Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft 1st Overall Pick, Alexis Lafreniere, LW

Status
Not open for further replies.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
If we put him back at LW the conversation will just go back to how he isn’t getting enough ice time on the third line. If we play him at RW with Panarin the conversation is he’s played out of a position. When you strive to complain you can never lose.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Lafreniere was said to be the best since Matthews.

No doubt he's not Crosby or Ovechkin level but something is off when Kakko and Lafreniere, both billed as more NHL ready than the average bear, are struggling to show up on the stat sheet consistently.

Yeah it's just three games but Svechnikov averaged 0.45 ppg his rookie year. Hischier averaged 0.63. Laine averaged 0.88. Eichel averaged 0.69. Mackinnon averaged 0.77. RNH averaged 0.55. Huberdeau averaged 0.65. Taylor Hall averaged 0.65.

Kakko was 0.35 and so far Lafreniere has a goose egg. He doesn't look like he's about to put up in excess of a half a point per game which would really be my expectation.

Yes Seguin and Barkov are lower outliers but what, we just happen to nab two of the only not NHL ready to contribute players picked in the top 2 in the last decade or so?

Something smells. And I suspect it's their usage or instruction.

I don't know if this another joke but you're basing whether he can put together a half a point per game in a 56 game season by the fact that he had no points in his first THREE game?

People are panicking over three f***ing games?

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
You only answered half of it. :laugh:

Thats the only half that matters!

Both of them aren't getting on the top unit unless injuries happen. And to be clear, I don't think that either of them will get on the top unit even IF Quinn decides to move Strome off of it. It'll likely be Buch and thats fine too.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
If we put him back at LW the conversation will just go back to how he isn’t getting enough ice time on the third line. If we play him at RW with Panarin the conversation is he’s played out of a position. When you strive to complain you can never lose.
Play him at his natural LW position. If that's on the third line fine it's not like Chytil is a disaster and you put him on the first pp unit and then no one is complaining when he's putting up points and increasing Playing time at the same time.

Reactions: Off Sides

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Play him at his natural LW position. If that's on the third line fine it's not like Chytil is a disaster and you put him on the first pp unit and then no one is complaining when he's putting up points and increasing Playing time at the same time.

Yeah honestly 3rd line LW with Chytil and PP1 time would be ideal.

I'd kind of like to see what He looks like Opposite Kakko too.

The problem then becomes do you run PDG with Kreider and Zibanejad? It would be nice to have a better option there.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Yeah honestly 3rd line LW with Chytil and PP1 time would be ideal.

I'd kind of like to see what He looks like Opposite Kakko too.

The problem then becomes do you run PDG with Kreider and Zibanejad? It would be nice to have a better option there.

Gauthier has a lot more upside than PDG and plays RW.

Most really good teams work off of pairings and mix and match the third part.

My pairings would be 93-13, 72-10, 16-20. 89, 24, and 12 can all rotate until you've found what works. Since we don't have the personnel for a checking line anyway, I see no point in loading the top-6 the way we do, even from the perspective of trying to win. Spread the even strength minutes, try to roll out three lines that can all score, and (as is already the plan) pray that the goaltending is spectacular every night.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT

Lw on the top line

Move Kreider

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I'd go with Laf 3rdLW

Not as much pressure, maybe less ice time, maybe not. Depends on coaching and game situation. If the 3rd line is playing best, or better than either of the two lines ahead of them in any game, I'm not sure why coaching, at least 5on5, would not adjust the ice time to give that line more. If coaching for some reason does not see which line is having a better game, that would to me indicate more of a coaching issue.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I’m fine with Laf at 3LW or 2RW. I don’t think playing his offside really effects him too much. I’m sure with a few more games to adjust it would be a non-issue. Strome is an anchor right now, so even though he’s playing opposite Panarin, that line is kind of a mess. I’m more concerned with getting him PP time, preferably Strome’s spot on PP1, but at least on PP2, than where he plays at ES for now. Another game like the last for Strome and I really feel Chytil needs to be swapping lines with him.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
I don't know if this another joke but you're basing whether he can put together a half a point per game in a 56 game season by the fact that he had no points in his first THREE game?

People are panicking over three f***ing games?

Not at all; I’m saying there is a disturbing pattern of underachievement from the draft picks that has emerged; based on what not just we as fan bases expect but what the team itself seemed to expect and all outside prognosticators.

Lias, Kravtsov, and Kakko there is certainly more evidence for.

It’s super early with Lafreniere; just saying, so far NOT so good.

We will see but I’m not gonna put on blinders and act like it’s all fine. I’m marginally concerned.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
Just move kreider to RW it’s really not difficult it really won’t affect what he does well. Playing this kid out of position to start his career is criminal. He looks lost frankly these last two games whereas in game one I thought he was pretty good
So much this. It's shows how little experience this organization has in developing elite talent.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida

No doubt he's not Crosby or Ovechkin level but something is off when Kakko and Lafreniere, both billed as more NHL ready than the average bear, are struggling to show up on the stat sheet consistently.

Yeah it's just three games but Svechnikov averaged 0.45 ppg his rookie year. Hischier averaged 0.63. Laine averaged 0.88. Eichel averaged 0.69. Mackinnon averaged 0.77. RNH averaged 0.55. Huberdeau averaged 0.65. Taylor Hall averaged 0.65.

Kakko was 0.35 and so far Lafreniere has a goose egg. He doesn't look like he's about to put up in excess of a half a point per game which would really be my expectation.

Yes Seguin and Barkov are lower outliers but what, we just happen to nab two of the only not NHL ready to contribute players picked in the top 2 in the last decade or so?

I smell the same thing you're smelling, and it ain't roses. Even if this horrific smell is TRUE, much of what was stated about these "stars" has to be directed towards playing time and PP time. Kakko hasnt seen a whole lot and Laf is way too early to make a big stink. Not too early to realize that they aren't going to be on the scoreboard in an "easy manner".
I don't care too much for that "instant success", because it scares me to thinking that such player could become extremely spoiled and become primadonna"ish".
Yeah, the Rangers always seem to make kids struggle, by not paving an easy path (Buch, Chytil recently) and even remember Cally being quite the yoyo before he stuck.
Somewhere along the line, you have to give them subsantial minutes. The more PT the quicker they adapt.
However one wants to look at it, this is a DEVELOPMENT YEAR. We would all sacrifice the PO's if these kids PLAYED, and PROGRESSED, with winning a close 2nd place.
Quinn seems genuinely concerned about his job, over what's best LONGTERM.

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
Rangers need to get the idea that they have a chance of making the playoffs out of their sickly heads. I think that’s been the main driving force of the massively short leashes.

Yes there’s a small chance if most of the team overachieves and Igor channels his inner Lundqvist, but chances are they aren’t making it. I’m sure if you look back at history there aren’t many teams with an average age of like 23 that made the playoffs. Even if they do, it’ll be Carolina all over again. Let the damn kids play and make their mistakes

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
He’s played C before. Just for kicks:

Bread - Laf - Goat

Tired if seeing Strome suck this season. Won’t happen, of course, but it’s a thought.

daggs94

Jul 25, 2011
NY

I think it's worth noting that out of everyone you listed Seguin is the only player (like Laf) to go from being a top pick to playing for a team that was already very deep at his position. It's been 3 games, we all need to relax.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
It's been 3 games, we all need to relax.

D4OyIsvW0AE0fZl.jpg

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Strome. Should never have been there to begin with
Wasn't he replaced on the top PP with Buchnevich? In either case, putting him on the right side of the PP would lessen his effectiveness. This is not video game hockey.

As who was meant to be there, that is your view. Coaching staff felt different and the PP was great. And looks very good again.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Nope, not falling for it.

If you have a counter position, please share it.
Your claim is that he they were billed as NHL ready. I am asking you to tell me who it was the billed them? It is your assertion. I am not looking to counter it. I am looking for you to site where you got it from.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->