Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft - 75th Overall - Jean-Luc Foudy - C

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
So how was his AHL season for those who watched him play?

It was pretty good. The stats this year across the AHL are deceiving. The talent and overall play was a large step down as teams had to deal with taxi squads and orgs forcing in younger players like Foudy into the regular lineups. Basically don't compare year over year for anybody... all skewed and highly depending of the areas they played. On Foudy directly, he showed exactly why he has a NHL skill set. He's a phenomenal skater with great vision and good hands. He's a one man breakout and can shift possession on his own. He took some steps forward in compete and going to more dangerous areas. That will still require some work. His shot, defense, ability to play center, etc are all still large questions that will need work and time to answer where he falls. All in all, I think he showed that his skill set can translate to the professional level and that even if his role is just a bottom 6 guy to help them breakout, he has a NHL future. There were flashes of a lot more than that, where you start to think he's got a top 6 future. Those will need to be more consistent. I'd also like to see him PK a lot next year. I think he can be a real dangerous weapon there.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
It was pretty good. The stats this year across the AHL are deceiving. The talent and overall play was a large step down as teams had to deal with taxi squads and orgs forcing in younger players like Foudy into the regular lineups. Basically don't compare year over year for anybody... all skewed and highly depending of the areas they played. On Foudy directly, he showed exactly why he has a NHL skill set. He's a phenomenal skater with great vision and good hands. He's a one man breakout and can shift possession on his own. He took some steps forward in compete and going to more dangerous areas. That will still require some work. His shot, defense, ability to play center, etc are all still large questions that will need work and time to answer where he falls. All in all, I think he showed that his skill set can translate to the professional level and that even if his role is just a bottom 6 guy to help them breakout, he has a NHL future. There were flashes of a lot more than that, where you start to think he's got a top 6 future. Those will need to be more consistent. I'd also like to see him PK a lot next year. I think he can be a real dangerous weapon there.

That's good to hear.

Then the follow up is what do you do with him? He can't play in the AHL again next year, right? I don't see him making the NHL roster either so a step down to the OHL?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
That's good to hear.

Then the follow up is what do you do with him? He can't play in the AHL again next year, right? I don't see him making the NHL roster either so a step down to the OHL?

That's a big question as he can't bypass the OHL next year... I don't think the OHL would be all bad for him though. The AHL was not nearly as talented this season as in the past... it was a glorified mix of 18-19 year old prospects and AHL vets that barely played over a traditional ECHL level. It wasn't great hockey. A year in the OHL would likely have him playing center as the #1 option and really give him a chance to dominate all around the league for the first time. He could be a 90 point guy there next year on pure talent. I wouldn't be opposed to that plan. That said, I think he's a dark horse to make the Avs. His skating and transition play is tailor made for the Avs and if they have to go heavy on cheap contract because of the cap, he can add a lot of that to the bottom 6. Like a more talented, less tenacious LOC... if you paired up a Foudy-Newhook-Nuke line... you might have something.

He just turned 19 a few days ago so actually, yeah he can.

Has to be 20 by the end of 2021 to bypass the OHL next season.

BleedWell

Jan 6, 2018
So how many Eagles games you watched?

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
upload_2021-5-25_16-14-12.png

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Great news on Foudy. The Avs must be high on him.

For those that have watched a lot of Eagles games, what’s his timeline to the NHL? I’d assume one more year in the AHL?

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I don't think the OHL will be bad for him. He didn't exactly dominate in the AHL (which is understandable given his age), and he will have an opportunity to be a top player and likely play a lot of C, which is still a real weak spot in our pool. It should be interesting to see what it will look like if he applies some of the lessons learned playing against men to juniors.

As Hench said, maybe an outside chance he plays with the Avs, but that just doesn't seem like the Avs MO to open up spots on a contending team to a youngster, at least one who isn't a phenom like Byram. More likely, if they need cheap contracts they'll get a Sherwood or Nieto type for league min and roll with that rather than trust a rookie with the job.

Reactions: MarkT

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Yeah I think he makes the NHL next season as maybe the 13th forward.

My only concern with that if it does indeed happen, is it starts to limit the offensive upside he can find in his game. If he's cast into the NHL right away playing bottom 6 minutes where his defensive game, PKing, and grindy hockey is to be put on display more than offensive ability, it may start to cast him into that role.

One year in the OHL where he can dominate while getting top minutes would give him a much better chance at carving out a path towards being a possible Top 6 option for us down the road. And personally I definitely think he has Top 6 upside if the Avs are patient with him and give him an opportunity to develop that side of his game. But his skating ability will make it hard to be patient, especially for a team that relies on great skaters like the Avs do. Bednar will probably see him in training camp next year and want him on the team right away.

Reactions: Richard88

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Yeah I think he makes the NHL next season as maybe the 13th forward.

My only concern with that if it does indeed happen, is it starts to limit the offensive upside he can find in his game. If he's cast into the NHL right away playing bottom 6 minutes where his defensive game, PKing, and grindy hockey is to be put on display more than offensive ability, it may start to cast him into that role.

One year in the OHL where he can dominate while getting top minutes would give him a much better chance at carving out a path towards being a possible Top 6 option for us down the road. And personally I definitely think he has Top 6 upside if the Avs are patient with him and give him an opportunity to develop that side of his game. But his skating ability will make it hard to be patient, especially for a team that relies on great skaters like the Avs do. Bednar will probably see him in training camp next year and want him on the team right away.

I'm pretty confident they will most assuredly not shove a 19-year-old with upside into the press box. He's likely playing top six minutes in Loveland next season.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I'm pretty confident they will most assuredly not shove a 19-year-old with upside into the press box. He's likely playing top six minutes in Loveland next season.

Except, he cant do that...

Being the 13th forward doesn't mean he's never going to get game action... You understand injuries occur and occur quite frequently right?

If he started the year as the 13th forward, he would play 60 games for us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad