NHL Entry Draft 2020 NHL Draft Discussion - PART XI [We got 3-5]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Six Assets

Tim Stützle
Jun 29, 2013
Ottawa
Raymond might not be a high character guy based off info from the hockeyprospect black book. Couple quotes from nhl scouts saying he wasn't a good interview. Also stopped trying when he was sent down. Could be a lack of maturity. Also mentioned he isn't at the same level as marner as previously thought.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Nice, Big Player Draft. I'd love to see training camp.
Size was an influencing factor but it wasn't necessarily the primary factor. I looked to draft players that I thought would be well suited for playoff hockey. I wanted high compete levels, the ability to win puck battles and maintain possession, strong commitment to defensive play and the ability to regain possession if it was lost. I had players in mind that I liked so I targeted them and went a bit off the board with a few picks..

Byfield and Sanderson seem like self evident picks at 3 and 5. If I remember correctly Raymond went 4 so it made it easier to take Sanderson. At 21 I went off the board with Khusnutdinov. I did that because pretty much every other player I liked for that pick was drafted. All of Quinn, Amirov, Zary, Holloway, Mercer and Jarvis were gone, Jarvis was actually taken 1 pick before so I would have take him if available. I could have traded back but I liked Khusnutdinov.

At 33 I went with Neighbours, it might be a bit high to take him but I was worried that based on his ranking in the draft simulator that he would be taken. At 49 I went with Ponomaryov because I like his offensive upside. Basically after losing out on some of the 21st overall targets and taking Khusnutdinov and Neighbours earlier then I would have liked I wanted to add a bit more high end skill to my draft lineup.

At 52 I took Nikishin because I like his raw potential and he is one of the few d men after the first round that I think is worth targeting. I didn't want to risk losing him by being to patient. At 55 I took Cuylle because I prefer him over a lot of other big forwards in that range. His physicality is key for me and I didn't see Nick Capone in the list of available players so I didn't think I could get a somewhat comparable player later.

At 64 I took Pytlik, 74 Groshev and at 95 Sokolov. I was surprised to get all three as I thought they would go closer together. The draft simulator also didn't seem to have Dmitri Rashevsky who would be a target of mine within that range. I liked the floor of those three and the possibility that they could be developed into top six players.

At 152 I took Slukynsky, 158 Biondi and 185 Mancini. I am a big fan of Slukynsky and like his upside so I was happy to get him. As stated earlier the draft simulator didn't have Capone or Rashevsky, or a few other prospects I like late in the draft like Rempe and Mandleur. Knowing that those prospects aren't available changes my approach to the draft. With those late picks I only seemed to miss out on Beryozkin, Slaggert and Richels as late round choices that I liked. Biondi is a solid prospect and Mancini has looked good in the clips I saw.

As I was making the picks I noticed that there were a few players that seemed to last a while that I think you would have targeted instead of me. I think Colangelo lasted possibly into the late second round and I think Wiesblatt and Finley lasted until the mid 3rd round or so.

I am pretty confident in the offensive upside in the group I drafted so I am not sure which smaller players I passed on that others would have targeted. I don't remember when Bourque was drafted so he might have either been taken either before 21 or before 33. Jarvis and Raymond were gone before my picks so I didn't pass on them. I took Khusnutdinov and he is on the smaller side. I considered Savoie or Bordeleau in the 2nd round but I would have been more inclined to take them in the 2nd half of the round and they were already gone. Stranges, Wiesblatt and Perrault I could have drafted so an argument could be made that I should have targeted them.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I thought the current average NHL size is like 205 or 200lbs.

And yeah hes heaver than Point, doesn't make him big or average. Hes a small player - it is what it is. I could say hes a below average size hockey player if the word small is sensitive

I literally said a third of the way up, not average, average would be roughly half way. The whole point is size is more than just height, playing weight matters, probably more than height. The ratio matters too, tall isn't worth much if you can't put on muscle.

Would you call Macrus Pettersson in Pittsburgh bigger than Rossi? He's 6'3 but Rossi's got 10 pds on him.

The whole point is his size is being overblown, there's more to size than height but that's all people point to when discussing him. Weight is equally if not more important.
Nobody has ever considered Alfredsson small.

Sure, it's a fine line, he had a whole 2 inches and 13 pounds on 18 year old Rossi, well, unless you were talking about 23 year old rookie Alfredsson, in which case he just had the 2 inches

Daniel-Alfredsson.jpg

Nobody is saying rossi is too small to play in the league. But in my opinion he is too small to be a #1 centre or centre at all. And to me he is not worth a top 5 pick.

So is Jack Hughes too small to be a center at all? He might have an inch on Rossi, but Rossi has the bigger frame to go along with an extra 17 pds. I have my doubts Hischier ever cracks 190, is that ok because he's 6'1?

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
I literally said a third of the way up, not average, average would be roughly half way. The whole point is size is more than just height, playing weight matters, probably more than height. The ratio matters too, tall isn't worth much if you can't put on muscle.

Would you call Macrus Pettersson in Pittsburgh bigger than Rossi? He's 6'3 but Rossi's got 10 pds on him.

The whole point is his size is being overblown, there's more to size than height but that's all people point to when discussing him. Weight is equally if not more important.

Sure, it's a fine line, he had a whole 2 inches and 13 pounds on 18 year old Rossi, well, unless you were talking about 23 year old rookie Alfredsson, in which case he just had the 2 inches

Daniel-Alfredsson.jpg

So is Jack Hughes too small to be a center at all? He might have an inch on Rossi, but Rossi has the bigger frame to go along with an extra 17 pds. I have my doubts Hischier ever cracks 190, is that ok because he's 6'1?
I’m not a Jack Hughes fan and I thought he wasn’t ready for the nhl and would have to move to wing eventually. Yes Hischier at 6’1 has a big advantage over a 5’9 player regardless of weight. Even a 5’11 player is a big difference from a 5’9 player. It’s the difference between Crosby and Conacher

You can ignore facts and trends if you wish, we’ll see who is right in a few years. I hope Rossi is a star, nothing against him at all. You just can’t ignore the risk.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016

Daniel-Alfredsson.jpg

And hes 5 foot 9 and weighs 185lbs. Hes small.

I fully understand your point, no need to clarify it. Discussing other small/skinny/weak players doesnt change the fact. I get you see Rossi can be strong for his size - I'm totally fine with that and in happy you can provide those insights to his game. But he is small, and doesnt have elite skating - those things seem to be slightly knocking his draft ranking. Are they justifiable? I donno

Sens in Process

Oct 1, 2012
And he weighs 185lbs. Hes small.

I fully understand your point, no need to clarify it. Discussing other small/skinny/weak players doesnt change the fact. I get you see Rossi can be strong for his size - I'm totally fine with that and in happy you can provide those insights to his game. But he is small.

He is small and lacks explosive skating. I think this is really the issue and represents a significant risk.

Reactions: Cosmix

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
He is small and lacks explosive skating. I think this is really the issue and represents a significant risk.

Yeah that's my concern, the combo of his size and skating is pretty lackluster...I'd like a small guy to have lighting speed and agility.

Like I've said I find him the most interesting prospect to evaluate and I'm really interested to see what he becomes in the NHL. You see some weaknesses or "risks" but puts up 120 damn points in junior. That's pretty remarkable

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Dale Hunter - one of my fav player, was playing at 5.9 195lbs in his first years. Nobody said he was small.

To be fair here as well, things have changed quite bit since Dale Hunter was an NHL player.

On average, players have gotten bigger and quicker.

That being said, I'm fine with picking a player of Rossi's stature. It just means that if you want him to be a difference-maker, you are going to need to play him with bigger guys if he is to be as effective as he could be.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
There are 5 players I’d be fine with, outside of the top 3, at 5 and he isn’t among those.

Doesn’t matter what I feel, if we take him, I’ll trust them, though will be skeptical.

Perfetti Raymond Rossi Drysdale Sanderson?

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Raymond might not be a high character guy based off info from the hockeyprospect black book. Couple quotes from nhl scouts saying he wasn't a good interview. Also stopped trying when he was sent down. Could be a lack of maturity. Also mentioned he isn't at the same level as marner as previously thought.
Which scouts previously thought that lol.

Also did you buy the black book?

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
I like your 1st round
Would not take Shakir .. in the 2nd round; I'd probably avoid him all together
Pytlik ok not in the 2nd for me
Peterson .. definitely be looking at other options but he has some nice raw tools
Coe is a good pick at 95 - he will go earlier
Cardwell is a good pick at 152 - he will go earlier
Biondi - why not as a flyer
Levi .. I guess I probably would not draft a goalie but if you want one 185 is a good spot.

Just did one for fun
3. Stutzle C/LW
5. Raymond RW/LW
21. Jarvis RW
33. Khusnutdinov C - check him out if you don't know him; Pageau on steroids
49. Grans RD
52. Colangelo RW Big Power forward on the right side. Good bookend for Tkachuk that can play .
55. Jarventie LW Big bodied raw , young aug 02, Can score
64. Weisblatt RW First round talent.. Can drive a line
74. Ovchinnikov LW very quick playmaker good skills
95. Robins C - way underrated in a lot of places.. snarly , good offense . reminds me of Gallagher
152. Krutil RD -- No idea big bodied 2 way RD .. flyer
158 Glotzl LD -- No idea big bodied 2 way LD flyer .. teams will dread when Krutil and Glotzl come to town
185 Trineyev RW -- 6'3 March 02 bd, Power forward out of the MHL .. never saw him..

Crazy amount of picks.

I like the sound of the bolded part. I am all for adding more pests. Sounds like a prospect I need to take a closer look at.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

Daniel-Alfredsson.jpg

My scorching hot take here is that rossi ends up better than Hughes. I’m not Jacks biggest fan. He’s alright.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I’m not a Jack Hughes fan and I thought he wasn’t ready for the nhl and would have to move to wing eventually. Yes Hischier at 6’1 has a big advantage over a 5’9 player regardless of weight. Even a 5’11 player is a big difference from a 5’9 player. It’s the difference between Crosby and Conacher

You can ignore facts and trends if you wish, we’ll see who is right in a few years. I hope Rossi is a star, nothing against him at all. You just can’t ignore the risk.

The difference between Conacher and Crosby is 3 inches and 20 pds, along with a mountain of talent. The part that's the most important though is that mountain of talent. Rossi happens to have that last bit too, that's truly the rare bit, being 6' tall is common, it's the talent that's rare.

The reason there is a trend against shorter players is statistically it is rare to be that short but still have the frame to add the needed muscle to compete while maintaining the agility to be effective. Rossi is an excellent skater, he isn't a burner or a water bug like typical small players but his skating is a strength none the less. His agility isn't compromised because he has a big frame despite being relatively short. If there was a trend of short players that were in the top 15 all time pts per game as 18 years olds in the OHL busting, I guess I might be worried, but since him and Kane are the only ones to do that regardless of height in the last 15 years, I think it's all good.

Six Assets

Tim Stützle
Jun 29, 2013
Ottawa
Which scouts previously thought that lol.

Also did you buy the black book?
“At the Hlinka in Edmonton he reminded me of Marner but those days have passed. He is not in that league.” - NHL Scout, January 2020

“In Edmonton I saw flashes of Mitch Marner but Raymond’s development has stalled. He’s nothing like Marner now. Skating and drive are both way behind Marner.” - NHL Scout, January 2020

Yes bought the book

Last edited:
Reactions: RAFI BOMB

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Not good. It would be a huge waste of a golden opportunity with better picks available.

I like Quinn, but Drysdale Raymond and Perfetti are too good to pass on imo. I'd also personally take Sanderson and Rossi over Quinn but that's much closer, maybe Holtz too. there is a lot of really good talent in the top 10 this year, and while I think Quinn is part of that, I don't see him as top 5, he gets my interest around 7 or 8 at the highest.

Reactions: Cosmix

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Do you have a preference?

Like it shouldn't be the case but if the Sens dont see Stutzle as a center and get him I think id prefer Rossi/Perfetti. If we get Byfield I'd want Raymond or Sanderson/Drysdale lol
If Stutzle can’t play centre in the league, then Perfetti has no shot at playing centre.

Reactions: DJB and Liver King

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
What would the feeling be here if the Sens took Quinn at 5?
I’d be fine. I’d prefer Raymond but Drysdale, Quinn, Perfetti or Sanderson would be fine if they feel they got their guy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad