Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft 60th Overall Pick, Will Cuylle, LW

IceColdOx

Jan 29, 2019
Watertown, NY
Will Cuylle was drafted 3rd Overall in the 2018 OHL Draft by the Peterborough Petes. Before he could even play a game for the team, he was traded to the Windsor Spitfires. Cuylle made an immediate impact in Windsor. He scored 26 goals and 15 assists for 41 points in 63 games last season. He also added two goals and an assist for three points in four playoff games. Cuylle was named to the OHL’s Second All-Rookie Team. He also played for Team Canada Black at the Under-17 World Hockey Challenge, where he scored two goals and an assist for three points in five games.

Cuylle has continued that solid production this season. He started the year at the Hlinka-Gretzky Cup, putting up two goals and an assist for three points in five games and winning a silver medal. The Toronto Native also scored 22 goals and 20 assists for 42 points in 62 games. He was also named the OHL Academic Player of the Month in January, showing his smarts off the ice as well. In 2017-18, he was one of the best players at the OHL Cup. He scored 12 points in six games, leading the tournament in scoring and being named to the All-Star team.

Will Cuylle Scouting Report: 2020 NHL Draft #60 - Last Word on Hockey

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Scouting reports seem to suggest he was a big time faller this season after being considered a top prospect last summer.

So this would be a 'hope he figures it out' pick rather than a low ceiling safe pick.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Did anyone else like Coe better, or is that just me?

AIexisLafreniereNYR

Registered Drug User
Jan 25, 2009
New York City
Tom Wilson / Milan Lucic esque

Disappointed in Lias. Really says a lot about someone’s character when you’re the first pick since we announced a rebuild, and every other first round pick has been promising.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
He also played RW. He has a very strong shot as well. Reminds me of Gauthier but with a better shot. Here is the Pronman breakdown:

58. William Cuylle, LW, Windsor-OHL
Feb. 5, 2002 | 6-foot-3 | 204 pounds

Skating: 50
Puck Skills: 55
Physical Game: 60
Hockey Sense: 55
Shot Grade: 60

After scoring 26 goals as a 16-year-old in the OHL, Cuylle entered the season with a fair bit of hype. He didn’t have a great statistical season, mostly repeating his numbers from his underage season, but he did generate a lot of shots with 200 on goal in 62 games. Cuylle is appealing because he’s a 6-foot-3 winger who plays a powerful style and has a bullet of a shot. He will be able to score from the dots in the NHL because of how hard and accurate his shot is. He surprisingly didn’t have that high a shooting percentage this season, but also scored several very high quality goals, lending to the theory he may have been a little unlucky. He’s not reckless with his physicality, but he does throw his weight around and can create chances around the net. I debated between a 55 and a 60 for Cuylle’s hands. I saw flashes of 60 grade but not consistently enough. He’s a true playmaker and he’s not that quick, so I saw a lot of nights where it didn’t seem like he did much. He has a strong track record even if his point totals this season weren’t great. He has a lot of the tools you look for outside the skating and hockey IQ, and I think it’s enough to make it.

Trevor Letowski, coach of Windsor Spitfires, on Cuylle: “His shot jumps off his stick, it’s like a cannon. I haven’t seen many guys who can hammer it past goalies like he can.”

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
Scouting reports seem to suggest he was a big time faller this season after being considered a top prospect last summer.

So this would be a 'hope he figures it out' pick rather than a low ceiling safe pick.
Needs to develop his offensive game. If he does then he should be knocking on the door in about 3 seasons. Couple more in the OHL before Hartford.
When does Kreider's L-NMC kick in, lol?

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Hi, Windsor guy here with some info on Cuylle.

It's pronounced "Cool-EE"... like Coolio, without the "O" on the end.

He came to Windsor with the label of a pure sniper. Did well in his rookie season. Big kid, loves to use the body, sets up well on the wing and around the net. Great pro shot. Originally projected to be a first rounder, but fell off the table this season. He seemed to focus more on the physical game, especially when the offensive side became tougher. Didn't produce as much and you could see frustration building. Once he gets going, though, and develops offensive consistency, he will do damage. Some risk, but high reward.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Weren't at least some people talking about this guy as a potential Rangers draft pick?
Yes. Love the pick. This is a continuation of building a team that is hard to play against. Exactly the right type of player to round out the high end skill of the team.

A player like Cuyelle can slot in perfectly on a third line And he is not without skill.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad