Pre-Game Talk: 2020 NHL Draft (October 6th - 7th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I'll be happy if we win the series
I'll be happy if we lose the series and get the #1 pick
I'll be upset if we lose the series and pick 15th

You should still be happy if we land pick 15, its better then losing both if the season gets cancelled.

And if we do our homework we should get a good player at 15, i have less faith with brackett gone, but lets see what happens. Some good player will fall we just have to be smart and pick the right player and we can add another core player to our foundation.

I know people will complain about his birthday to death but i like quinn, also like sanderson.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
JD Burke had a good segment on the 1040 morning show today. It's better for the team to try and win the play in and finalize the trade.

(Provided we aren't going to win the lottery.)

With the potential for the team to fall off next year as well as the 2021 draft apparently being very deep in high quality defenders.

I want a shot at Lafraniere as much as anyone but I don't want to see the team and up in an Ottawa/San Jose situation.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
JD Burke had a good segment on the 1040 morning show today. It's better for the team to try and win the play in and finalize the trade.

With the potential for the team to fall off next year as well as the 2021 draft apparently being very deep in high quality defenders.

I want a shot at Lafraniere as much as anyone but I don't want to see the team and up in an Ottawa/San Jose situation.

I don't know that I would call the 2021 draft all that deep. It is top heavy with quality defensemen, but unless you're picking in the top 7 I doubt you'll get much of a game changer.

That being said, this year's draft probably has a drop off after around 10-12 anyway.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

I heard parts of the same TSN 1040 segment with J.D. Burkeon on the car radio, and must say I'm a little baffled. Just about every draft commentator has been quoted as saying that the 2021 draft will be a 'down year', with few players ready to take their place in the NHL.

So even if there are a few potential 'stud d-men' in that draft, it takes them longer to develop anyway. Besides, while I may be an unabashed optimist, I think there's a good chance the Canucks will be a 'better' team in the 2021 season as their young players continue to develop. So their draft pick that spring might be no better than the 21-31 range.

So if it's a choice of a top 15-pick in the 2020 draft, plus a remote shot at drafting Lafreniere, versus a flyer in the back half of the 2021 draft, I know which option I'd choose.

Reactions: Orca Smash

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I heard parts of the same TSN 1040 segment with J.D. Burkeon on the car radio, and must say I'm a little baffled. Just about every draft commentator has been quoted as saying that the 2021 draft will be a 'down year', with few players ready to take their place in the NHL.

So even if there are a few potential 'stud d-men' in that draft, it takes them longer to develop anyway. Besides, while I may be an unabashed optimist, I think there's a good chance the Canucks will be a 'better' team in the 2021 season as their young players continue to develop. So their draft pick that spring might be no better than the 21-31 range.

So if it's a choice of a top 15-pick in the 2020 draft, plus a remote shot at drafting Lafreniere, versus a flyer in the back half of the 2021 draft, I know which option I'd choose.

Admittedly I'm not a prospect guru and I have heard some of the same things about the 21' draft being a weaker year. Burke is much deeper in that world, it's his job after all, so I'm inclined to believe his take about it being a great year to target a defenseman in the first.

I fully expect the team to drop off next season so I love to have the trade competed and in the rear view. That shot at a player like Lafraniere though, hard to ignore.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Admittedly I'm not a prospect guru and I have heard some of the same things about the 21' draft being a weaker year. Burke is much deeper in that world, it's his job after all, so I'm inclined to believe his take about it being a great year to target a defenseman in the first.

I fully expect the team to drop off next season so I love to have the trade competed and in the rear view. That shot at a player like Lafraniere though, hard to ignore.

Burke maybe into the draft, but i dont always agree with his takes or evaluation of prospects. You have no idea how many arguments i got in over pettersson with supposed draft professionals like corey pronman. Do your own research, do your own homework. I can honestly say I have never felt wrong about a player i was incredibly high on the last 3 years i, i have been wrong about players I was not as high on as the media or others (I wasnt high on svechnikov, brady tkachuk, or byfield this year), but it has taught me never to assume they know better. If you go back and analyze the media professional list's, they often are as wrong as some that do this as a hobby. The pettersson draft really taught me that, especially after we passed on matt tkachuk and nylander in prior years.

Never assume because its their job they know more then everyone else.

Last edited:

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I doubt Sanderson gets out of the top 10.

I wouldn't be surprised to see both gone in the top 10.

Sanderson has gained steam lately so i dont disagree, but this years draft has a good top 10, better then last years, so who is falling? Holtz, raymond, rossi, perfetti (not the biggest fan). Stutzel who i dont see the high end potential is gaining a ton of steam.

Every year people tell me zegras will never make it close to us (who i wanted last year), he went one pick before, quinn hughes was an impossible get, many thought dobson was a top 10 lock. I would have taken cole caufield far sooner. Teams reach, there will be a few surprises in the top 10 as i say every year.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012

I will also never agree with his underlying opinion that we have to take a D, he should know better then to draft for position unless we are so perfect up front.... we are not loaded with forwards and scoring depth we can assume we dont need to draft a forward if they are the best player available. Toffoli might have to go....And we just lost madden.

We have hughes on the blue line, and if we can insulate that D core with good solid defenders, resign tanev, teams often win cups with a stud d-man and tons of scoring and scoring depth along with a well coached system.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Also just to clarify the person i was responding to said if we land pick 15 they will be mad.

I know someone did the math but I think 12 is the lowest we can get, is 15 the highest?

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Also just to clarify the person i was responding to said if we land pick 15 they will be mad.

I know someone did the math but I think 12 is the lowest we can get, is 15 the highest?

If all the lower seeds (except the Canucks) win then they would draft #9. Only the loser of WPG-CGY would stay above them in this scenario but obviously one of the 8 teams wins the lottery, so i think even #8 would be possible somehow.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
If we do end up with the 15th overall pick...what are peoples thoughts of trading back to recoup a 2nd/3rd, and targeting a Grans/Wallinder type in the late 1st?
If there isn’t a true “can’t pass on this guy” pick at #15, I’d be happy trading back and selecting Wallinder.

That also means someone else has to want to trade up. Maybe Ottawa (NYI 1st) with their plethora of 2nds?

Reactions: OEL for Norris

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If we do end up with the 15th overall pick...what are peoples thoughts of trading back to recoup a 2nd/3rd, and targeting a Grans/Wallinder type in the late 1st?
Now you're talking. I'd dangle the 15th overall pick in a heartbeat to acquire multiple picks later in the draft.

But if the Canucks best the Wild, then the earliest they'll be drafting is the middle of the third round anyway.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Wait is it already co formed we can’t win the #1 pick?
I thought there was another lottery coming after the playin was confirmed.

But in regards to winning the play in or losing it....considering benning isn’t getting fired either way I almost want to say win the play in and give New Jersey the pick this year.

after looking at the cap crunch we are facing with the team next season at 81.5 million (go look at the management thread) this team is almost certain to be worse next year and could bottom out again even further unless Benning pulls cap magic out his rear.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

But in regards to winning the play in or losing it....considering benning isn’t getting fired either way I almost want to say win the play in and give New Jersey the pick this year.

after looking at the cap crunch we are facing with the team next season at 81.5 million (go look at the management thread) this team is almost certain to be worse next year and could bottom out again even further unless Benning pulls cap magic out his rear.

We can only get #1 overall if the Play In round is completed and we lose the matchup.

If the Play In round doesnt get fully played, then the 8 next lowest points % teams are eligible for the second lottery draft, and we miss out because we went 3-0-0 against NSH whom we are tied with in Points and ROW.

lawrence

May 19, 2012

I actually agree with this one too, since the outcome we wanted all this time was a playoff team which makes the trade for JT Miller us handing over a pick in the teens. Of course I love the 12.5% shot at the 1st pick. but yea, I will totally be happy with us going into the actual playoffs which means we are giving up the 17th pick or higher, next year if things go south, we control the destiny of the pick and not have to worry about losing it no matter how bad things go next year.

lawrence

May 19, 2012

if the season is outright cancelled, the Canucks average points per game, would have actually put us in the playoff spot, thus we will not be able to be in the stage 2 lottery. This outcome will be like us making the playoffs, and we will be giving up the 2oth pick to Devils as part of the JT Miller trade, which the Lighting traded away for a 4th line player.

20th pick is determined that we finish with higher points average then Jets Rangers Flames.

Last edited:

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
I actually agree with this one too, since the outcome we wanted all this time was a playoff team which makes the trade for JT Miller us handing over a pick in the teens. Of course I love the 12.5% shot at the 1st pick. but yea, I will totally be happy with us going into the actual playoffs which means we are giving up the 17th pick or higher, next year if things go south, we control the destiny of the pick and not have to worry about losing it no matter how bad things go next year.

sorry I want a cup contender i do not want a “playoff team”.

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
JD did say Canucks have a lot of interest in Braden Schneider if they got their pick back. Honestly if that were the case I’d rather NJ have our pick since next years draft is supposed to have a lot of high end dmen compared to this years draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig