NHL Entry Draft 2020 NHL Draft Discussion - PART XI [We got 3-5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 10, 2010
Kinda prefer Stutzle over Byfield based on looking at video? Interesting to see more and more mocks have him going 2nd.

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
The Five Nations isn’t exactly the best of the competition, I’d even put it under the Hilinka Gretzky Cup and definitely under the WJC U18 which Drysdale played in last year as a 16 year old.

Evaluating Sanderson from 4 games this year at the five nations while Drysdale played better competition last year and this year isn’t telling the whole story.

Ok but you left out the rest of my post. I've seen him a bunch at various different levels. It's the totality of the various styles and situations he is able to adapt to and excell under that puts him at least in the top five conversation for me. By the way, I'm still not saying he's top five or he's a better prospect than Drysdale. I believe I had him 7th, but I'm still undecided. After the top four I find it almost impossible to decide between Sanderson, Holtz, Drysdale.

Reactions: aragorn

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I am already in the mindset that we are getting Byfield and Drysdale and have already began imagining the lineup in 2 years time.

Tkachuk - Byfield - Batherson
Formenton - Norris - Duclair
Balcers - L.Brown - White
Paul- Chlapik - Brown

Chabot - Drysdale
Braanstrom - JBD
Wolanin - Thomson
Byfield drysdale is best case scenario for media hype. They’re both going to massacre their junior leagues next year and they’re enough going to be number C and D on Canada at the wjc. Sens will be a massive talking point.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Probably getting way ahead of myself, but one reason I'm hesitant to draft Drysale is because next years top 5/10 seems pretty defense heavy. Top end offense is key to winning the Cup and it remains to be seen as to whether or not Tkachuk/Norris/Batherson can be top end threats.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
People are underestimating what Drysdale did at the wjc as a 17 year old as a dman. I would argue that watching every one of Canada’s games that he was their best dman beating out guys like Byram who didn’t impress me at all.

This dude at next years wjc is gonna have a Chabot like tournament while doing it in his 18 year old year (Chabot was 19).

Reactions: DJB

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I'm wondering if anyone has any intel on who the Sens would draft if they had the #2 pick. Do they have a strong preference for either Byfield or Stutzle?

All that has really been said, is that the Senators were hoping for a top 3 pick in a worst case scenario, because that's where Dorion sees one of the dropoffs. (The first drop off being after 1).

Shortly after the draft, Garrioch basically established that if you go by TSN's rankings, Stutzle would be the Senators worst case scenario, and he knows they'd be thrilled with Stutzle. So I basically took that as they like both players a lot.

They obviously must have a preference internally, but I doubt it will come out before the draft.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
I think getting the top Dman would be a good idea - although I dont know if that's Drysdale or Sanderson.

We have another 1st round pick, with a forward heavy group, so maybe we can land another top6 that way as well.

Also we gotta make hockey deals for guys like Tierney and have a bunch of picks and prospects we could trade. With 3ova we got a top 9 like:

Tkachuk Byfield Batherson
Formenton Norris Brown
Duclair Brown White

We just need a top 6 forward that can bump a guy like Brown to the 4th line. Duke can play RW too. However if we do go for a forward at 5 one of Raymond Perfetti Quinn..ect can round out a really nice top 9

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
True, but it’s still worrisome. Melnyk is basically in survival mode and is trying to cut corners to win a cup in a short time period. It wouldn’t surprise me if he tells Dorion to offer some ridiculous package.

He might be banking on the name value of Lafreniere to help market the team for a sale. If there are interested buyers, who plan on relocating the team to downtown Ottawa, having what would possibly be the biggest French Canadian star in the league would be a massive marketing acquisition. Gatineau and Orleans are much closer to downtown Ottawa than Kanata.

As much as I dislike contenders possibly getting the 1st overall pick, the format chosen by the NHL will help the Senators if they want to trade up to #1.

The best case scenario might be Toronto winning the #1 pick. Toronto just can't fit in another 10 million dollar forward, and they are badly going to need to fill roster spots on the cheap next season. Historically, 3+5 for 1 is a bad trade for the team trading away 1, but for Toronto or Pittsburgh or Edmonton, adding Byfield or Stutzle and possibly Drysdale, who will all play on their team for the next 3 seasons while on their ELCs might be more valuable than adding Lafreniere alone.

It doesn't have to be 3+5. Ottawa has pieces like Brannstrom, who if Toronto has a positive evaluation on him, would solve the same problem. ELC/expansion exempt NHL ready player with star potential.

Most teams who get #1 aren't going to trade it at all. Even for 3+5. So the Senators would need to hope that a team with cap issues that is trying to contend wins the pick.

Reactions: derriko

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
People are underestimating what Drysdale did at the wjc as a 17 year old as a dman. I would argue that watching every one of Canada’s games that he was their best dman beating out guys like Byram who didn’t impress me at all.

This dude at next years wjc is gonna have a Chabot like tournament while doing it in his 18 year old year (Chabot was 19).

That's quite the projection. I don't think you should ever have that type of expectation for a player. Drysdale had a good tournament and is a good talent but it's not as if that type of play translated to Erie.

Blarginator

Mar 24, 2010
He might be banking on the name value of Lafreniere to help market the team for a sale. If there are interested buyers, who plan on relocating the team to downtown Ottawa, having what would possibly be the biggest French Canadian star in the league would be a massive marketing acquisition. Gatineau and Orleans are much closer to downtown Ottawa than Kanata.

As much as I dislike contenders possibly getting the 1st overall pick, the format chosen by the NHL will help the Senators if they want to trade up to #1.

The best case scenario might be Toronto winning the #1 pick. Toronto just can't fit in another 10 million dollar forward, and they are badly going to need to fill roster spots on the cheap next season. Historically, 3+5 for 1 is a bad trade for the team trading away 1, but for Toronto or Pittsburgh or Edmonton, adding Byfield or Stutzle and possibly Drysdale, who will all play on their team for the next 3 seasons while on their ELCs might be more valuable than adding Lafreniere alone.

It doesn't have to be 3+5. Ottawa has pieces like Brannstrom, who if Toronto has a positive evaluation on him, would solve the same problem. ELC/expansion exempt NHL ready player with star potential.

Most teams who get #1 aren't going to trade it at all. Even for 3+5. So the Senators would need to hope that a team with cap issues that is trying to contend wins the pick.
Might just be me but I'm totally against the idea of doing 3+5 for #1. We had a shot at it but we didn't get it so we should let it go if that's the asking price. Lafrenière would be incredible to have but not at the expense of our future star center + top pair defenseman/top line forward. I may be way off base with my player evaluation here but I don't think it's worth it at all.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I think getting the top Dman would be a good idea - although I dont know if that's Drysdale or Sanderson.

We have another 1st round pick, with a forward heavy group, so maybe we can land another top6 that way as well.

Also we gotta make hockey deals for guys like Tierney and have a bunch of picks and prospects we could trade. With 3ova we got a top 9 like:

Tkachuk Byfield Batherson
Formenton Norris Brown
Duclair Brown White

We just need a top 6 forward that can bump a guy like Brown to the 4th line. Duke can play RW too. However if we do go for a forward at 5 one of Raymond Perfetti Quinn..ect can round out a really nice top 9
Your projected top 9 shows why we need to go forward if possible.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Might just be me but I'm totally against the idea of doing 3+5 for #1. We had a shot at it but we didn't get it so we should let it go if that's the asking price. Lafrenière would be incredible to have but not at the expense of our future star center + top pair defenseman/top line forward. I may be way off base with my player evaluation here but I don't think it's worth it at all.

If you look at recent comparisons of #1 vs the types of players available at 3-5, it paints a pretty clear picture that #1 is generally better. Obviously, there are years where #1 wasn't better.

Of course, that's with knowing how a lot of these players have panned out. I don't watch enough of these guys before the draft to know whether this year it's a bad idea just based on the strength of the top 5 in relation to Lafreniere. Just judging using historical generalizations, the person who would get #1 more than often would get the better end of that deal.

It's why I think it would take a unique team winning #1 for that to even be considered. It would have to either be a scenario where a team doesn't have Lafreniere leaps and bounds ahead of the two prospects they have behind him, or it would have to be a team who has major cap issues and would value being able to fill multiple roster spots with high end ELC talent at the expense of Lafreniere.

Reactions: Blarginator

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018

Exactly what I think. Probably Desmarais told to Melnyk, if we land Lafrenière I upload my offer

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
3+5 for Lafreneire would be a big overpayment. Not nearly enough of a difference in upside between Lafreniere and Stutzle/Byfield to justify giving up another top 5 pick.

I'd probably do 3+21, but even 3+13 (if Isles lose their play-in series) would probably be an overpayment.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Trading 3 and 5 when there's a centre available and not getting a centre in return would be the most backwards move we can make.

I have no doubt Melnyk will push for it for ticket sales and the marketability of Laf.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Ok but you left out the rest of my post. I've seen him a bunch at various different levels. It's the totality of the various styles and situations he is able to adapt to and excell under that puts him at least in the top five conversation for me. By the way, I'm still not saying he's top five or he's a better prospect than Drysdale. I believe I had him 7th, but I'm still undecided. After the top four I find it almost impossible to decide between Sanderson, Holtz, Drysdale.

I think Holtz might be going higher than people think. The fact that he was able to make that jump to the SHL more efficiently than Raymond has some value and I wouldn't be surprised if some teams had him over Raymond in this draft. Good powerful skating, amazing motor, elite shot, good vision, he's a pretty complete player and he was without a doubt better than Raymond especially in the 2nd half of the season and Raymond had a much harder time to adjust to the physicality. In that respect, it's harder to evaluate Raymond because he wasn't playing that much and even though the elite skill was shining through he could go games without really making an impact from what I can tell and been hearing. That's not to say that Raymond won't be better in the long run, I think there's a good probability of that, but Holtz is a guy that can likely make that jump sooner and already has the maturity in his game that translates well to the NHL. I wouldn't be mad at all of grabbing a guy like Holtz, I think he can have a similar impact to Raymond but in a different way and in a sense I think he fits our team motto and playing style better than Raymond.

True and legitimate snipers are rare and hard to find, especially when they are well rounded in other parts of their game making them elite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad