• Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Do you think Connor McMichael will make any difference next season? I think he's in the mix. Even if he doesn't make the team straight away he will push guys for their spots. He was picked 25th year ago.

I don't think he'll make a meaningful difference, no. It sounds like BMac thinks McMichael is not ready for full-time NHL duty. I don't know Lavi's tendency with putting young guys into the lineup but Burakovsky is the last player this organization has drafted that's played meaningful minutes with the club within their first two years of getting drafted.

And I don't think hoping a prospect can be fast-tracked is the best way to spend the latter parts of Ovi and Nick's run. You either draft a guy to keep the pipeline somewhat stocked or you trade the pick if you want help now or next year.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006

McMichael's linemate. The 25th pick seems a bit rich for him but someone to keep in mind. He's more of a trade back candidate I think and perhaps that's sensible enough if they could add a second round pick.

PB12

Jul 7, 2015
I voted Holloway. There is a decent chance he could drop. I have seen him go anywhere from 17th to 22nd pick. I believe the Caps have pick 24, so there might be a chance.

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia
Hopefully, Amirov falls to us, since I really think he has a really high ceiling, but any one of like
Amirov
Mysak
Reichel
Peterka
Bourque
Jarvis would be fine
Peterka if he signs with London would be really nice since then he could play with McMichael, which would help build some chemistry between two of our top forward prospects

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia
If they want help now they should trade the pick. No one they select at 25 is going to make any difference in the team for the next two years.
Yes, if we want to win now trading the pick for a top 4 RD who isnt a liability in the defensive zone, however drafting now also has the upside of starting to develop a future core that can start to form at the end of the ovi/backstrom era and take over for them, so we dont have to have an elongated rebuild. It will be interesting to see what management does and I'm on board for either path

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
And I don't think hoping a prospect can be fast-tracked is the best way to spend the latter parts of Ovi and Nick's run. You either draft a guy to keep the pipeline somewhat stocked or you trade the pick if you want help now or next year.

If you figure Ov for 5 more years then the Caps dont need this player to play meaningful mins in the first two years. What they need more so is to hit at least one player in the next couple of drafts that can produce well over his cap hit. They need Samsono to hit, they need Fehervary and maybe one other defenseman to make the top 4 and they need McMichael and/or one other top make the top 6 while their cap hits are low.

I wouldnt be trading their first round picks. Unless they lose Mahoney and they all bets are off

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
If you figure Ov for 5 more years then the Caps dont need this player to play meaningful mins in the first two years. What they need more so is to hit at least one player in the next couple of drafts that can produce well over his cap hit. They need Samsono to hit, they need Fehervary and maybe one other defenseman to make the top 4 and they need McMichael and/or one other top make the top 6 while their cap hits are low.

I wouldnt be trading their first round picks. Unless they lose Mahoney and they all bets are off

Depends on how you define the window. If you think they only have ~2 years left as legit contenders then you trade the pick. If they think they can remain competitive until the end of 19/8's new contracts then sure, have more of an eye towards the future.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
The issue with trading the pick for immediate help is what else has to move for cap reasons. Not to say it's impossible but it's complicated and not just about getting the right value back in isolation.

Reactions: Rayquaza64

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Depends on how you define the window. If you think they only have ~2 years left as legit contenders then you trade the pick. If they think they can remain competitive until the end of 19/8's new contracts then sure, have more of an eye towards the future.

With the good Kuznetsov, a fully developed Vrana, a continuing dominant Tom Wilson plus a legit top 4 Fehervary and a legit stud goalie, Samsonov, I see more than a 2 year window. I thought we expected that Ov would still be in the 30 goal range at 40. I cant imagine Backstrom no longer being a legit NHL player in 3 years. I think they can make the right choices and remain competitive.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006

Before this many seemed to believe he was nonetheless a first rounder. I wonder if that's still the case. There aren't too many fringe first round D candidates but O'Rourke seems more appealing. Overall, the quality seems to be predominantly up front.

If I had to wager via three options for 25 I'd go with Gunler, Perreault or Greig but so much hinges on how the board falls. It does seem like Gunler has a good shot of being available as Wheeler said earlier in the week in a chat that he could fall out of the first round entirely. Perreault & Greig could both go surprisingly early according to some but, again, hard to peg. Reichel is reportedly someone that may go 17-23. Wallinder seems a bit more fuzzy and I wouldn't think Amirov or Bourque fall that far. We'll see. Peterka or Mysak could also line up but I'd put them slightly lower on the board.

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia
I could see either Amirov or Bourque falling due to either GMs reaching on dmen for Bourque or being scared of Amirov not coming over. Wallinder would be a decent pick, or any of Mysak/Peterka/Jarvis if he's still there
Just as long as we pick a top 6 upside forward I really dont care, but I'd obviously like the best player avaliable

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Wingers will fall as usually as it's still the least important position. Hoping for one of the centers to fall to us but highly doubt it.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006

2+1 for Amirov today in a 6-5 win. Alexeyev had an assist. Mukhamadullin had another assist and would be a fine choice with Arizona's third round if he lasts. Can't imagine Amirov slides to 25 at this point. The Russian Factor doesn't seem to be what it once was. Askarov's early start may also push him into the top ten.

Greig's center potential may well push him into the early 20's. After that Zary/Mercer/Lapierre tier he's likely the best bet and it may elevate his stock further. The same may go for Wallinder after Guhle/Schneider. Gunler/Perreault/Peterka then seems like a fairly ordinary trio of potential outcomes with perhaps a shot at Bourque or Reichel sliding.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Brock two round mock draft. I might quibble with the logic of Guhle to Edmonton but certainly a lot of thought put into these picks. I wonder if the logic behind Brisson to CGY at 19 doesn't also hold for Washington (pace vs. IQ). Colangelo is another intriguing fringe first round option that may deserve a bit more recognition. I'd be surprised if Bourque slides that far but you never know. Gunler & Mysak seem like the biggest wild cards.
25. Washington Capitals - John Jason Peterka
The Capitals have selected Swiss players in three of the last five drafts, so it is obvious that they spend a lot of time scouting central Europe. Peterka, a German forward, has steadily risen up draft lists this year with his strong play Internationally. With speed to burn and a raw offensive skill set, Peterka could be very intriguing to a Capitals team who could stand to add more pace among the forwards in their farm system. Additionally...hear me out. Peterka is a London Knights selection in the Import Draft (not currently signed). They could push for him to join London to play alongside Connor McMichael.
In such a scenario I'd go with Zary. Maybe not as much pace as Peterka but the work ethic and IQ are worth it and he also seems like a good fit with CMM. Being a WHLer doesn't hurt either. My short list changes constantly but for now I'll go with one of Amirov, Reichel, Bourque or Greig. (Only Bourque is there in this mock.) The top 18 in Brock's mock seem very likely to be gone. Zary seems like he should also be in that group but, if not, I wouldn't hesitate. Those four+Zary push 18 to 23 so they only need two other players going beforehand for one to be available. That represents a little more maximum value should it happen but time will tell. Lots of worthwhile middle six options regardless.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
should the washington capitals draft Marat Khusnutdinov? My column (not actually mine)
25 is a bit early so more of a trade back candidate. Plenty of speed but he's going to need perhaps quite some time to fill out, esp. to play center.

After Amirov/Reichel/Bourque/Greig I'm coming around to Evangelista. He's billeted with the same family as McMichael and they're linemates as well. His boxcars aren't flat out amazing but then he had little PP time last year so almost all of his production came 5-on-5 with CMM. He also killed penalties and IMO that's a real plus on top of offensive upside given the makeup of this team's forward core. I think LE has a little more offensive upside compared to Peterka and is a little safer in some respects compared to Perreault. They might be able to trade back slightly but the London/CMM connection should put him firmly on the radar.

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia
25 is a bit early so more of a trade back candidate. Plenty of speed but he's going to need perhaps quite some time to fill out, esp. to play center.

After Amirov/Reichel/Bourque/Greig I'm coming around to Evangelista. He's billeted with the same family as McMichael and they're linemates as well. His boxcars aren't flat out amazing but then he had little PP time last year so almost all of his production came 5-on-5 with CMM. He also killed penalties and IMO that's a real plus on top of offensive upside given the makeup of this team's forward core. I think LE has a little more offensive upside compared to Peterka and is a little safer in some respects compared to Perreault. They might be able to trade back slightly but the London/CMM connection should put him firmly on the radar.
Id easily trade back if evangelista was who we were going for, he should be avaliable in the early-mid 2nd round + we could get another pick

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
There's a lot of late chatter that Evangelista could go in the first round. GMs like London Knights and analytics types won't have missed the 5-on-5 production. Throw in PP time and he could have been an 80+ point producer and be more squarely in that early 20's range. I don't think he's on the level of Jarvis per se but he's a crafty playmaking right shot winger and that's a pretty decent fit as organizational needs go. The CMM chemistry angle could help further. Ideally a trade back for a second or third could line up if the board calls for it but I don't think he's entirely outlandish at 25 (again, depending on what's available). Of course, Mahoney under MacLellan has traded up six times (including twice last year) versus trading down just once in six drafts so the opposite is more likely. If they believe there's a top 15 talent available in the early 20's they may well move up a bit instead. They only have five picks as-is but quality over quantity has been their motto for some time now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad