NHL Entry Draft 2020 NHL Draft Discussion - PART XI [We got 3-5]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
I'm wondering if anyone has any intel on who the Sens would draft if they had the #2 pick. Do they have a strong preference for either Byfield or Stutzle?

Well Dorion was asked post lottery about Stutzle and Byfield, and he seemed really hyped up about Byfield. Noticeably more than Stutzle.

Not a guarantee but take that as you will.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
I’m completely indifferent with who we take at 3 as long as it’s one of Stutzle or Byfield.

#5 is where I have my preferences, but ultimately will be fine with whoever we take.

With the way the player tiers are settling into place we did better than initial disappointment would indicate.

We're guaranteed a tier 2 player, and an early shot at a tier 3 guy. Considering we were always in tough to get that #1 spot, I'm pretty ok with how it ended up.

Reactions: derriko

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I just read an article that said Melnyk said to Dorion to do everything he can to trade for Lafrenière. Yessir
Everything he can? Within a sane mind I hope.
Otherwise we’re talking 3,5,top player?

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
They'd be dumb to take anybody but Byfield at 2, he's closer to 1 than 3
Not sure about that. Too hard to predict imo. I could see Byfield sliding to 5 or past even. Not saying it’s likely at all but I wouldn’t be shocked

Reactions: derriko

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Ottawa semble se préparer à mettre la main sur le premier choix

lol

I’m using a translator, but I don’t see anything about Melnyk telling Dorion to do everything he can, but I wouldn’t be surprised.

They should really just stand pat and try to get a #1 centre.

Quelles sont ses options? Ne rien faire… ou être dans l’action et tenter de remédier à la situation.
C’est visiblement une option qui est de plus en plus réaliste. Selon ce qui circule, les Sénateurs pourraient mettre leurs deux premiers choix sur la table afin de tenter de mettre la main sur le premier choix au total. C’est ce qu’affirme une source de l’entourage du proprio Melnyk.

It is obviously an option which is more and more realistic. Depending on what is going on, the Senators could put their first two choices on the table in an attempt to get their hands on the first choice in total. This is what a source close to the owner Melnyk says.

It does not say Melnyk told Dorion to do this. He says a source close to Melnyk says its an option. Woopdedo we know its an option

Reactions: Icelevel

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Quelles sont ses options? Ne rien faire… ou être dans l’action et tenter de remédier à la situation.
C’est visiblement une option qui est de plus en plus réaliste. Selon ce qui circule, les Sénateurs pourraient mettre leurs deux premiers choix sur la table afin de tenter de mettre la main sur le premier choix au total. C’est ce qu’affirme une source de l’entourage du proprio Melnyk.

It is obviously an option which is more and more realistic. Depending on what is going on, the Senators could put their first two choices on the table in an attempt to get their hands on the first choice in total. This is what a source close to the owner Melnyk says.

It does not say Melnyk told Dorion to do this. He says a source close to Melnyk says its an option. Woopdedo we know its an option
True, but it’s still worrisome. Melnyk is basically in survival mode and is trying to cut corners to win a cup in a short time period. It wouldn’t surprise me if he tells Dorion to offer some ridiculous package.

Reactions: Crosside

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
I watched as much tape as I could find and Drysdale easily the better transition player and more fluid player up ice. He has the puck a lot. Drysdale plays like Keith or Josi. IQ beasts who read the play through positioning and composure.

Sanderson though is more cerebral but incredibly efficient when he does have it. Sanderson is like a cross between Doughty and Jovanovski for me; closer to the latter. Defensive first guys who have a lot of offensive tools when necessary and excellent skaters.

I been watching a lot of tape almost all of today too and Rossi definitely ahead of Perfetti. Perfetti will be a winger in the NHL level. He plays smaller than Rossi so that’ll have to change if he wants to be a Kucherov instead of a Comrie/Stillman.

Raymond is most franchise calibre player, imo, after the top 3. He does everything stupendously well. He’s also a big time performer in the clutch. Getting really outmuscled in the SHL this year is why he’s not battling Stutzle and Byfield for 2nd overall.

If anyone has more tape of any of these guys that I can watch please sent it my way.

I don't exactly disagree with you, but "transition" on a whole is a huge part of the game that entails a variety of different components.

I've said this a couple times before but the way I see it, with Drysdale's agility and creativity, he's better at escaping danger and exiting his own zone. He and Mukhamadullin to me are the best defensemen in the draft at releasing pressure. But Drysdale has that added component of elite skating to carry the puck out of the zone.

But from what I've seen (15+ games from Sanderson, ~10 from Drysdale including WJC), Sanderson is better carrying the puck through the neutral zone. He doesn't have Drysdale's edges or stickhandling, but he's such a powerful skater and to my eye his ability to use his skating deceptively at full speed is by far the best in the draft among defensemen.

I wish I could hook you up with more tape on Sanderson, but a lot of what I watched from him was either from "prospectshifts" which has since shut down, or from hockeytv while they had a free promo period.

The thing with Sanderson is I've seen him play drastically different styles depending whether he's playing against USHL teams (high flying offensive dynamo), NCAA teams (extremely safe and unexciting) or internationally (somewhere in between, but leans to the safe side).

The spring U18 Five Nations is here: 2020 U18 Five Nations - Chomutov, Czech Republic

I've been one of the biggest Sanderson fans from early on. I had him at 12 in December and everyone thought I was insane. But the Five Nations was the first time I started to wonder if he might actually be better than Drysdale. It's pretty much a dead heat right now in my mind.

Reactions: derriko and HzH

Dan10900

May 10, 2020
For a team that is willing to be patient and let players develop, sure. I think we want someone who can’t play next year for marketing purposes and that’s Stutzle.
If the season doesn't start til like Jan, and Byfield gets those extra few months of development, I would not be surprised to see him make the NHL out of camp

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
So if we had won against LA in that last game would we have gotten picks 2 and 3 (assuming everything else stays as it was)?

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
So if we had won against LA in that last game would we have gotten picks 2 and 3 (assuming everything else stays as it was)?

That's assuming the numbers who was drawn are given to a certain team depending on were they finish.

In the end, LA Kings could have had the 4 numbers combinaison that gave them the 2nd overall pick.

In short, i don't think so. But that's a legit question.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
What’s everyone’s best case scenario for islanders pick ? I mean besides a trade up to 11 for your favorite falling prospect. I’m talking about that 3rd and 4th tier of guys like Jarvis forester gunler holloway guhle perrault etc.

I really like Holloway and think he’s a dorion type player.
Zary, Gunler, Amirov, Jarvis or Guhle

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
I am already in the mindset that we are getting Byfield and Drysdale and have already began imagining the lineup in 2 years time.

Tkachuk - Byfield - Batherson
Formenton - Norris - Duclair
Balcers - L.Brown - White
Paul- Chlapik - Brown

Chabot - Drysdale
Braanstrom - JBD
Wolanin - Thomson

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
I've been one of the biggest Sanderson fans from early on. I had him at 12 in December and everyone thought I was insane. But the Five Nations was the first time I started to wonder if he might actually be better than Drysdale. It's pretty much a dead heat right now in my mind.
The Five Nations isn’t exactly the best of the competition, I’d even put it under the Hilinka Gretzky Cup and definitely under the WJC U18 which Drysdale played in last year as a 16 year old.

Evaluating Sanderson from 4 games this year at the five nations while Drysdale played better competition last year and this year isn’t telling the whole story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad