NHL Entry Draft 2020 NHL Draft Discussion - PART XII [We got 3-5]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
honestly guys, i just dont see Rossi NOT making it in some impactful way lol. hes just too involved all the time. way too skilled way too smart. he could be 5'5 and i would still bet on him

Yeah I think he's a very safe bet to be a 40-60P guy. Just don't think his potential is as high as guys like Raymond or Perfetti, which is why he's 7th on my list and those two guys are top 5.

Reactions: Cosmix

R2010

May 23, 2011

He also said there may be teams that do not have Laf #1 based on his recent conversations and he doesn't see how Stutzle will fall below #2. The implication being that there is at least some debate as to Stutzle at #1 for a couple teams.

Reactions: bert

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
It sounds like Stutzle would be disappointed if he falls to us. (Inferiority complex-flexing is the proper way to be a Sens fan.)

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
He also said there may be teams that do not have Laf #1 based on his recent conversations and he doesn't see how Stutzle will fall below #2. The implication being that there is at least some debate as to Stutzle at #1 for a couple teams.
lmao jeez.

Cat Herder

Formerly BigSensFan
Sep 21, 2006
Belle River,On
his faults cant always lie elsewhere... all these guys i see pointing out his flaws on twitter were the same people saying last summer to look out for Stutzle to rise all year. they still like him. but he isnt a perfect prospect. he does get tunnel vision and he doesnt hang on too long. these things can be fixed. but at some point like they need to be HIS faults, not everyone around him's. and again these are exhibtion games after lots of time off, everyone is rusty.. including him.

I never intended to mean that he is without fault, I am just saying that there are also issues on his line that is exasperating the problem.

foggyvisor

Jun 28, 2018
I think a couple of guys from the draft will put up better regular season totals than Laf. But Laf will be that guy that every single GM would draft #1 for the potential of him in the playoffs. He's got that warrior game.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Stutzle is definitely not close to Lafreniere from what I've seen. I'd be thrilled to land Byfield.

Consensus opinion is that he's not close to as good right now, but that's mostly because he's a year of development behind Lafreniere.

He's been better at the same age. Same for Byfield. At the same age Lafreniere had 105P/61GP in the Q and was an afterthought at the WJC like Byfield.

I think Stutzle and Byfield have similar upside, just aren't as likely to reach it as Lafereniere.

Reactions: bert

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
H
Consensus opinion is that he's not close to as good right now, but that's mostly because he's a year of development behind Lafreniere.

He's been better at the same age. Same for Byfield. At the same age Lafreniere had 105P/61GP in the Q and was an afterthought at the WJC like Byfield.

I think Stutzle and Byfield have similar upside, just aren't as likely to reach it as Lafereniere.
I don’t believe Stutzle is better than Lafreniere at the same age. Lafreniere has been an elite talent and the #1 prospect in the draft for the last four years. He would have dominated in DEL.

ijif

Dec 20, 2018

It is not fair to compare Stutzle to Lafreniere in terms of development year. Once you compare these two players by development year, you have now reversed and nearly tripled the age difference between the players. Right now, Lafreniere is 3 months and 4 days older than Stutzle. In equivalent development years, Lafreniere is 8 months and 26 days younger than Stutzle.

With Byfield, this problem does not exist. I have no issue comparing Byfield's DY to Lafreniere's DY-1.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

That part sounds like a bit of distraction. Not a chance in hell Laf isn't #1.

That's why it's hard to read a lot of teams at this point before a draft. Many of them will throw out that kind of stuff to hide their true intentions.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
H

I don’t believe Stutzle is better than Lafreniere at the same age. Lafreniere has been an elite talent and the #1 prospect in the draft for the last four years. He would have dominated in DEL.
I dont think there is a big difference between Lafreniere, Stutzle and Byfield at this point. They all have the elite potential to be the best player in the draft. I am just happy the sens are getting one of them. Stutzle was the best of the 3 by a pretty wide margin at the WJC as a 17 year old. He has incredible skill and raw talent. Lafreniere is definitely the safest of the three and rightfully deserves to be number 1 but it wouldnt shock me to see either Byfield or Stutzle end up being the better player at the end of the day.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I dont think there is a big difference between Lafreniere, Stutzle and Byfield at this point. They all have the elite potential to be the best player in the draft. I am just happy the sens are getting one of them. Stutzle was the best of the 3 by a pretty wide margin at the WJC as a 17 year old. He has incredible skill and raw talent. Lafreniere is definitely the safest of the three and rightfully deserves to be number 1 but it wouldnt shock me to see either Byfield or Stutzle end up being the better player at the end of the day.

Agreed. Laf is further along in his development curve. Byfield and Stuetzle have similar upside though.

Thrilled that we will be getting one of them. Personally i like Byfield, big centers with his skating and skill level are so rare. Hope he falls to us.

ijif

Dec 20, 2018
Agreed. Laf is further along in his development curve. Byfield and Stuetzle have similar upside though.

Thrilled that we will be getting one of them. Personally i like Byfield, big centers with his skating and skill level are so rare. Hope he falls to us.

Lafreniere is further along in his development path than Stutzle strictly based upon age; however, Lafreniere is only ~3 months older than Stutzle. If we baseline by development year, the difference is reversed and nearly tripled in Stutzle's favour. It basically ends up being the same as comparing Byfield to Stutzle right now, and you can't do that directly because Byfield is ~7 months younger than Stutzle. That needs to be taken into account.

If these prospects are roughly the same in terms of ability, Stutzle should be better in each development year because he is by far the oldest player in each development year. For this reason and having more opportunity, Stutzle should have been better than Byfield and Lafreniere at the WJC in the same development years.

If two forwards with the same development path are born on the same days as Lafreniere and Stutzle, there is no difference in the probability between the players in terms of playing 200+ games or scoring ~60 points per year (Hockeyprospecting model).

upload_2020-7-22_6-18-11.png

Players that hit an NHLe of 20 in DY-1 and 30 in DY will have the same probability scores if they are born after the September cut-off or the first 2-3 months of the year.

If a player follows the same development path but is born in, for example, May, that player gets a big bump.

upload_2020-7-22_6-21-48.png

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
if laf was given stutzles responsibility at the same age he would have looked just as good. the hype is starting to spiral now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad