Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft 1st Overall Pick, Alexis Lafreniere, LW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Can we just put this kid back at LW?!
That’s where he’s comfortable at. I rather switch kreider to the third line if the reason why Lafreniere is RW is to play on a top line.
That seems absolutely ridiculous to me. Yeah, just put Kreider on the 3rd line, to make way for a rookie. Kreids didnt get that contract for no good reason. And he wont see 3rd line duties for at least 3 years, or he regresses to his disappearing days, or becomes slow as a constipated turd.....and loses 35 lbs of muscle.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
My hope is by some miracle Lafreniere or Kakko get some serious first pp looks sooner rather than later
As of right now, that means replacing either Panarin or Buchnevich.

If Strome was playing the left side, I could get behind Lafreniere getting a look there. But both he and Kakko got some PP time, but as you point out, that is not really going to be meaningful time. And I just cannot see them cracking the top PP unit while Panarin and Buchnevich are manning the left and right wall.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
At the end of the day, Kakko and Laf look like they belong in the NHL --- at least I think so.

Are they going out there and dominating every shift? No, of course not.

Are they doing at least a few things each game that is noticeable in a positive way? Yeah, they are.

Neither guy is exactly getting spoon-fed ice time and opportunities with elite veteran talent that is locked-in. And yet, despite that, they've often been on the Rangers best lines through the first three games of the season.

Lafreniere has had a few scoring opportunities. Kakko has a goal, and could easily have another couple of points at this stage (one shot went wide, and Strome handled another opportunity like it was a live grenade).

On the list of things that are even remotely concerning at this point, the pair of 19 year old kids really isn't one of them.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Play him at his natural LW position. If that's on the third line fine it's not like Chytil is a disaster and you put him on the first pp unit and then no one is complaining when he's putting up points and increasing Playing time at the same time.
Kind of been saying that. If those 2 mesh, could really bring Chytil's game to a whole new level. Staying together for a significant period of time, could do wonders. If Laf, no WHEN Laf gets going that would best suit the Rangers. We NEED Chytil do be that 2C, will fast forward where Strome needs to be.
Not trying to bandwagon STROME, but again this would be best.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Yeah honestly 3rd line LW with Chytil and PP1 time would be ideal.

I'd kind of like to see what He looks like Opposite Kakko too.

The problem then becomes do you run PDG with Kreider and Zibanejad? It would be nice to have a better option there.
PDG has played well thus far, but wouldn't that be like putting Fast there? No easy answers here. Something has got to give.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
So much this. It's shows how little experience this organization has in developing elite talent.
To be fair, how much practice have they had? This is beyond NEW to them. We need JD and JG to get their hands dirty and "help" Quinn understand what might be best for this team, what happens this year fares one way or another into next year. Please, lets NOT revisit what should have been multiple cups for Henrik, wasting precious games in what "should be" 100% development year.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
You won't hear me disagree with people questioning Quinn's ability to develop young players. But specifically pertaining to Laf, I think he's looked good and we shouldn't be freaking out three games into his career

Quinn is a mixed bag to me. There are some criticisms of him that are perfectly understandable and fair, and that extends to player development.

On the other hand, I don't think we can mention Quinn's track record on player development without looking at guys like ADA, and Buch as well. Compared to some talents where we can debate whether they came ready to run or whether Quinn helped out the pieces together, there's no doubt that ADA and Buch have clearly come a long way in their development.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Great we got the #1 pick, he's a LW.

I got an idea, let's move him to RW by game 2

I mean while that is a very simplified and obnoxious way of putting it, that is what they have done.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I would like to

see Laf or KK in Stromes spot. On the PP.
Strome is on the right wall. I would not mind seeing Kakko get that time. But I can understand why Quinn is giving him a bit more of a role, given the success there last year. But again, if Strome has been replaced with Buchnevich, I am not sure how material Kakko being on PP2 will be.

Ultimately, I think that their chances will come.

Reactions: Cag29

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Great we got the #1 pick, he's a LW.

I got an idea, let's move him to RW by game 2

I mean while that is a very simplified and obnoxious way of putting it, that is what they have done.
Is it really that much different than when the board wants to move him to center?

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Quinn is a mixed bag to me. There are some criticisms of him that are perfectly understandable and fair, and that extends to player development.

On the other hand, I don't think we can mention Quinn's track record on player development without looking at guys like ADA, and Buch as well. Compared to some talents where we can debate whether they came ready to run or whether Quinn helped out the pieces together, there's no doubt that ADA and Buch have clearly come a long way in their development.
He is still scratching ADA, so i’m going to go out and say he hasn’t accomplished much with him. Buch already had NHL experience before Quinn. Aside from Fox, he can’t really seem to get any top prospect going when they start in the NHL under him.

Kakko, Andersson, Krav, Gauthier, Chytil. Laf is so early but playing him away from his natural position is a head scratcher for a kid trying to just gain some confidence.

Unless they come from the NCAA, where he coached, he seems clueless or unable to give them a fair shake.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
On right side of the second PP unit? Playing his off side on the PP may not yield the results you believe.

I think playing the offside on the PP actually works better than at regular strength. Play him at 3LW at regular strength where he’s comfortable and knows where to be as the play transitions up and down the ice for breakouts and such. On the PP, where you’re supposed to establish possession and have more space, playing the offside is actually good. Same reason you’ll see D play their off side on the PP, stick to the inside of the ice, easier playmaking and opens up the onetime option.

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
Laf has showed excellent foot speed so far and can clearly keep up with the pace of the NHL. That is an ENOURMOUS thing to be able to say. If we consider how Lias never could keep up with the skating pace, it's clear Laf is far beyond anything like that. He's also been much more noticeable than Kakko, who, remains a question mark in terms of speed. In today's NHL if you have the speed, you will be able to develop the other traits!

Reactions: RangersFan1994

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas

My only problem with that is you can’t tangibly say Quinn was the reason. Buch has slowly improved every season and is hitting his prime. He plays with good linemates and plays with them consistently. He seems to have matured with age and dedicated himself to improving. I’m not going to sit here and say coaching had nothing to do with that, but a lot of it is on the player as well. Ditto ADA. The talent was always there. He needed to mature and settle down. Playing on a team with KZB, Panarin, being able to be sheltered behind Trouba and Fox. How much of it is on the coach actually developing him and how much is on the circumstances and him growing up (... a bit)? Again, I’m not saying it’s NOT the coach. I’m just saying it’s something that isn’t quantifiable.

On the flip side, those guys had been around the league a bit before ever meeting Quinn. Truly green players like Chytil, Kakko, Laf and Gauthier haven’t been handled in a way that points towards Quinn being above (or below) average with development. Not saying there’s been no improvement or that every coach around the league is better, obviously, but I don’t think there’s anything there that stands out to say “this is the right coach to develop young talent”. As in, he may be lacking in other areas but specializes in development.

And if he doesn’t specialize in development, and doesn’t specialize in preparedness, and doesn’t specialize in implementing a structured system and doesn’t keep lines together, ever, and allow chemistry to develop than... overall he gets a very middling grade from me.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
He is still scratching ADA, so i’m going to go out and say he hasn’t accomplished much with him. Buch already had NHL experience before Quinn. Aside from Fox, he can’t really seem to get any top prospect going when they start in the NHL under him.

Kakko, Andersson, Krav, Gauthier, Chytil. Laf is so early but playing him away from his natural position is a head scratcher for a kid trying to just gain some confidence.

Unless they come from the NCAA, where he coached, he seems clueless or unable to give them a fair shake.

See, I think that's part of the double standard we create. Coaches are only capable of f***ing up young players, never helping them.

ADA turned into not only a regular NHL player, but one of the highest scoring defenseman in the league. That's not simply undone because he was scratched for two games for behaving stupid.

Yes, Buch did have NHL experience. But look at the player he was, versus the player he's become. Let's be real, if he completely fell of the map, or showed zero progress, we'd sure as hell be holding that against Quinn. So why can't we point to the positive gains? I think we have to give credit where credit is due there.

I feel like the last part kind of contradicts itself. We just named three players in three years (Fox, ADA and Buch), and then mentioned how it's too early to tell on the others.

I'm not saying he's god gift to development, but at the very least it certainly doesn't paint a picture of someone who is a wrecking ball for anyone under the age 25.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Could you imagine the board's reaction if it were suggested that the Rangers move Laf to RW prior to it happening?

It had been? Several times in order to quell the LW log jam.

I don't have a problem with it. If his game starts to suffer because of it, then sure move him back.

But to this point, he's played it for 2 games, one of those was his best game so far. His center in those games was Strome who can't do anything right at the moment.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I think playing the offside on the PP actually works better than at regular strength. Play him at 3LW at regular strength where he’s comfortable and knows where to be as the play transitions up and down the ice for breakouts and such. On the PP, where you’re supposed to establish possession and have more space, playing the offside is actually good. Same reason you’ll see D play their off side on the PP, stick to the inside of the ice, easier playmaking and opens up the onetime option.
I would tend to disagree as playing the off side, you will loose his shot. I get what you are saying, and that may be a path when get gains more confidence and establishes himself.
My only problem with that is you can’t tangibly say Quinn was the reason. Buch has slowly improved every season and is hitting his prime. He plays with good linemates and plays with them consistently. He seems to have matured with age and dedicated himself to improving. I’m not going to sit here and say coaching had nothing to do with that, but a lot of it is on the player as well. Ditto ADA. The talent was always there. He needed to mature and settle down. Playing on a team with KZB, Panarin, being able to be sheltered behind Trouba and Fox. How much of it is on the coach actually developing him and how much is on the circumstances and him growing up (... a bit)? Again, I’m not saying it’s NOT the coach. I’m just saying it’s something that isn’t quantifiable.
I think that it is a bit more than coincidence. He is here and their game have improved. If we are going to five him grief for some players, then he gets to have some credit at those that have definitively taken steps forward.

Last edited:

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Could you imagine the board's reaction if it were suggested that the Rangers move Laf to RW prior to it happening?
Those that think that it is just that easy would cheer. Unfortunately, playing the game on EA sports and in real life are not the same thing. Is it possible? Sure. Probability of success? Not that great. Not zero, but not one to bet on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad