Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010

It seems that Amirov has been skyrocketing up lists on the internets within the past few days. Unfortunately for us.

Would New Jersey move one of their 1st rounders (18 or 20) to us for the 24th + Arizona 3rd + another (lower levelish) draft pick?

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
Japersrink put up their top 7 draft pick nominees for the Caps

2020 NHL Draft: The Caps’ Top Seven Options

Rodion Amirov, LW
Shoots Left
KHL/VHL
6’0” - 178lbs
Consensus: 14-25

Marat Khusnutdinov, C
Shoots Left
KHL/MHL
5’9” - 165lbs
Consensus: 34-55

Noel Gunler, RW/LW
Shoots Rights
SHL
6’2” - 174lbs
Consensus: 18-45

Mavrik Bourque, C
Shoots Rights
QMJHL
5’11” - 185lbs
Consensus: 12-28

Jacob Perreault, C
Shoots Rights
OHL
5’11” - 198lbs
Consensus: 23-40

Jan Mysak, C/LW
Shoots Left
OHL
6’0” - 181lbs
Consensus: 16-34

Hendrix Lapierre, C
Shoots Left
QMJHL
6’0” - 180lbs
Consensus: 10-27

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Would New Jersey move one of their 1st rounders (18 or 20) to us for the 24th + Arizona 3rd + another (lower levelish) draft pick?
I guess it's possible if, say, they want to target a defenseman in that range and further build their depth with more picks later on. But they're also reportedly interested in moving one of those picks for immediate help and, if not, if I were them I'd rather stay put and try to add as much high-end talent as possible. Columbus or Philadelphia may be better trade up candidates but we'll see. As far as Amirov goes I don't know if 21 would be high enough.

Reactions: tenken00

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
I guess it's possible if, say, they want to target a defenseman in that range and further build their depth with more picks later on. But they're also reportedly interested in moving one of those picks for immediate help and, if not, if I were them I'd rather stay put and try to add as much high-end talent as possible. Columbus or Philadelphia may be better trade up candidates but we'll see. As far as Amirov goes I don't know if 21 would be high enough.

I liked the world better when teams were risk-adverse to drafting Russian youngsters.

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
Mavrik? Affirmative Ghostrider, cleared for drafting.

200.gif

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010

And probably more open to trading their pick. Although we probably won't be the ones to bite, I'm expecting a wild eventful draft this year.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Interesting mock by Pronman given industry hearsay and doing all seven rounds. Greig's got some offensive sense to him so I'd be alright if that's the pick. Maybe not super high upside but he could be someone that helps in the playoffs. Peterka is kind of similar in that regard, albeit less physical. I don't know that Barron/Wallinder have enough offensive upside to warrant heavy consideration there.

Based on industry chatter it seems like Amirov, Reichel and perhaps Greig could be off the board (albeit closer on the later two). I don't know if I'd be too into Brisson or Colangelo there. Decent options but a bit more long-term. Perreault seems to be perhaps be in range and worst-case maybe someone like Gunler, Bourque or Khusnutdinov from an upside standpoint (although they haven't drafted out of the QMJHL in ten! years). I could also see them liking Mysak but it's a tad early. Corey's other picks are fine, albeit somewhat pedestrian. I'd expect them to seriously consider a goaltender at some point. Commesso probably doesn't make it to 80 but someone like Garand later on could make sense.

Reactions: Marshall

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Sam Cosentino's final rankings. Reichel 23, Gunler 24. Seems like there's that top 19 or so then Amirov, Reichel, Greig, Perreault and perhaps Gunler. Gunler has a little more variation on where he'll go but given the skill level and need for a right shot organizationally that probably should be the floor for the pick. Those five pretty well fit the bill for their tastes, although they certainly could depart from that group and it also only takes one team deviating earlier on to shake things up. Every year that seems to happen so perhaps Reichel or Greig are there. If not, Perreault & Gunler both fill that right shot/future 3RW/post-Oshie top six RW need and offer solid goal-scoring upside. That's how I'd boil it down. They could fancy other options but from a pure value standpoint at that spot that seems like the play.

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
The Hockey News (when did they get bought out by Sports Illustrated?) has the Caps taking:

https://www.si.com/hockey/news/2020-first-round-mock-draft

24. Washington Capitals: J.J. Peterka, LW, Red Bull Munich (DEL): The second of Germany's WJC trio with Stuetzle and Lukas Reichel, Peterka has speed, power and a penchant for hunting pucks. He can move up and down a lineup, which is great for a Caps team that will be in transition soon. Currently on loan to Salzburg in Austria, where he's off to a great start.

With the Avs taking Gunler right after. And a mention about immaturity that I'm hearing for the first time:

25. Colorado Avalanche: Noel Gunler, RW, Lulea (SHL): The Avs are in such a great spot right now that they can take a bit of a chance on Gunler, a great scorer who uses his speed and shot to make things happen. He's been tagged as immature by some and been snubbed for some national teams, but NHL scouts believe the problem is overblown.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Just realized Geoff Sanderson's son is likely a top-10 pick. #8 was one of my favorite players growing up -- have an autographed jersey of him somewhere from when we were season ticket holders to the Whalers. Time flies.

SI has the Caps taking J-J Peterka. My top three are Amirov, Schneider, or Gunler.

Reactions: Rayquaza64

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
FWIW Gunler has no points in three SHL games thus far on Lulea's fourth-line. The team is undefeated but at least early on it seems he's got a smaller role.

My short list will remain Amirov, Reichel or Greig among likely candidates. After that I'd be open to many options, including trading down. The big X factor are the interviews and particularly with players that have consistency concerns that input can be huge. I wouldn't be surprised if Khusnutdinov or Peterka were in the mix due to speed/energy alone. As long as they're targeting offensive upside I can get behind the logic regardless.

Reactions: Rayquaza64

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
https://thehockeywriters.com/the-hockey-writers-2020-nhl-mock-draft-round-1/

Hockey Writers have them taking Jacob Perreault (but have them picking at 25)

They have Marat Khusnutdinov going to Colorado at 24

Interesting that they have Philly taking Hendrix Lapierre who dropped primarily due to neck injuries and concussions when Nolan Patrick is still out indefinitely due to concussion complications. Not sure I see the Flyers being very eager to roll the dice there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig