NHL Entry Draft 2020 NHL Draft Discussion - PART XV [We got 3-5]

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
If the right package isn’t there though for 3 they’ll take Rossi and take whichever of Sanderson or Quinn falls to 5.
Nice players, but this scenario would not be ideal. Sometimes I wonder if Pierre and Melnyk just enjoy watching the fanbase squirm.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Ok so I know how this looks with a brand new account and everything so I don’t blame anyone who’s skeptical but I do have a good reason for doing it like this. I heard from someone I really trust about these things that Ottawa isn’t sold on Stutzle and will try to trade down if Byfield is taken by LA. If the right package isn’t there though for 3 they’ll take Rossi and take whichever of Sanderson or Quinn falls to 5.
Our GM and head scout have publicly said otherwise, but thanks for the info!

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Ok so I know how this looks with a brand new account and everything so I don’t blame anyone who’s skeptical but I do have a good reason for doing it like this. I heard from someone I really trust about these things that Ottawa isn’t sold on Stutzle and will try to trade down if Byfield is taken by LA. If the right package isn’t there though for 3 they’ll take Rossi and take whichever of Sanderson or Quinn falls to 5.
Absolutely false. The only thing that might happen is Quinn at 5.

Gtp3578

Oct 2, 2020
Absolutely false. The only thing that might happen is Quinn at 5.

It could be. I’m definitely not in the room for these discussions but I heard it from someone who’s known things before and that I trust on this so I figured I’d pass it along. I’d be just as happy as everyone else if it’s wrong.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
just for aguments sake,

Say we trade back to 7 and 18 with NJD or trade up to 14 with EDM,

Can we get Askarov at 17? At 14?

Is Askarov at 5 and Jarvis or Lundell at 14 better than Sanderson or Raymond at 5 and whatever we would have taken with the picks to move up to 14 (28, 33 ect)

I want Raymond myself, but Jarvis or Lundell and Askarov is pretty tempting, for example. No guarantee that those guys would be available ar 14 mind you...

If I had to guess I don’t think he would be there at 17, but maybe at 14. Problem with 14 is you have a Canes right before... I think they would snag him.

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
The closer the draft comes, the more and more I'm starting to believe Ottawa will draft Askarov at 5 :cry:
tell me where you live, I'll go slap you to wake you up of your nightmare.

Shawn Simpson

Goalie -- shoots R
Born Aug 10 1968 -- Gloucester, ONT
[52 yrs. ago]
Height 5.11 -- Weight 155 [180 cm/70 kg]

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

We all believe you... Why wouldn't we... stop by before the draft next year. Always good to hear this kind of insider news

Reactions: JaredCowen4Norris

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
just for aguments sake,

Say we trade back to 7 and 18 with NJD or trade up to 14 with EDM,

Can we get Askarov at 17? At 14?

Is Askarov at 5 and Jarvis or Lundell at 14 better than Sanderson or Raymond at 5 and whatever we would have taken with the picks to move up to 14 (28, 33 ect)

I want Raymond myself, but Jarvis or Lundell and Askarov is pretty tempting, for example. No guarantee that those guys would be available ar 14 mind you...
Askarov won’t make it past Nashville in my opinion, so if you want him, you need to draft him within the top-10.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Problem with that is the only realistic trade up I can see is with the Oilers at 14.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

Johnny Hanson

Jul 6, 2008
Although Dorion and Mann both suggested otherwise, I do appreciate the info. Maybe your insider info is right though, Mann did seem to go out of his way multiple times to prepare the fan base for what could possibly be an off the board pick. So who knows! October 6 can’t come soon enough

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
“A silky, smooth skater, ***** shows high potential as puck moving defensive prospect. He has the speed to join or lead the rush, and get back defensively. He has the edgework and agility to pivot quickly and cover large areas of the ice, or to walk the line and open up passing and shooting lanes. He is calm and composed with the puck, has good stickhandling ability and can make a strong pass either to start the transition, or set up a play from the blueline. His shot is decent, and he has good accuracy, but he could stand to add some more muscle, and make it even harder.Defensively he has good positioning and is willing to play a physical game in front of the net and in the corners.”

The player that the scout is talking about?

Thomas Chabot.

Sanderson will be a good one. In fact I see some similarities in Sanderson and Chabot at the same age.

Granted I will admit Sanderson is ahead defensively and Chabot was ahead offensively but its not inconceivable that Sanderson can become a top pairing dman

Reactions: NB613

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I think it's pretty hard to be conclusive about that.

I think his ranking has shot up in recent weeks.

We don't know when the Senators staff conclusively finalized their picks, if at all.
He was 9th in McKenzie's January rankings with rankings from scouts as high as 6th, before he took his game to completely different level. He's been a top 5 contender since the halfway point of the season, and has since improved his stock.

He checks every single box for the Sens drafting, the one thing they have proven to be good at, and has been in the running for a top 5 pick for 9 months.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
This is exactly my worry summed up on Jake Sanderson:

I think people are entranced with the idea of Jake Sanderson.

I don't know. He's a good player. I really think a lot of these guys are really close... All that matters is who the Sens want there out of who is left to take.
I am still hoping hoping for them to pull a rabbit out of a hat and take Rossi but.. there have great choices in the top 10 where 4-10 you could pretty much throw a dart.

I am leaving today for a week and will miss the draft entirely. I think Stutzle / Byfield and Raymond would be great as well. If they go Sanderson or Drysdale ..thats fine too.

Reactions: NyQuil and bert

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
If I had to guess I don’t think he would be there at 17, but maybe at 14. Problem with 14 is you have a Canes right before... I think they would snag him.
I think Carolina is his most likely destination by far.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Sounds like Sanderson is a sure thing at 5 unless the Wings take him. Way too much smoke.
Honestly that feels like it would be the opposite of a sure thing for me. When has there even been a lot of smoke about a Sens draft pick that turned to fruition? Who knows, maybe the Sens will go with Drysdale since absolutely nobody is talking about him anymore for #5.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I think it's pretty hard to be conclusive about that.

I think his ranking has shot up in recent weeks.

We don't know when the Senators staff finalized their picks, if at all.

Did it shoot up or are people just slow to catch onto his talent and draft ranking?

Thats always my thought when I hear that comment

Reactions: BondraTime

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad