NHL Entry Draft 2020 NHL Draft Discussion - PART XI [We got 3-5]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Pretty much my perfect first 6 picks and I love the Wiesblatt and Robins picks at those spots.

That draft and what we have competes for a cup 5-6 years down the line.

Not to be a party pooper but we need way, way more than one good draft. The damage done when going scorched earth is considerable, especially when we got not a whole lot for Stone or Duchene

That and sometimes you do everything right and you still fall short on a consistent basis (the early 00's for this franchise being a great example).

Last edited:

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
Dale Hunter - one of my fav player, was playing at 5.9 195lbs in his first years. Nobody said he was small.

I'm saying Rossi is small because he objectively is at the bottom end of the average hockey plays size. It's really not much of an argument.

Strong vs weak isn't the same as big vs small. If people wanna say his lack of size wont be as much of an issue due to his strength, sure that's fine and I'm curious to see that at the NHL level.

Marchand and Point are small but they are both elite hockey players

But his size and speed is clearly a factor in his draft rating which was basically my orginally point. His raw skills are less apparent than some other prospects which makes him harder to evaluate imo

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I cant believe someone emoloyed by the NHL would base an evaluation of a player on such a small sample size.

He could be trying to plant a seed of doubt knowing the quote will get out there, having said that, just to play devils advocate, I'm not sure how small a sample he's going off of, is it just the WJC? Is it the WJC and Hlinka? Is is the superseries too? Does it go back to his under 17 WJC the year before? OHL Playoffs from the prior season? That's 27 games if you take it all, then there's 109 reg season games over the same period, is 20% of all the games he played over the last two years too small of a sample?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
He could be trying to plant a seed of doubt knowing the quote will get out there, having said that, just to play devils advocate, I'm not sure how small a sample he's going off of, is it just the WJC? Is it the WJC and Hlinka? Is is the superseries too? Does it go back to his under 17 WJC the year before? OHL Playoffs from the prior season? That's 27 games if you take it all, then there's 109 reg season games over the same period, is 20% of all the games he played over the last two years too small of a sample?
Who are we talking about? NHL and player

I tried to find it. Is there a way to link back to a post?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I'm saying Rossi is small because he objectively is at the bottom end of the average hockey plays size. It's really not much of an argument.

Strong vs weak isn't the same as big vs small. If people wanna say his lack of size wont be as much of an issue due to his strength, sure that's fine and I'm curious to see that at the NHL level.

But his size and speed is clearly a factor in his draft rating which was basically my orginally point. His raw skills are less apparent than some other prospects which makes him harder to evaluate imo

He's at the bottom end in height, but about a third of the way up compared to current NHL players in weight and will likely add a few pounds before he gets to the NHL. He's an inch shorter than Point, but objectively much bigger having 21 pds on him.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

So I guess Rossi, Raymond and Perfetti are out for you.. or are you going with one of those monsters.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
He's at the bottom end in height, but about a third of the way up compared to current NHL players in weight and will likely add a few pounds before he gets to the NHL. He's an inch shorter than Point, but objectively much bigger having 21 pds on him.

I thought the current average NHL size is like 205 or 200lbs.

And yeah hes heaver than Point, doesn't make him big or average. Hes a small player - it is what it is. I could say hes a below average size hockey player if the word small is sensitive

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
So I guess Rossi, Raymond and Perfetti are out for you.. or are you going with one of those monsters.

I never said he was out, im saying hes factually small. So are Raymond and Perfetti

I'd be happy with anyone of them at 5.

At 5 I want one of Raymond Rossi Perfetti Sanderson and Drysdale

With Raymond the speed is so apparent, Perfetti sucks at skating but has amazing hands and that elite shot..and Rossi has that crazy vision and IQ

I just find Rossi harder to evaluate personally. I have no idea who's gonna be the best player out of them

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I never said he was out, im saying hes factually small. So are Raymond and Perfetti

I'd be happy with anyone of them at 5.

At 5 I want one of Raymond Rossi Perfetti Sanderson and Drysdale

With Raymond the speed is so apparent, Perfetti suxks at skating but has amazing hands and that elite shot..and Rossi has that crazy vision and IQ

Preetty much the same here.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
The draftsim thing is fun, but I wish they'd update it to reflect McKenzie's rankings. Make it a little more realistic.

Anyway, here's what I came up with. I tried to draft the way I expect the Sens to draft - avoid Europe as much as possible. Avoid undersized players as much as possible. Moving away from 'risky' high skill types, especially in the later rounds. Slight tendency to draft older players.

3 - Tim Stützle 6'0, 187 [C/LW]
5 - Jamie Drysdale 5'11 170 [RD]
21 - Dawson Mercer 6'0 179 [RW]
33 - Mavrik Bourque 5'10 165 [C]
49 - Ridly Greig 5'11 159 [LW]
52 - Helge Grans 6'3 192 [RD]
55 - Sam Colangelo 6'2 205 [RW]
64 - Tyler Kleven 6'4 201 [LD]
74 - Will Cuylle 6'2 201 [LW]
95 - Nico Daws 6'4 203 [G]
152 - Alex Cotton 6'2 183 [RD]
158 - Owen Pederson 6'3 187 [LW]
185 - Carsen Richels 6'3 209 [RW]

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Do you have a preference?

Like it shouldn't be the case but if the Sens dont see Stutzle as a center and get him I think id prefer Rossi/Perfetti. If we get Byfield I'd want Raymond or Sanderson/Drysdale lol

I think I'd go with Rossi but , my problem is I like them all for what they are and think they all have great potential. I would go Drysdale over Sanderson but that is close as well. I want them to draft a forward there. One of Rossi/Raymond/Perfetti would be fine by me regardless of who we take at 3.

Between the 3 forwards .. size is not a factor , and if it is we I have to think Rossi's build works in his favor in the group of 3.
I think Perfetti could likely QB a NHL powerplay from the half wall now. I think he is the best shooter of the 3 as well. He is not a burner but I don't think that derails him at all.
I like Rossi's 3 zone game, his motor, commitment, his IQ and skills combo. probably the most NHL ready. High floor imo.
Raymond is excellent and dynamic, quick vs fast, makes plays and scores. Also has a good 2 way game.
Truly any of the 3 would be great to add.

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
Imagine how fast he could be without those pounds!

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
I think I'd go with Rossi but , my problem is I like them all for what they are and think they all have great potential. I would go Drysdale over Sanderson but that is close as well. I want them to draft a forward there. One of Rossi/Raymond/Perfetti would be fine by me regardless of who we take at 3.

Between the 3 forwards .. size is not a factor , and if it is we I have to think Rossi's build works in his favor in the group of 3.
I think Perfetti could likely QB a NHL powerplay from the half wall now. I think he is the best shooter of the 3 as well. He is not a burner but I don't think that derails him at all.
I like Rossi's 3 zone game, his motor, commitment, his IQ and skills combo. probably the most NHL ready. High floor imo.
Raymond is excellent and dynamic, quick vs fast, makes plays and scores. Also has a good 2 way game.
Truly any of the 3 would be great to add.

I think I have a preference for two forward as well.

Like if we leave the drafted with two of Byfield Stutzle Raymomd Rossi Perfetti our top 6 is gonna be amazing in a couple years.

It's true though how I like them all but they play very different styles/bring different things to the table. Im sure our scouts will get it right

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
Rossi makes me think of guys like Daniel Briere and Marty St. Louis and yes, our own Daniel Alfredsson.. smaller guys with powerful lower bodies. Derek Roy is another example.

Ryan Shannon played with the Sens in 2010 and while he had great hands and speed, he truly was too small for the NHL game.

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
Anybody interested in Holtz at 5? Something about that guy makes me not want to pass on him.

I'd be thrilled with a lot of different players available there, but they're all so small and not exceptionally speedy for the most part. This guy is decent sized and does what every team needs - puts the puck in the net. Could see him getting 40 some day

Reactions: angrydad

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Anybody interested in Holtz at 5? Something about that guy makes me not want to pass on him.

I'd be thrilled with a lot of different players available there, but they're all so small and not exceptionally speedy for the most part. This guy is decent sized and does what every team needs - puts the puck in the net. Could see him getting 40 some day
If LA take Stutzle, I would do Raymond at 3 and Holtz at five

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Rossi makes me think of guys like Daniel Briere and Marty St. Louis and yes, our own Daniel Alfredsson.. smaller guys with powerful lower bodies. Derek Roy is another example.

Ryan Shannon played with the Sens in 2010 and while he had great hands and speed, he truly was too small for the NHL game.
Nobody is saying rossi is too small to play in the league. But in my opinion he is too small to be a #1 centre or centre at all. And to me he is not worth a top 5 pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad