Pre-Game Talk: 2020 NHL Draft (October 6th - 7th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
It will be very interesting to see in which year Benning defers his 1st rounder to TB, hopefully not the 20 pick IMO.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
It will be very interesting to see in which year Benning defers his 1st rounder to TB, hopefully not the 20 pick IMO.
The conditional pick isn't optional, it's lottery protected. If we make the playoffs (which seems likely at this point), Tampa gets our 2020 first whether we like it or not which is a great shame. 2021 doesn't look bad, but 2020 looks real nice.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)

It's not a choice. When we miss the playoffs this year, Tampa automatically gets next year's pick.

Unfortunately, Miller is playing just well enough to keep us from getting one of the true stars in this draft.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I can't even get into the draft this year knowing that our pick is up in the air.

Reactions: vanuck

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
The conditional pick isn't optional, it's lottery protected. If we make the playoffs (which seems likely at this point), Tampa gets our 2020 first whether we like it or not which is a great shame. 2021 doesn't look bad, but 2020 looks real nice.

That might not actually be a bad thing. With so much parity in the league, there's always a chance that a team takes a step back. Plus teams could have a different view point as to which draft year is better. I remember that at the time of the Ballard trade the 2011 draft was seen as the better draft but Gillis and the Canucks disagreed.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

Thanks, I should have known that.

At least it takes the decision out of Benning's hands.

I guess it will become more relevant down the stretch.

Reactions: Tryamkin

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
if reports are to be believed, the 2020 draft is top-heavy with some pretty dynamic forward options. The 2021 draft is top-heavy with d-men. Typically drafted d-men take longer to develop and appear in the NHL.

So I suppose once Benning had decided to trade a first rounder for J.T. Miller he did the best he could to mitigate the damage. If the Canucks miss the playoffs this year, they'd have chance to move up in the draft depending on the fall of the lottery balls...and probably get a player closer to helping them going forward.

And although they'd be automatically surrendering their 2021 pick, if it's a d-man it would be somebody who'd need at least two or three years of seasoning. And if the Canucks were to miss the playoffs again in the 2020-21 season, Jimbo is as good as gone anyway.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Canucks are not a lock by any means making playoffs this year. I see them just missing them really as the season moves on. The inevitable defenseman injuries will happen. My dream is we just miss the playoffs and win the draft lottery for once. However be optimum to be part of the playoff race til as late as possible for the kids. Then next year we should expect the playoffs and not just try making them. Regardless of winning the lottery or not the 2020 draft pick I'd much rather have then the 2021 one.

Reactions: wetcoast

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
if reports are to be believed, the 2020 draft is top-heavy with some pretty dynamic forward options. The 2021 draft is top-heavy with d-men. Typically drafted d-men take longer to develop and appear in the NHL.

So I suppose once Benning had decided to trade a first rounder for J.T. Miller he did the best he could to mitigate the damage. If the Canucks miss the playoffs this year, they'd have chance to move up in the draft depending on the fall of the lottery balls...and probably get a player closer to helping them going forward.

And although they'd be automatically surrendering their 2021 pick, if it's a d-man it would be somebody who'd need at least two or three years of seasoning. And if the Canucks were to miss the playoffs again in the 2020-21 season, Jimbo is as good as gone anyway.

20-21 does look weaker than the 20 draft but there are some good forwards to be found there as we get further along.

Strictly speaking for draft purposes and the Canucks needs this draft might be better if they miss the playoffs than 21 but either way they need the pick they do get to be more like EP40/Hughes than Virtanan/Juolevi.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
A “mini Lindros” deal:

Give the Canucks’ upcoming cap storms over these next few years, I’m wondering if the Canucks would consider pulling a “mini Lindros” deal of sorts to get a 1st rounder (and recoup the first that they lost in the Miller deal).

What if the Canucks packaged some of their upcoming RFA’s (Gaudette+Virtanen+Demko) for.........(does that package get you in the top 10?). Obviously - our trading partner would have to be a team that has a lot of cap space, but I’m wondering if a potential deal like that would be mutually beneficial?

Reactions: Tryamkin

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
A “mini Lindros” deal:

Give the Canucks’ upcoming cap storms over these next few years, I’m wondering if the Canucks would consider pulling a “mini Lindros” deal of sorts to get a 1st rounder (and recoup the first that they lost in the Miller deal).

What if the Canucks packaged some of their upcoming RFA’s (Gaudette+Virtanen+Demko) for.........(does that package get you in the top 10?). Obviously - our trading partner would have to be a team that has a lot of cap space, but I’m wondering if a potential deal like that would be mutually beneficial?

Why would Guadette/Virtanen/Demko ever be referred to a "mini Lindros deal?

In a vacuum (ie a non cap world) sure maybe a team trades their first for those 3 guys but it would only be after knowing their position in the draft lottery and it's not going to be for one of the clear top talents in this years draft.

I mean all 3 of those guy have value and demko has possibly the highest ceiling but both Jake and Adam are 23 exactly how much better are they going to get?

Reactions: y2kcanucks

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Why would Guadette/Virtanen/Demko ever be referred to a "mini Lindros deal?

Just in terms of trading green houses for a red hotel (that's an old school Monopoly analogy by the way ;)).

In a vacuum (ie a non cap world) sure maybe a team trades their first for those 3 guys but it would only be after knowing their position in the draft lottery and it's not going to be for one of the clear top talents in this years draft.

That's what I meant to say and I should have clarified. I obviously would want the Canucks to make that deal *right now*, but rather, when the season ended and everyone knew their draft positions.

I mean all 3 of those guy have value and demko has possibly the highest ceiling but both Jake and Adam are 23 exactly how much better are they going to get?

You're likely right about Gaudette and Virtanen (though both players are still young enough to take significant leaps), but both players are still solid players. Furthermore - both players will likely be signed to cap friendly deals and so it's not like their presence on another team would cause too many cap problems.

I honestly don't know what a package of Gaudette, Virtanen, and Demko could get one in the off-season, but you'd have to think that it would be at or near the Top 10.

The Canucks' would be making this deal to........

1) Free up some cap space.
2) Get equivalent value in return for Gaudette, Virtanen, and Demko (while enjoying the benefits of short term cap relief).
3) Take a calculated risk that Dipetro could be where Demko is somewhere down the road, while Tyler Madden could be where Adam Gaudette is somewhere down the road. One of the players in the Canucks' system could be the Virtanen replacement one day.

Nuckler

May 7, 2013
Hoping if the Canucks miss the playoffs they can snag one of the top swedes or Drysdale... Not likely but you never know hopefully a good player falls outside the top 10, can't see us drafting any higher

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
Just got to watch some tape/video of the higher ranked prospects of 2020, and here's my first impressions:

Alexis Lafreniere : Strong winger, who seems to be always on his game. Can play a power game, but has soft hands.
Benn/Radulov hybrid. I think he has star upside for sure but from my first impressions, he doesn't have the highest ceiling in this draft.

Quinton Byfield: blew me away. a 6'4 player who can skate, handle the puck at high speeds and make plays like that is extremely rare.
The first player that comes to mind when watching Byfield is Evgeni Malkin. High high ceiling. I mean he's got to be in the conversation for #1.

Tim Stutzle: Great skater who has excellent hockey sense. He's playing against men in Germany and producing almost ppg. That is rare ( kinda like when Pettersson almost went ppg in Timra in his draft year). Just an offensive weapon, can play setup man on the pp by the half boards, but also good around the net and can create so much space with his skating.

Lucas Raymond: Swedish version of Nathan Mackinnon. Main strength is his skating and puck handling at high speeds and then his laser wrister. Smaller though, listed at 5-10.

Early but based on what I saw so far, I would rank them like this:

Byfield
Stutzle
Lafreniere
Raymond

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Just in terms of trading green houses for a red hotel (that's an old school Monopoly analogy by the way ;)).

That's what I meant to say and I should have clarified. I obviously would want the Canucks to make that deal *right now*, but rather, when the season ended and everyone knew their draft positions.

You're likely right about Gaudette and Virtanen (though both players are still young enough to take significant leaps), but both players are still solid players. Furthermore - both players will likely be signed to cap friendly deals and so it's not like their presence on another team would cause too many cap problems.

I honestly don't know what a package of Gaudette, Virtanen, and Demko could get one in the off-season, but you'd have to think that it would be at or near the Top 10.

The Canucks' would be making this deal to........

1) Free up some cap space.
2) Get equivalent value in return for Gaudette, Virtanen, and Demko (while enjoying the benefits of short term cap relief).
3) Take a calculated risk that Dipetro could be where Demko is somewhere down the road, while Tyler Madden could be where Adam Gaudette is somewhere down the road. One of the players in the Canucks' system could be the Virtanen replacement one day

The problem is that the Canucks can no longer make this deal since you spoiled their secret and now every other team in the NHL is wise to it.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
The problem is that the Canucks can no longer make this deal since you spoiled their secret and now every other team in the NHL is wise to it.

Unfortunately for me (but perhaps fortunately for the Canucks), General Managers of professional hockey teams don’t care about what 38 year old Hindu’s on message boards think. :sad:

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Any thoughts on Marco Rossi? Currently is out-producing Lafreniere with 53 points in 23 games.

A lot to like, makes the game look easy. Seems to have a really good understanding of his own time and space and that of others.

Prospect forum knocks his skating, I don't see a big issue. Apparently only 5'9" but close to 190lbs already.

There must be some really outstanding talents available if this guy is outside most top 10 lists. I could see him finding his way into the top 5 (I'd love for the Canucks to have a shot at a top 5 pick).

Reactions: wetcoast

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If you're thinking 'long term', probably the best scenario is for the Canucks to just miss the playoffs, and then against long odds pull a New Jersey or Philly when the lottery balls drop....both teams moved from outside the top 10 to the top of the heap, snagging the first overall pick.

Now wouldn't that be something?.....it might wipe out an entire 50-year history of draft futility in one fell swoop.

UK Canuck

Dec 27, 2018
If you're thinking 'long term', probably the best scenario is for the Canucks to just miss the playoffs, and then against long odds pull a New Jersey or Philly when the lottery balls drop....both teams moved from outside the top 10 to the top of the heap, snagging the first overall pick.

Now wouldn't that be something?.....it might wipe out an entire 50-year history of draft futility in one fell swoop.

the day the Canucks win a draft lottery will be the day a giant meteor destroys all life on Earth...........so win-win really

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011

For 30 teams each year that's the ideal scenario.

As a Canucks fan, well, we know the odds of that happening.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing

I’ve mentioned it before, but I can definitely see Benning being in on the 2020 draft regardless of whether the pick goes to Tampa or not. Given some of our cap issues that will need to be worked out, I can definitely see us creating a good package to get a 1st rounder (ie something involving Gaudette/Demko, etc.)

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Any thoughts on Marco Rossi? Currently is out-producing Lafreniere with 53 points in 23 games.

He’s ranked around 10 rn which is probably where the Canucks could be picking. The poster below just posted his highlights. Definitely looks like has a ceiling.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Just got to watch some tape/video of the higher ranked prospects of 2020, and here's my first impressions:

Alexis Lafreniere : Strong winger, who seems to be always on his game. Can play a power game, but has soft hands.
Benn/Radulov hybrid. I think he has star upside for sure but from my first impressions, he doesn't have the highest ceiling in this draft.

Quinton Byfield: blew me away. a 6'4 player who can skate, handle the puck at high speeds and make plays like that is extremely rare.
The first player that comes to mind when watching Byfield is Evgeni Malkin. High high ceiling. I mean he's got to be in the conversation for #1.

Tim Stutzle: Great skater who has excellent hockey sense. He's playing against men in Germany and producing almost ppg. That is rare ( kinda like when Pettersson almost went ppg in Timra in his draft year). Just an offensive weapon, can play setup man on the pp by the half boards, but also good around the net and can create so much space with his skating.

Lucas Raymond: Swedish version of Nathan Mackinnon. Main strength is his skating and puck handling at high speeds and then his laser wrister. Smaller though, listed at 5-10.

Early but based on what I saw so far, I would rank them like this:

Byfield
Stutzle
Lafreniere
Raymond

Bold to have Lafreniere at 3. I think flipping him and Byfield in the mainstream ranks is bold enough, but I can live with it. Dropping him below 2 feels like when some had Tavares or MacKinnon outside the top 2 in their rankings.

Also, I have Jamie Drysdale clearly are 3. After seeing the impact Makar and Hughes are having I’m shocked others wouldn’t bump Drysdale up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad