John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Capture.jpg

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
At 25, you aren’t getting an ideal prospect. If he has a healthy draft season and builds on the prior year, he goes top 10. We never have a chance at him anyway. As long as management did their due diligence on the medical issue, I’m fine with this. With his size and speed, he could make a developmental leap and turn into a high end player. He probably won’t, but that’s just how drafting late first round is.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Not crazy about the idea of him missing so much development time, but the upside is certainly there. He’s projected to miss another 6 weeks here before he can take the ice again, so he’s missing some crucial time. I kind of expected the Avs to draft need vs. BPA, so I’m not shocked.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Love that we draft Dmen with our top picks now, its such a change compared to the only forwards at all costs mentally of the past.

The Avs definitely went with their needs. BPA is such a buzzword that hardly means anything at the draft.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gabe MacAntanen

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
By all reports it was going to be Barron or Brisson, based on who the Avs had been known to have targeted. I liked Brisson better as a rising stock but Barron definitely fit an organizational need better and given that the team likely had them ranked similarly, they went with the RHD over the forward.

I've got mixed feelings on this...there are red flags in terms of staying healthy and his on-ice play not really developing last season (albeit in very limited time and on a Halifax team that did not meet their usual standards). I know it's not head trauma issues like Timmins but when one of our top defensive prospects already can't stay healthy, taking another injury risk seems...risky?

On the plus side, he's got all the physical tools and people really in tune with the Q seem to be higher on him still than casual observers and armchair scouts.

I see people talking boom or bust with him but I actually think it's quite the opposite. His skating, athleticism and skill looks all destined to play in the NHL. The question is whether he is one of those guys who tops out as a third pairing defenseman who "looks the part" or if he can break through that ceiling with good (and hopefully healthy) development.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Love that we draft Dmen with our top picks now, its such a change compared to the only forwards at all costs mentally of the past.

The Avs definitely went with their needs. BPA is such a buzzword that hardly means anything at the draft.

It's definitely a better approach than drafting every 5'-10" center they can find.

I don't think this was a need pick, I think Brisson and Barron were equal on the board and then they looked at position as the tie-breaker.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Not crazy about the idea of him missing so much development time, but the upside is certainly there. He’s projected to miss another 6 weeks here before he can take the ice again, so he’s missing some crucial time. I kind of expected the Avs to draft need vs. BPA, so I’m not shocked.

This was BPA.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Yeah. Z isn't dumb, he has trouble focusing. And a spot-on assessment by @PAZ. Graves is the dummy out of the two. Nikita can react fast enough, he actually relishes the challenge. I think a lot of his inconsistency comes from being too lackadaisical in the regular season and playing on cruise control. When he is focused he can be a very good #4D as we've seen in two playoffs straight. Graves just looks like a guy who has sensory overload when the tempo picks up. If we move one of them I sure hope it's Graves and not Zadorov.
Spot on about Graves. I said all year we can hide this flaw in the regular season but when the rubber hits the road in the playoffs and a team can scout the hell out of you he was going to get exposed and voila. Dallas did just that. Graves was overwhelmee.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
It's crazy how much influence Mackinnon has on this franchise.

He wanted the Avs to take Barron and had been texting with Joe for a few days now about him and about the pick.

He already skates with him in the summer times.

I think regardless of how one feels about Barron... The fact he's already got Mackinnon lobbying for him, and he's already working out and training with Mackinnon is pretty great.

The Avs were probably a perfect fit for Barron to get drafted to and vice versa. Gonna be really hard for this kid to fail if Mack is already taking him under his wing.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
It's crazy how much influence Mackinnon has on this franchise.

He wanted the Avs to take Barron and had been texting with Joe for a few days now about him and about the pick.

He already skates with him in the summer times.

I think regardless of how one feels about Barron... The fact he's already got Mackinnon lobbying for him, and he's already working out and training with Mackinnon is pretty great.

The Avs were probably a perfect fit for Barron to get drafted to and vice versa. Gonna be really hard for this kid to fail if Mack is already taking him under his wing.

MacK taking him under his wing? Great, another guy that can't win a f***ing faceoff :sarcasm:.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I like this pick, Barron is the player I was hoping Colorado would take. Hopefully we'll see him on the second pairing in a few years.

Reactions: Gabe MacAntanen

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Everything I’ve seen and read (super limited) screams EJ to me. He seems to possibly have a bit better control with the puck and be slightly more agile, but has EJ’s offensive awareness. He seems like a good bet to skate the puck out of the defensive zone, which I think is something the Avs management tends to like. If someone knows his fancy stats that could verify or squash my theory please let me know.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad