Jun 17, 2019
1A73A391-3CE7-41B9-A78A-8040650FD112.jpeg

Lias Andersson appreciation post - thanks

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
someone you look for at the trade deadline and have to a pay premium for

This is an awesome quote because to me it indicates really smart forward looking management. If you have the "skill" horses, and know/hope eventually you will be looking for the other "missing pieces"...why not try to draft and develop those pieces now, rather than overpaying for them at the deadline?

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Exactly the type of player I was hoping we would look for. Tough, hard nosed kid with skill. Maybe not a top 6...but a guy who is nasty to play against but has talent. Hope he works out for us.

Reactions: Cag29

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Exactly the type of player I was hoping we would look for. Tough, hard nosed kid with skill. Maybe not a top 6...but a guy who is nasty to play against but has talent. Hope he works out for us.

Hope he makes the NHL and not the next Dane Byers who some fans thought the same

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
I do like the sandpaper element that Gorton and JD are explicitly focusing on. This team is much too pretty and finesse in its current state. Hopefully these kids like Coolio and Schneid will be balancing and complimentary to the main core.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Aggregate ranking #70OA. Seems solid. Also one of the few names I recognize past #30 which is even more solid.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Can't stress how much I love this pick.

I won't repeat what others have already posted --- it's accurate.

But this kid has some skill to go with the attitude, and I love that --- even if it never quite matches the original expectations for him in the OHL (more of a Matthew Tkachuk type).

If he puts it together, this is a kid you win with ---again, there's that concept. These are the unique, diverse and ESSENTIAL type of players you build a TEAM with.

There is an attitude taking shape in this draft that says, "I'll shoot the puck the past you and score. And if you try to do the same on my goalie, I'm gonna make you work your ass for it."

I love that.

As for what the Rangers see:

This was a kid they had 30th overall on their list. He was potential candidate if the Carolina pick fell a little further back. He was also a potential candidate if they landed a pick for Strome or Georgiev.

There's a lot of natural comparisons to Tom Wilson, but let's avoid setting that kind of expectation for a kid. When I talked to the Rangers, one of the things they said was, "We're looking for kids like Will Cuylle --- someone you look for at the trade deadline and have to a pay premium for."

They're looking for guys who can be an asshole, but also play an important role and get some serious minutes.

LOVE, LOVE the potential here.

I'll say this, I'm happy to die on the same hill as @Edge. If he loves this pick, I'm all in

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
No Mcilrath and Gropp with our last two picks, these guys can play and have been highly rated for awhile now.

I like highly skilled prospects as much as everyone, we drafted a bunch in the last few years and guys like this will open up some room for them to get around while adding complementary offense. I.just hope we don't lose patience and rush it.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
My only problem with drafting for an immediate need like toughness because of this years playoffs is by the time these kids are ready they Rangers will have signed Reaves or a Maroon type or <insert some other tough type>. It's kind of like a dog chasing it's tail.

Kokoschka

May 13, 2012
I literally didn't know anything about this guy until just now, but I like the Rangers decisiveness in this draft. They see a player they like, they're not afraid to make the necessary moves. Same with the Schneider pick.
Lias wasn't going anywhere here - best of luck to him in LA.

Sayba

Dark Schneider
Jul 7, 2009
My only problem with drafting for an immediate need like toughness because of this years playoffs is by the time these kids are ready they Rangers will have signed Reaves or a Maroon type or <insert some other tough type>. It's kind of like a dog chasing it's tail.

We got got him at pick 60 and traded a guy who didn't work out for him. You can say the same thing for anything you address in the draft. We have lots of skill, he is good value here and a player I'm really excited about.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad