his place as the top pick. I think Byfield has hurt his stock. Stutzle is a riser, and I still have Drysdale in my top 3.

Buzz Gunderson

Jan 2, 2020
:laugh:
Lack of an NTC, yes. More value than guys like Johnson or Gourde? Not likely. Regardless, doesn’t change the fact that it was downright idiotic to overpay like Benning did.
LOL Miller has way more value than Gourde and Johnson regardless of NTC. Thanks for the laugh.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Johnson is 29 with 5 years left on a contract that pays him $5M AAV. Plus he has a full NTC. Gourde is 28 and starting a 6 year contract that pays him $5.166M AAV.

But given your post, I suppose you would have preferred the Canucks acquired Johnson or Gourde instead? I can't see Johnson having more value. Gourde's value would probably have been close to Miller's. If I was a Lightning fan I would probably want to keep Gourde instead. But as a Canuck fan, I prefer Miller. I'm taking the 26 year old 6'1 200+ lbs Miller coming off a down year with less years on his contract over a 28 year old 5'7 170lbs+ Gourde.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad