Pre-Game Talk: 2020 NHL Draft (October 6th - 7th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
JD did say Canucks have a lot of interest in Braden Schneider if they got their pick back. Honestly if that were the case I’d rather NJ have our pick since next years draft is supposed to have a lot of high end dmen compared to this years draft
This is gross if true. I don’t see much upside with Schneider.

Reactions: Nabrules

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
JD did say Canucks have a lot of interest in Braden Schneider if they got their pick back. Honestly if that were the case I’d rather NJ have our pick since next years draft is supposed to have a lot of high end dmen compared to this years draft

This is gross if true. I don’t see much upside with Schneider.

Must be true then

You hate to see it...just trade back if you want a D, and try to recoup some draft capital.

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
You hate to see it...just trade back if you want a D, and try to recoup some draft capital.

With so few high-end D in this year's crop I don't think any team will move back because they will fear the Dman that they want will be taken if they slot a few spots back.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

I would absolutely be trading down to try and pick up a 2nd round pick (and trying to not get too mad as to why we don't have said 2nd round pick) in the situation where the play in is fully completed, we lose to Minnesota, we also lose the #1 lottery and are in that 10-14 pick range.

Problem is we haven't seen any aptitude or desire from this management group wrt trading down except for in late rounds.

Reactions: OEL for Norris

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Can see that from a mile out lmao

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Im not very high on this draft's 1st round after the top 10ish players dropoff, to be honest this is a good year to lose a 1st for a player like Miller (even though I doubt we are competitive in any real way during his sweetheart contract and we might end up being better off trading him for a younger cost controlled asset)

Maybe Jarvis/Lapierre and then Zary/Gunler would be interesting but there isn't much that's super appealing. That said though there's a good chance you could get a player who easily could have went at 20-25 in the 40-45 range, so not having a 2nd sucks.

Wonder how Weisbrod becoming Mr. Draftman will affect Bennings propensity to give out picks like candy on Halloween, also if we draft Michael Benning I'm going to howl

Deeds26

Nov 11, 2006
Getting some mixed reports about how the Play in round is not considered "making the playoffs" in the new agreement but no one is clarifying of this means NJD gets our pick no matter what

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Getting some mixed reports about how the Play in round is not considered "making the playoffs" in the new agreement but no one is clarifying of this means NJD gets our pick no matter what

There's no mixed reports, they clarified that weeks ago. Play ins are not playoffs. If you lose the play in you're a lottery team. If we lose to Minny, we pick this year, NJ next year. If we win, New Jersey picks this year.

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
There's no mixed reports, they clarified that weeks ago. Play ins are not playoffs. If you lose the play in you're a lottery team. If we lose to Minny, we pick this year, NJ next year. If we win, New Jersey picks this year.
Except that is currently being argued tonight as NHL.com released an article stating otherwise

Frank Seravelli also stated trade conditions will be arbitrated soon - which would only be the case if the original meaning of what is and isnt playoffs has changed

Its possible this is all wrong and someone messed up somewhere passing information along - though it sort of makes sense if the stats are being called playoff stats that these are playoff series’

Reactions: Canucks LB

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Except that is currently being argued tonight as NHL.com released an article stating otherwise

Frank Seravelli also stated trade conditions will be arbitrated soon - which would only be the case if the original meaning of what is and isnt playoffs has changed

Its possible this is all wrong and someone messed up somewhere passing information along - though it sort of makes sense if the stats are being called playoff stats that these are playoff series’
NHL messed up in awarding Leon the Art Ross already. Thus ending the regular scoring race. Because play in is not making the playoffs, but the NHL wants to count those stats towards the playoffs which does not make sense.

They lack consistency in their decisions.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)

I'm sure it's talking about player stats. The upcoming games aren't regular season games, so players with playoff bonuses get to count those play in games as playoff games. Otherwise those games would fall into a black hole and be neither reg season or playoff.

Pitaya

Dec 14, 2019
I'm sure it's talking about player stats. The upcoming games aren't regular season games, so players with playoff bonuses get to count those play in games as playoff games. Otherwise those games would fall into a black hole and be neither reg season or playoff.
Youd assume so

But then, as I stated, Frank Seravelli tweeted that trade conditions WILL be arbitrated.

Why would arbitration be necessary if not for the games being considered playoffs?

I do, however, think itll end up a typo or misunderstood

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
Youd assume so

But then, as I stated, Frank Seravelli tweeted that trade conditions WILL be arbitrated.

Why would arbitration be necessary if not for the games being considered playoffs?

I do, however, think itll end up a typo or misunderstood

"for statistical purposes"

They've already stated that points, etc. in the play in round go towards playoff statistics so that qualifies that statement. Bob McKenzie has already pointed out that should the Canucks lose in the play in round the best they can hope for is the 15th over all pick because the league is going by points, not regulation wins. He made no mention that NJ gets this pick.

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
Just to add to the confusion, it was my understanding that if the playoffs were to be completed with a Stanley Cup winner, and the Canucks lost out in the QR, the Canucks would be eligible for the lottery with a 12.5% chance as one of the 8 "placeholders".

If the playoffs did not get completed, the Canucks would not be eligible for the lottery based on regular season points percentage.

Can anyone confirm this?

Pitaya

Dec 14, 2019

"for statistical purposes"

They've already stated that points, etc. in the play in round go towards playoff statistics so that qualifies that statement. Bob McKenzie has already pointed out that should the Canucks lose in the play in round the best they can hope for is the 15th over all pick because the league is going by points, not regulation wins. He made no mention that NJ gets this pick.

“As mentioned, there will be some sort of arbitration process coming for conditions on trades.”

You literally posted the tweet that counters the original argument you have...

We need to wait for Elliot Friedman, Bob Mckenzie, someone to wake up and double check if the NHL has reversed its decision after signing the new CBA/MOU or if this was all a misunderstanding

Why would there be any need for arbitration in coming trades then?

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Just to add to the confusion, it was my understanding that if the playoffs were to be completed with a Stanley Cup winner, and the Canucks lost out in the QR, the Canucks would be eligible for the lottery with a 12.5% chance as one of the 8 "placeholders".

If the playoffs did not get completed, the Canucks would not be eligible for the lottery based on regular season points percentage.

Can anyone confirm this?

ive heard that it’s the playin has to be completed for the second lottery as I think that’s planned for aug 10.

although it would def be nhl like to do the second lottery and then dismiss it if they don’t finish the playoffs

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna

Can anyone confirm this?

If the playoffs are cancelled, so is the draft lottery they just did. There was literally no point to doing it. All they did is fuel the tanker crowd with this dumb process. They aren't even having the draft until the fall anyway, so why do it now? They can't trade the picks...

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
the whole "teams are considered" line is after the "For statistical purposes only" in the section called Statistics. People are taking that line out of it's context.

Last edited:
Reactions: VanillaCoke

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
ive heard that it’s the playin has to be completed for the second lottery as I think that’s planned for aug 10.

although it would def be nhl like to do the second lottery and then dismiss it if they don’t finish the playoffs

If the playoffs are cancelled, so is the draft lottery they just did. There was literally no point to doing it. All they did is fuel the tanker crowd with this dumb process. They aren't even having the draft until the fall anyway, so why do it now? They can't trade the picks...
Thanks for responding. Looks like we have clarification in post #595: if we lose to Minny, we keep our lottery pick. Whew!

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
How many people here have seen Braden Schneider play to say that he does not have much upside

Fans typically just dont like defensive defensemen drafted in the 1st rd. We heard the same things when it was rumoured Benning was a big fan of Brandon Carlo going into the 2015 draft. Funnily enough, a Boeser for Carlo deal doesn’t look that bad right about now.

Not sure about Schneider’s upside, but he is definitely an intriguing prospect in this draft. Also looks like he could be NHL ready, sooner than later. Typically I would prefer a more offensive blue liner, but if Rathbone is the real deal, Schneider is a great organizational fit, stylistically.

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
1. Lafreniere
2. Stutzle
3. Byfield
4. Raymond
5. Sanderson
6. Rossi
7. Lundell
8. Perfetti