NHL Entry Draft 2020 NHL Draft Discussion - PART XI [We got 3-5]

Status
Not open for further replies.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Pretty much the way I see it, but I could see the Sens going Askarov, Sanderson, Holtz, Quinn, Raymond, Perfetti or Rossi at 5th OA or anyone of the top 4, if they fall. IMO it's wide open as to who they take 5th OA.

I also think that they should go defence at 21st & 33rd OA to secure two very good defencemen, if they haven't secured either Drysdale or Sanderson with the 5th. I agree with the write that good defencemen don't come around very often & Ottawa could grab two to four good ones in this draft alone.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Pretty much the way I see it, but I could see the Sens going Askarov, Sanderson, Holtz, Quinn, Raymond, Perfetti or Rossi at 5th OA or anyone of the top 4, if they fall. IMO it's wide open as to who they take 5th OA.

I also think that they should go defence at 21st & 33rd OA to secure two very good defencemen, if they haven't secured either Drysdale or Sanderson with the 5th. I agree with the write that good defencemen don't come around very often & Ottawa could grab two to four good ones in this draft alone.
So you definitely think we will be picking a player a 5

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Nevalainen: 2020 Mock Draft

3. Stutzle -- BPA
5. Drysdale -- Good pick. Not going to quibble
21. Zary -- Don't mind it. I probably would have gone Gunler there.
33. Neighbours -- Ok pick. nice size ok skating good shot. I like Marat Khusnutdinov or Ozzy Weisblatt better than any of the guys in between them and Neighbours
46, Cormier -- nice player ..small offensive D.. I'd prefer a few.. I would take a shot at the bigger faster Jurmo; A6'4 LD with great wheels and puck handling..
52. Sourdiff -- I would go Jarventie; A bigger goal scoring LW with lots of upside
55. Commesso -- Goalie. Nah.. not for me. I'll take Jack Finley or Torgersson there
64. Coe -- I like this pick there
74. Powell -- not a bad pick, I would have gone Groshev or Chromiak or Heineman there.

--------------------------------------
Stutzle
Drysdale
Gunler
Khusnutdinov
Jurmo
Jarventie
Finley
Coe
Groshev
I like Evangelista and Jarventie at 46 and 52. I would take a flyer on Pashin at 74, very small but so skilled.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Elite prospects now ranked mavrik bourque 12 and stutzle 8

Stutzle at 8?

Shaq-Laughing-SB-Nation.gif

If Stutzle somehow doesn't get picked top 3, he will absolutely get picked by Detroit considering it is known that Yzerman likes Stutzle.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Stutzle at 8?

Shaq-Laughing-SB-Nation.gif

If Stutzle somehow doesn't get picked top 3, he will absolutely get picked by Detroit considering it is known that Yzerman likes Stutzle.
It’s not a mock. It’s a ranking

Also. You would be surprised how many of the euro focused writers and viewers don’t have stutzle in their top 3. Not even their top 5.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I'm curious. Is there some consistent criticism of a particular part of Stutzle's game coming from these writers?
From what I’ve read it’s hockey sense. (Not that’s it’s

bad just not good enough to rise as high as he has.). He’s risen on all their rankings. From mid-teens to the 5-8 range. But for nhl scouts it seems from the start of the season to the end of the wjc it took him from teens to 2. Which I think all of the people that watch him more regularly are a bit wary of.

and I’m wary of it too. I mean in five games he had 5 assists. Most if not all on the PP. (and I’m not knocking that I don’t think a 7 game tourney should make or break anything). It’s just it seems a couple sound bites from Gord Miller and Ray Ferraro are carrying a ton of water.

also I’ve read that his second half of the season was not as great as is his first half.

Again these guys don’t think he’s bad. He has risen on all their lists. Just not to 2.

Reactions: Ed Wood

Emerica

May 29, 2010
I'm curious. Is there some consistent criticism of a particular part of Stutzle's game coming from these writers?
I don't know who those euro writers are but probably that he can be a bit of a puck hog and tries to do to much at times. Also does not have the greatest of shots but it's adequate in my opinion. Most of my viewings of him were at the WJC so I try to keep in mind that he wasn't exactly surrounded by a lot of talent (I know JJ Peterka and Reichel but still) especially when going against stronger teams so it would make sense he would try to create more on his own and in turn force more plays.

Honestly, if that's the biggest negative in his game I'll take that 10 times out of 10. It's much easier for me to forgive a player that is trying to create plays (think Karlsson, Spezza, etc.) than to forgive players who literally bring nothing to the table (think Ceci, etc.).

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
From what I’ve read it’s hockey sense. (Not that’s it’s

bad just not good enough to rise as high as he has.). He’s risen on all their rankings. From mid-teens to the 5-8 range. But for nhl scouts it seems from the start of the season to the end of the wjc it took him from teens to 2. Which I think all of the people that watch him more regularly are a bit wary of.

and I’m wary of it too. I mean in five games he had 5 assists. Most if not all on the PP. (and I’m not knocking that I don’t think a 7 game tourney should make or break anything). It’s just it seems a couple sound bites from Gord Miller and Ray Ferraro are carrying a ton of water.

also I’ve read that his second half of the season was not as great as is his first half.

Again these guys don’t think he’s bad. He has risen on all their lists. Just not to 2.
It’s why Byfield is clearly the better pick for me. Stutzle is a great player but he’s been overhyped especially because there is a bit of a euro bias I’ve seen

Reactions: Samsquanch

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I don't know who those euro writers are but probably that he can be a bit of a puck hog and tries to do to much at times. Also does not have the greatest of shots but it's adequate in my opinion. Most of my viewings of him were at the WJC so I try to keep in mind that he wasn't exactly surrounded by a lot of talent (I know JJ Peterka and Reichel but still) especially when going against stronger teams so it would make sense he would try to create more on his own and in turn force more plays.

Honestly, if that's the biggest negative in his game I'll take that 10 times out of 10. It's much easier for me to forgive a player that is trying to create plays (think Karlsson, Spezza, etc.) than to forgive players who literally bring nothing to the table (think Ceci, etc.).
No not puck hogging
But it also works both ways.aybe they don’t see as much of byfield as the NA guys. The euro guys I follow say byfield is waaaaaay closer to lafraniere than stutzle is to byfield. You can say they don’t have as much exposure to byfield and they’re over hyping him the same way NA guys are doing with stutzle

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
My draft philosophy is simple: in the top 5, you draft the best forwards unless there's a can't miss defenseman like Hedman.

Neither Sanderson nor Drysdale has can't-miss quality to them as their pick range fluctuates greatly from scout to scout. I would rather go with the best forwards at our top picks and then look at how the draft goes from there to assess the quality of remaining players available with the NYI pick.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I posted a Podcast from EliteProspects scout Rachel Doerrie above..
Its a tough listen but if you can fast forward it to when they talk about the prospects it gets a little better.
don't quote me verbatim but the gist I got was

1. Perimeter player to a fault; Does not attack the middle of the ice enough.
2. Tends to stop skating and tries to use his hands to beat players .. doesn't think it translates well.
3. Talks a bit about decision making in a not so flattering way

This is my interpretation of the opinion they gave ... not my own.

Last edited:

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I posted a Podcast from EliteProspects scout Rachel Doerrie above..
Its a tough listen but if you can fast forward it to when they talk about the prospects it gets a little better.
don't quote me verbatim but the gist I got was

1. Perimeter player to a fault; Does not attack the middle of the ice enough.
2. Tends to top skating and tries to use his hands to beat players .. doesn't think it translates well.
3. Talks a bit about decision making in a not so flattering way

This is my interpretation of the opinion they gave ... not my own.
Yeah the elite prospects staff are very low on him, which is their own ranking and what they see so it’s all good.

Definitely don’t agree with it, or their reasoning or evaluations, but that’s the opinion of a message board poster.

H2O

Sep 18, 2005
It’s refreshing to hear about some negative takes though.. feels like there’s never enough analysis on why a player may fail to meet their expectation in the NHL. We almost exclusively only hear about how great they are (understandable or they wouldn’t be top prospects). Just good to get a balance analysis as we know not all top prospects pan out. Like I would love to be a fly on the wall in aNHL scout meeting where they argue over prospects.

Reactions: NB613 and Ed Wood

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I have some wonderful inside info for you guys :nod:

Without trying to sound like I'm flexing too much, and feel free not to believe any of it, but incredibly enough I'm acquainted with someone who actually played on the same team as Tim Stutzle in Germany this season..

Hes a former cup winning NHLer himself, I've posted a bit about it before but I'll let you guys connect the dots if your really interested in who it is..

But enough of that, finally had a chance to catch up with him at the golf course and ask him about Timmy boy, and he had this to say.

Stutzle is even better than advertised. He said that he looks like Patty Kane v2.0 out there (he won a cup with him so hes qualified to make that comparison imo). He said hes a sure fire star forward. Sees him as a more of a winger (like Kane or Panarin is what he used for comparables) in the NHL unless he gets stronger though.

He also said the LA/Germany connection is very real, and that they have the biggest presence and are the most popular NHL team by far in the DEL/Germany. And he would be shocked (shit his pants were his own words) if LA passed on him at #2.

Also, FWIW, Stutzle apparently didnt sound overly hyped about the thought of coming to play in a Canadian city....not specific towards Ottawa, but he seemed to really like the idea of playing in a big American city with nice weather (ie I think California was his dream place to live or something to that effect). And is not a fan of the cold.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad