Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft - 75th Overall - Jean-Luc Foudy - C

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Oh, my bad, I thought it was 19.

It's a bullshit rule--the CHL has to get over themselves. The age SHOULD be 19.
Nearly every GM would agree with you, but the CHL as a whole (and especially the OHL below) are the largest feeder leagues to the NHL and their success ultimately leads to the NHL's success. It is best for all parties to have a strong CHL and keeping 19 year olds in the league is a large part of that. I personally don't think it should be a blanket 19 across the board. Too many players are not ready and would be rushed, plus it give a better visual for the players skipped over for a year. I'd support a 1st round pick exemption... much beyond that I fall more on the CHL side of the debate than the NHL side.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Except, he cant do that...

Being the 13th forward doesn't mean he's never going to get game action... You understand injuries occur and occur quite frequently right?

If he started the year as the 13th forward, he would play 60 games for us.

Yeah, my bad on that first part.

But I just don't see that happening. They'd keep him up for the 9 games or whatever but I don't see them using up an ELC year with him spending a majority of time not playing.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Yeah, my bad on that first part.

But I just don't see that happening. They'd keep him up for the 9 games or whatever but I don't see them using up an ELC year with him spending a majority of time not playing.

But he wouldn't spend the majority of the time not playing. He would easily get 50 games as the 13th forward.

Look at Logan O'Connor. He wasn't on the opening night roster for the team and was basically the 14th forward at the start of the year. He ended up playing 22 of the Avs first 35 games before getting hurt himself and being out since.

He might even crack the opening night roster anyways depending on what the offseason looks like and how many opening night roster spots are up for grabs. I'm thinking at minimum 2 will be available but the possibility of 3 or even 4 exists IMO.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
But he wouldn't spend the majority of the time not playing. He would easily get 50 games as the 13th forward.

Look at Logan O'Connor. He wasn't on the opening night roster for the team and was basically the 14th forward at the start of the year. He ended up playing 22 of the Avs first 35 games before getting hurt himself and being out since.

He might even crack the opening night roster anyways depending on what the offseason looks like and how many opening night roster spots are up for grabs. I'm thinking at minimum 2 will be available but the possibility of 3 or even 4 exists IMO.

I suppose, I still think there's way too many players ahead of him on the depth chart even if some key FAs leave. I also don't see a Matt Calvert-type in the lineup next year you just know is gonna go down. Then again it's the Avs, so...

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Foudy's advantage over pretty much any prospect is his pure skating... I can see situations where that could be rather lacking in the bottom 6 and he's a simple, internal fix to that issue. If LOC is here and Calvert re-signs or a guy like Nieto signs here cheap... Foudy wouldn't have a shot. If LOC gets snagged by Seattle and the Avs don't pick anybody up cheap (possible, but unlikely)... suddenly there could be a real lack of difference making level skating in the bottom 6.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
I get he’s a solid dark horse to make the team, but I don’t know if there will be room for him. Our lineup next year will likely look something like:

Landy-MacK-Mikko
Bura-Kadri-Donskoi
Nuke-Jost-Newhook
LOC-Compher-Kaut/Ranta/Bowers

This is assuming Graves gets selected, but even if it’s Donskoi instead I would imagine we would just see Newhook or Nuke bumped up a line, Compher playing 3RW and 4C signing. It does make it more if a battle between him, Kaut and Ranta then, but I would say both of them are more NHL ready.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I suppose, I still think there's way too many players ahead of him on the depth chart even if some key FAs leave. I also don't see a Matt Calvert-type in the lineup next year you just know is gonna go down. Then again it's the Avs, so...

I'm higher on Foudy then most, I think he will jump ahead of Kaut, and Bowers in camp next year so that he's essentially behind only Newhook and LOC(If he still counts).

The question is going to come down to how much roster turnover the Avs wind up having between this year and next. And how many spots become available in camp. I think we'll see at minimum 2, but would not be surprised to see a 3rd or even 4th available depending on the cap situation and how tight things get for us.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Foudy's advantage over pretty much any prospect is his pure skating... I can see situations where that could be rather lacking in the bottom 6 and he's a simple, internal fix to that issue. If LOC is here and Calvert re-signs or a guy like Nieto signs here cheap... Foudy wouldn't have a shot. If LOC gets snagged by Seattle and the Avs don't pick anybody up cheap (possible, but unlikely)... suddenly there could be a real lack of difference making level skating in the bottom 6.

I think Ranta has a better shot, he plays fast and physical which is pretty much exactly what Bednar looks for. If Ranta can get a bit of an understanding of how the Pk works as a black ace he’ll have a great inside foot.

Reactions: Zandar

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I think Ranta has a better shot, he plays fast and physical which is pretty much exactly what Bednar looks for. If Ranta can get a bit of an understanding of how the Pk works as a black ace he’ll have a great inside foot.

This guy?

E2VX_F_VoAIvtTb

Jokes!

Ranta would have a shot too. There are a few guys who would be competing for a final spot and it depends on what the Avs do this summer too. I wouldn't put past a Nieto reunion on the cheap or a similar sort of 4th line signing that shuts them all down.

Reactions: Perratrooper

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I would have loved LBN back here this year at league minimum. Surprised the Avs didn't do that just for added depth and a guy that could have been buried onto the taxi squad so easily as well.

But especially next year when our cap space really dries up we're likely going to be looking for 1-2 guys on that kind of contract.

Going to be a very interesting off season for us. So much of it will depend on the numbers for Makar, Grubauer, and Landeskog.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
This guy?

E2VX_F_VoAIvtTb

Jokes!

Ranta would have a shot too. There are a few guys who would be competing for a final spot and it depends on what the Avs do this summer too. I wouldn't put past a Nieto reunion on the cheap or a similar sort of 4th line signing that shuts them all down.

I’m starting to believe is tongue is to big for his mouth at this point (and not just the uncomfortable feeling of realizing your tongue is too big for your mouth and don’t notice it until it’s pointed out).

I could definitely see Nieto coming back, but I think a 4C like PEB is more of a need than another winger. I wonder if he see Kaut moved to fill this hole.

Reactions: henchman21

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I’m starting to believe is tongue is to big for his mouth at this point (and not just the uncomfortable feeling of realizing your tongue is too big for your mouth and don’t notice it until it’s pointed out).

I could definitely see Nieto coming back, but I think a 4C like PEB is more of a need than another winger. I wonder if he see Kaut moved to fill this hole.

There should be no shortage of reasonably good 4th line centers who could fill the role available on the free agent market without having to pull Kaut into a role in which he's never really played.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
There should be no shortage of reasonably good 4th line centers who could fill the role available on the free agent market without having to pull Kaut into a role in which he's never really played.

I was suggesting a trade for a similar prospect but at center.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Just because Foudy fit in and looked good in the AHL doesn’t mean he’s all of a sudden too good for Junior. He’s still quite raw. I think the OHL will be great for him next year.

I know this odd year has changed a lot but the opinion that Foudy is all of a sudden too good for the OHL is quite a stretch. He likely won’t be the best player or even one of the 5ish best players in the OHL next year. And even if by some miracle he is, that still doesn’t mean it’s a mistake or that he’s “too good” for it. We see plenty of players go back and light up the CHL as 19 year olds and it’s never a bad thing (Draisaitl, Suzuki, Foudy’s older brother, etc). Those guys weren’t nearly as raw as JL either. If anything I think taking what he’s learned in the pro game back to the OHL and smoothing out some of the wrinkles in his game is probably even better than AHL hockey would be. He’s going to go back there next year with a world of confidence and that’s really going to help with his offensive polish.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
Just because Foudy fit in and looked good in the AHL doesn’t mean he’s all of a sudden too good for Junior. He’s still quite raw. I think the OHL will be great for him next year.

I know this odd year has changed a lot but the opinion that Foudy is all of a sudden too good for the OHL is quite a stretch. He likely won’t be the best player or even one of the 5ish best players in the OHL next year. And even if by some miracle he is, that still doesn’t mean it’s a mistake or that he’s “too good” for it. We see plenty of players go back and light up the CHL as 19 year olds and it’s never a bad thing (Draisaitl, Suzuki Foudy’s older brother, etc).

Having one or two high end skills can also mask deficiencies in your game at lower levels. A great example would be Yakupov, he could shoot and was explosive as hell so he scored like a maniac in Junior. Once he started playing against higher level competition the holes in his game became very apparent. While Foudy's game isn't as deeply flawed as Yakupov's, just because you look good, even dominant at times at lower levels doesn't mean you're ready to play in the NHL.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Foudy was really impressive this year but he should take that experience and go back and destroy the OHL next season. I’d rather let him grow into a top 6 forward if possible than shoehorn him into the bottom 6 early

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I don’t think playing in the OHL is bad per se because he could refine a few things. My concern just is more consistency and trajectory. Someone that lived the pro life, no billet family and on his own, was around professional men all year then goes back to being a kid and with/around just kids. I don’t think like it’s some huge detriment or anything but just halts some of the progress he’s made to go backwards. Then how is Foudy going to be looked at and treated when he is back in the AHL, does halting his momentum set him back there. Is he going to be looked at and thought of as second year pro or not by then.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
I don’t think playing in the OHL is bad per se because he could refine a few things. My concern just is more consistency and trajectory. Someone that lived the pro life, no billet family and on his own, was around professional men all year then goes back to being a kid and with/around just kids. I don’t think like it’s some huge detriment or anything but just halts some of the progress he’s made to go backwards. Then how is Foudy going to be looked at and treated when he is back in the AHL, does halting his momentum set him back there. Is he going to be looked at and thought of as second year pro or not by then.

On the flip side he could go back to the OHL with much more maturity and get more out of the year than he would have if he never took this detour. Like a high schooler taking college classes in the summer, or a college student working in their future field in the summer

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

3G4A in 7 games so far this season

This can't be right! He only has 1 power play point! :sarcasm:

Good to see Foudy take a step. Kid has a lot of athletic talent, just need to see him utilize it effectively. He still may not have a top 6 future, but a good sign the offense is coming around in his game.

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
Turns out I've clearly never heard Foudy's name spoken before - all this time I've been reading it as Fow-dee, but it is Foo-dee.

Well f*** me sideways.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Turns out I've clearly never heard Foudy's name spoken before - all this time I've been reading it as Fow-dee, but it is Foo-dee.

Well f*** me sideways.

Well f*** me sideways.
You must have missed his draft Day interview where Chambers asked him if he liked food because his name sounds like "foody" :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad