Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft 60th Overall Pick, Will Cuylle, LW

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
They are serious about getting tougher to play against.

I just hope they don't prioritize toughness over actual ability to play in the NHL.
I believe that they want more reliable players that can come in and play at a NHL level on a whim in the future. You don't want to have a roster that is competing for a title, and then have to fill for injuries and bring up a broken down Beleskey as your next best up. This kid seems to be modeling his game well.

Reactions: mas0764

Dr. Ogrodnick

Jan 10, 2007
Sweet. I was just thinking, lets load up on positions we are overstocked on. True ballers draft guys that will never play on the big team.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Sweet. I was just thinking, lets load up on positions we are overstocked on. True ballers draft guys that will never play on the big team.
Sweet, I was just thinking let's load this thread up with posts from people that don't read anything about the player even posted in the same thread. True baller forums have posters that never add to the conversation

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005

Well at this point the easily translatable players are gone.

These are all longer term projects and lottery tickets from here on out. You draft players for significantly down the road at this point and there is no harm in taking really any position, as long as you ultimately are making sure every position has something in your organization.

Reactions: Alluckks

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.

I mean, the only position that we DON'T have one too many prospects is C. Are we going to just forfeit our remaining picks because "Nah, we good." Probably not.

Continue to draft either pains in the ass, or late swings for the fences. The rest will work itself out.

Dr. Ogrodnick

Jan 10, 2007
I mean, the only position that we DON'T have one too many prospects is C. Are we going to just forfeit our remaining picks because "Nah, we good." Probably not.

Continue to draft either pains in the ass, or late swings for the fences. The rest will work itself out.
Or we could, ya know, draft a center....

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Can't stress how much I love this pick.

I won't repeat what others have already posted --- it's accurate.

But this kid has some skill to go with the attitude, and I love that --- even if it never quite matches the original expectations for him in the OHL (more of a Matthew Tkachuk type).

If he puts it together, this is a kid you win with ---again, there's that concept. These are the unique, diverse and ESSENTIAL type of players you build a TEAM with.

There is an attitude taking shape in this draft that says, "I'll shoot the puck the past you and score. And if you try to do the same on my goalie, I'm gonna make you work your ass for it."

I love that.

As for what the Rangers see:

This was a kid they had 30th overall on their list. He was potential candidate if the Carolina pick fell a little further back. He was also a potential candidate if they landed a pick for Strome or Georgiev.

There's a lot of natural comparisons to Tom Wilson, but let's avoid setting that kind of expectation for a kid. When I talked to the Rangers, one of the things they said was, "We're looking for kids like Will Cuylle --- someone you look for at the trade deadline and have to a pay premium for."

They're looking for guys who can be an asshole, but also play an important role and get some serious minutes.

LOVE, LOVE the potential here.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
RLR toughest players/best fighters

4. Will Cuylle — Big winger plays a tough, hard-nosed, physical
game and won’t hesitate to back it up with his fists.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
I’m starting to like this guy, but on NHL Network or Sportsnet, they seemed to be hyping up every 2nd round draft pick besides this one haha

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Hi, Windsor guy here with some info on Cuylle.

It's pronounced "Cool-EE"... like Coolio, without the "O" on the end.

He came to Windsor with the label of a pure sniper. Did well in his rookie season. Big kid, loves to use the body, sets up well on the wing and around the net. Great pro shot. Originally projected to be a first rounder, but fell off the table this season. He seemed to focus more on the physical game, especially when the offensive side became tougher. Didn't produce as much and you could see frustration building. Once he gets going, though, and develops offensive consistency, he will do damage. Some risk, but high reward.

Has he spent any time at center?

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I cant speak for everyone else but I was joking when I said Gropp. This isn’t a bad pick. I liked Coe better if they were looking for a big wing but it’s clear the Rangers have a certain strategy this year.

Ratelleitlikeitis

Apr 7, 2011
Guelph
Hi, Windsor guy here with some info on Cuylle.

It's pronounced "Cool-EE"... like Coolio, without the "O" on the end.

He came to Windsor with the label of a pure sniper. Did well in his rookie season. Big kid, loves to use the body, sets up well on the wing and around the net. Great pro shot. Originally projected to be a first rounder, but fell off the table this season. He seemed to focus more on the physical game, especially when the offensive side became tougher. Didn't produce as much and you could see frustration building. Once he gets going, though, and develops offensive consistency, he will do damage. Some risk, but high reward.

Thanks and cheers to Windsor, my original hometown.

Reactions: OHLTG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad