Pre-Game Talk: 2020 NHL Draft (October 6th - 7th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

datboichoi

May 26, 2020
Now that the first round pick in the trade is finalized for Miller. Canucks can focus on moving forward with all their draft picks intact in the coming years, Miller still locked in a sweetheart deal, Canucks having an absolute electric young core, and are positioned to be a better team year over year.

Not to mention that Canucks still have a great load of prospects that will be vying for NHL jobs (Rathbone, Podkolzin, Hoglander, Lind, Juolevi, Lockwood)

The future is bright!
How exactly are the Canucks positioned to be better next year ?

UK Canuck

Dec 27, 2018
Nah. Markstrom is going to have trade and expansion draft protections guaranteed. No way he re-signs here without that. If you commit to Markstrom then either Demko stays on in a Pekka Rinne and Juuse Saros arrangement or he's gone. Probably a good idea to see if you can get a late first for Demko and acquire a cheap backup and see if Dipietro can be the successor. If the deal is not there, you might as well see if Demko can improve his stock next season.

I'm high on Demko but honestly most of these goalies of the future don't work out. Even taking the next step from young premier backup to top 15 type #1 goalie is a big step.

tbh most goalies dont work out period, or certainly not for long, its the most volatile position in hockey in terms of performance, unless youve got one of the top 4-5 guys in the league, you're just hoping for a hot year or two. Which is why I'd be concerned about committing to Marky, I'd rather go after someone like Khudobin for a year or two to pair with Demko and use the saved cap room to try and sign a D-Man or trade for someone.

Reactions: Bubbles

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
tbh most goalies dont work out period, or certainly not for long, its the most volatile position in hockey in terms of performance, unless youve got one of the top 4-5 guys in the league, you're just hoping for a hot year or two. Which is why I'd be concerned about committing to Marky, I'd rather go after someone like Khudobin for a year or two to pair with Demko and use the saved cap room to try and sign a D-Man or trade for someone.

I’m on the fence, Marky makes us a playoff team, Demko is an unknown maybe he makes us a playoff team maybe not, it’s Markys money that balances that out

We don’t know what Demko can be and there is only one way to find out

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Would be ballsy to let Markstrom go. Goalies often develop later than players. I think I would let Tanev Toffoli and Stecher go before Markstrom. However, I can see the reasoning, of hoping Demko can do it. How much cap would be saved if we needed a vet backup? 3 million? Might be better to trade picks and get rid of deadweight that does not play for team. Not give up a top player who wants to stay here. Would Ian Clark stay without Markstrom, as I believe he only signed for 1 more year. Clark might be more important than Markstrom.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve

Totally agree. While Markstrom has played exceptionally well in the last two years, it's just as likely he will fall back to earth and regress. Depending on what he does in this series, we've seen some signs that may just be happening.

However, we're not one of those teams that require "OK" goaltending. Marky's heroics got us into the playoffs, I mean we are generally defensively terrible. If we had a stellar D core like Carolina, it would be a different story.

My opinion, is like yours. Get a decent vet to backup Demko, let DiPietro develop, and use the cap savings for a Dman or two.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Horvat has 10 solid years left.
It all comes down to injuries. If Bo stays healthy, he's probably got another decade in his career. But right now Green is riding him like a free car rental. And it all comes down to wear and tear on the body.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

People don't realize how hard it is to have the type of careers that Luongo and Ryan Miller had. These guys were legitimate #1 goalies year in and year old in their primes. They always think that this young backup and that young backup outplayed them so the younger and cheaper goalie should be kept and promoted without consideration that those young backups may never be a long term #1 goalie in the NHL.

As for your preference, I don't think it's sound strategy for the short term. In the long run who knows. Obviously, we as fans want the Canucks to make the best decision long term even if it means sacrificing the immediate future. But I'm kind of the opposite of you. I think Markstrom is the sure thing. I think he's a top 10 goalie until he experiences age-related decline (or injury related decline).

Let's not forget that Markstrom himself was once a high 2nd round pick who was once named the best prospect? outside of the NHL so we're talking about a very talented goalie here. Markstrom has fulfilled his potential. Can Demko? I'm not sure but I'm pretty confident Markstrom is going to give his top 10 goalie for the next... I would say 3-4 seasons.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The question is how is the team getting better, saying “they won’t get worse” doesn’t answer the question at all.
Hughes and Petey and a couple of other young guys will get better. But they are strapped by big contracts to bottom 6 guys and now they have 3 guys in Tanev, Toffolli, Markstrom who require around $16 mill or so to be retained and they can’t afford all 3.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
Hughes and Petey and a couple of other young guys will get better. But they are strapped by big contracts to bottom 6 guys and now they have 3 guys in Tanev, Toffolli, Markstrom who require around $16 mill or so to be retained and they can’t afford all 3.

There are a lot of guys that could get better-

Gaudette has a lot of room to grow as a two-way player. He has more to give.

Rathbone/Juolevi will battle to replace Benn/Fantenberg on the bottom pairing. Those young dmen have the upside to be a huge improvement in the blue lines ability to move the puck quickly to the forwards.

Virtanen is on an upward trajectory.

Horvat has room to grow, especially defensively. His tough utilization is only going to make him a stronger matchup player.

Boeser didn’t play his best this season, nor was he healthy. There is potential for a lot of two-way improvement with this player, especially if he avoids injury.

Petterson wasn’t even a PPG player this year. IMO he has 100 point season upside. Does that happen next year?

Quinn Hughes was outstanding, but looking at his development arc, he could still take another step.

Zack MacEwen proved he belonged in the NHL this year. The organization is very high on the big man. Wouldn’t be surprised if he solidifies himself as a top 9 forward next year. The confidence and tools are all there.

Demko had a good year, but another year with Ian Clark could take him to the next level. Lots of upside left in this netminder.

Thats 10 players that all have a decent to good chance to improve. Some of them may not even be in Vancouver, and not all will improve, but there is a lot of untapped upside left in this young core.

But there is another reason why you shouldn’t bet against this team going forward. With heightened expectations coming off this seasons run to the playoffs, ownership could push for moves to make the club stronger in the short term. That means shedding contracts, retaining the top talent and looking to add another piece to take the team to the next level, namely another right side defender.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
fyi guys unless we make it to the 3rd round or higher we will be giving the Devils the 19th pick as of today.

With the Rangers winning the lottery today, have we not made it past the Qualifier the Canucks would have been picking 11th.

thought it would've been pick ten? Wpg pick 9th, Nsh 11th? no Sanderson/Quinn for us then...

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
So now we shouldnt expect Petey, Boeser, Hughes and Horvat to continue improving their game because of all the bad contracts Benning signed.

When you're all-in for despising a man you may as well go all the way.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
So now we shouldnt expect Petey, Boeser, Hughes and Horvat to continue improving their game because of all the bad contracts Benning signed.

When you're all-in for despising a man you may as well go all the way.

It’s also because so many people can’t see past point totals. They see good production from a young player and think that means its unlikely they improve. What they don’t see is the play away from the puck and ability to take on tougher matchups and excel in them, as their two-way profile grows. All 4 of the Canucks best young players have room to grow in this area.

What we are seeing with the young core is just the tip of the iceberg. Don’t be fooled by the gaudy point totals. Pettersson for example looks like he’s trending in the direction of a Pavel Datsyuk - a matchup nightmare for the opposition. A centre equally adept at shutting down the other teams best player as he is burying you with his offensive tools.

And don’t sleep on Vancouver becoming a very desirable destination for free agents, and the impact this can have on team building long term.

This is just the beginning.

Reactions: alternate
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad