NHL Entry Draft 2020 NHL Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Fine opinion. 10/10 scouts McKenzie polled had Laf #1 in the preseason ranking .. So that consensus among those scouts would not call it 1A 1 B. They have whole season ahead so that could change by the end of it.

I seem to remember him saying that while all 10 had Laf #1, most/many said that the gap was not insurmountable between him and handful of other guys. Seems kinda like the 2013 draft in that sense... Jones was rated as the consensus #1 at the start of the year but by the end of it, Mackinnon, Barkov, Drouin and Jones were all in contention for #1 and Jones ended up going 4th. No chance Laf goes 4th but I think the consensus is that the gap between him and the guys 2,3,4 is not as big as once thought.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016

Carter Savoie with a strong start to the season. He has 9 G and 8 A for 17 PTS in 7 GP in the AJHL this season.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016

I'm surprised that Antonio Stranges and Jaromir Pytlik are not in the top 31 here. Both have had strong starts to the season.
Antonio Stranges OHL 4 GP 5 G 2 A 7 PTS
Jaromir Pytlik OHL 4 GP 2 G 5 A 7 PTS

If they are both available in the 2nd round that could be a win for us but I would think they would jump up based on how they have performed thus far. I am also surprised to see Lucas Raymond ranked ahead of Quinton Byfield, also based on start of season performance.
Quinton Byfield OHL 5 GP 6 G 6 A 12 PTS
Lucas Raymond SHL 6 GP 1 G 0 A 1 PT

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I'm surprised that Antonio Stranges and Jaromir Pytlik are not in the top 31 here. Both have had strong starts to the season.
Antonio Stranges OHL 4 GP 5 G 2 A 7 PTS
Jaromir Pytlik OHL 4 GP 2 G 5 A 7 PTS

If they are both available in the 2nd round that could be a win for us but I would think they would jump up based on how they have performed thus far. I am also surprised to see Lucas Raymond ranked ahead of Quinton Byfield, also based on start of season performance.
Quinton Byfield OHL 5 GP 6 G 6 A 12 PTS
Lucas Raymond SHL 6 GP 1 G 0 A 1 PT

1. Should post this on the prospects page , you may get an answer from them
2. They probably are not looking at the beginning of this year for the total or largest part of the sample they are evaluating on
3. Maybe they love them some Lucas Raymond
4. Its really hard to compare across the SHL and the CHL in a small sample. Guys like Raymond, Holtz and Gunler are/were trying to land a spot on the senior team in the men's pro league. They would not have the icetime or the PP time etc that your star CHL player would have.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Who do you guys like with our SJ 1st?

Can only comment on the guys I've seen snippets of, so mainly the OHL guys.

Jacob Perreault and Jaromir Pytlick are a couple of high end offensive talents. Both are currently PPG+ in the early stages of the OHL season. Perreault is small-ish, but is equally adept as a shooter or a passer. Thinks the game at a real high level, imo. Pytlick is like a rich mans Adam Ruzicka, he's got size and speed and also has a real high overall hockey IQ (both offensive and defensive zone).

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
1. Should post this on the prospects page , you may get an answer from them
2. They probably are not looking at the beginning of this year for the total or largest part of the sample they are evaluating on
3. Maybe they love them some Lucas Raymond
4. Its really hard to compare across the SHL and the CHL in a small sample. Guys like Raymond, Holtz and Gunler are/were trying to land a spot on the senior team in the men's pro league. They would not have the icetime or the PP time etc that your star CHL player would have.

I was thinking that given it is a temporary ranking that is updated throughout the season that the rankings would in some way have a bit of a recency bias. There are probably a lot of debates about who is better between Byfield and Raymond and how to compare the SHL to the OHL when it comes to point production. I thought that Byfield's strong start from a point perspective and Raymond's weak start (based solely on point production) would at least temporarily have Byfield ranked above Raymond.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Who do you guys like with our SJ 1st?

Assuming that San Jose's pick ends up mid to late first round, the players I am keeping an eye on are Jaromir Pytlik, Connor Zary, Justin Sourdiff and Antonio Stranges. Tim Stutzle, Dylan Holloway and Marco Rossi are also interesting but they are expected to go earlier.

Reactions: senswon

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Their division is terrible: they get to play Edmonton, Anaheim and LA a whole lot.

I expect San Jose's first rounder to be 20+.
Yeah something will have to go drastically wrong for them to not be in the 22nd to 31st range.

With all the assets the sens have to move this year the three 2nds they already have i hope they use them and the san jose first to move up. The sens need 2 star forwards from this draft.

Reactions: aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Yeah something will have to go drastically wrong for them to not be in the 22nd to 31st range.

With all the assets the sens have to move this year the three 2nds they already have i hope they use them and the san jose first to move up. The sens need 2 star forwards from this draft.
Agreed, but their first choice to move up should be for the elite #1 goalie & if they can't make a deal for that guy than yes two forwards would definitely be needed especially if one plays RW.

I assume that Anderson should be traded this yr & Nilsson could be gone by the end of next season, if Hogberg can outplay him. I just don't see Nilsson as a long term goalie here or a guy they can win in the playoffs with. IMO they need an elite goalie for their future & IMO Askorov is that guy.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Their division is terrible: they get to play Edmonton, Anaheim and LA a whole lot.

I expect San Jose's first rounder to be 20+.
Could also depend if they can stay healthy, it's a long season & some of their players are getting older.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
san jose might be better this year than last their young guys are real solid and Karlsson should be 100% and more comfortable there. I expect a 28-31 pick

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Agreed, but their first choice to move up should be for the elite #1 goalie & if they can't make a deal for that guy than yes two forwards would definitely be needed especially if one plays RW.

I assume that Anderson should be traded this yr & Nilsson could be gone by the end of next season, if Hogberg can outplay him. I just don't see Nilsson as a long term goalie here or a guy they can win in the playoffs with. IMO they need an elite goalie for their future & IMO Askorov is that guy.

No thanks this draft has guaranteed great forwards all the way to 15. Its a guaranteed impact player. Goalies are a complete crap shoot and the sens are stocked in that department. Not to mention goalies take so long to develop this goalie wont be ready with the core. They have invested in goalies and D on purpose as they take longer to develop. I believe there is a very distinct way they are doing this rebuild with a purpose. Always target the forwards last as they take the least amount of time to develop.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Slightly OT, but I just can’t get used to the Eagles. They’ll always be the Screaming Eagles to me, walking into the rink seems so different :laugh:

Egor Sokolov is a guy we should be looking at in the mid rounds as our usual overage pick. Lots of skill, and absolutely massive.

Attachments

• 84FCD967-5C75-494F-A757-D9BBBB10AE9D.jpeg
    84FCD967-5C75-494F-A757-D9BBBB10AE9D.jpeg
    218 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: RAFI BOMB

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Slightly OT, but I just can’t get used to the Eagles. They’ll always be the Screaming Eagles to me, walking into the rink seems so different :laugh:

Egor Sokolov is a guy we should be looking at in the mid rounds as our usual overage pick. Lots of skill, and absolutely massive.

Wait..they're NOT the Screaming Eagles anymore!? That was the best team name in junior hockey! What gives?

Reactions: BondraTime

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
No thanks this draft has guaranteed great forwards all the way to 15. Its a guaranteed impact player. Goalies are a complete crap shoot and the sens are stocked in that department. Not to mention goalies take so long to develop this goalie wont be ready with the core. They have invested in goalies and D on purpose as they take longer to develop. I believe there is a very distinct way they are doing this rebuild with a purpose. Always target the forwards last as they take the least amount of time to develop.
While I understand the hesitation I doubt Askorov will take that long to be better than any other goalie in this organization. Without a great goalie it will be Lalime all over again & we'll be stuck in the first rd. This is a deep draft & IMO with all the picks they have they should be able to draft a number of good players into the 2nd rd & 3rd rd or even move up to get another first. Byfield & Askorov IMO will be two of the best players that come out of this draft (Lafreneire is obvious).

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
They kicked off a rebranding at the draft, it was my first time here this season and felt so much different :laugh:

Ah the dreaded re-brand. I kinda like the new logo, so I'll give them credit for that I guess. They'll still always be the Screaming Eagles to me though :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad