Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft 1st Overall Pick, Alexis Lafreniere, LW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frozen Lake

Nov 20, 2020
Yeah, I think his biggest weakness if there was one is his skating, and it's not even a hindrance. One thing I've noticed in these two games is he's not doing the hot shot prospect in their first NHL games thing of just trying to dangle through the entire opposing team, he's full on just playing simple and effective hockey that you'd see from a 5+ year vet, though I have no doubt that when he's fully settled in we're going to see him do some of the silly things he's done to teams in juniors.

Stuetzle is an exciting player for sure, but I think he plays the fast reactionary style of hockey that makes people get out of their seats when they watch him, where I think Lafreniere is more measured in his approach and just thinks the game like 5 steps ahead of every one else
This is sort of how it is with Hischier. He is very methodical in his movement and decision making, and with the team around him having been poor with poor coaching.. people assume he is automatically never worthy of a top-3 pick in that draft because of his numbers thus far

however when you watch Nico (like how Ive always seen Lafreniere), even when he isnt on the score sheet he is making a difference with his presence (in Nico's case defense in transition).

Lafreniere has a decent bit more scoring potential than Hischier so I dont think he will receive as much criticism. Though I find them both to be championship-pedigree players who do whatever you need every shift, while the Stuetzle and Pettersson types are good for points but then arent exactly strong in other areas (people claim Pettersson is strong defensively but I really dont see it when I watch him)

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I think due to his intangibles and rounded game people underestimate how skilled Laf is too, watch highlights of junior and he's scoring between the legs goals and all sorts of crazy stuff, also has great cellys. He has some flash to his game too

Yeah that stuff is all there but its really a tool that he pulls out only if he needs it.

Crosby is the same way. Dudes got hands and dangles for days, but he isn't going to put them on display just because he can. They're a means to an end.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Crosby started his rookie season with a 6 game point streak with 9 points
Ovechkin started his rookie season with a 8 game point streak with 10 points
Matthews debuted with 4 goals and 10 points in 6 games.
meanwhile
Stamkos 0 points in 15 of his first 17 games.
I'm still holding my breath for Laf to show us his jam.
Also really hoping Gauthier gets his first NHL goal soon.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
meanwhile
We can discuss Matthews, but Lareniere is not on the level of a Crosby or Ovechkin.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
meanwhile
i feel like Gauthier pings the iron every game. Still, gonna be hard for him to break the seal with 8 mins per game.

As for Laf, i've resigned myself that the Rangers will never be allowed to have a teenage phenom to get hyped about. He'll be good but its gonna be a slow start.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Lafreniere was said to be the best since Matthews.

No doubt he's not Crosby or Ovechkin level but something is off when Kakko and Lafreniere, both billed as more NHL ready than the average bear, are struggling to show up on the stat sheet consistently.

Yeah it's just three games but Svechnikov averaged 0.45 ppg his rookie year. Hischier averaged 0.63. Laine averaged 0.88. Eichel averaged 0.69. Mackinnon averaged 0.77. RNH averaged 0.55. Huberdeau averaged 0.65. Taylor Hall averaged 0.65.

Kakko was 0.35 and so far Lafreniere has a goose egg. He doesn't look like he's about to put up in excess of a half a point per game which would really be my expectation.

Yes Seguin and Barkov are lower outliers but what, we just happen to nab two of the only not NHL ready to contribute players picked in the top 2 in the last decade or so?

Something smells. And I suspect it's their usage or instruction.

Last edited:

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
I'm worried about Kakko but 3 games is way too early to be worried about Laf

It's too early in and of itself but I'm beginning to wonder about Quinn's development of these guys. His "success stories," to date with our young talent have been getting the older "kids," most of whom did not get traction under Vigneault, to find some footing -- Buch, DeAngelo, Fox (not here under Vigneault obviously).

His record with the under-20 kids is kinda starting to look alarming: Lias underachieved, Kravtsov underachieved, Kakko underachieved, Lafreniere was supposed to be instant impact on a near-Matthews or MacKinnon level and doesn't look like it yet, etc.

I am not advocating firing him. But the time for serious questions has arrived and he's gonna need to start providing answers; because his track record does not match expectation or the reality many other places in the league.

Maybe he has a legit explanation? Is his answer that that he expects more defensive responsibility that can only come when the body and mind mature from experience, and thus that is why the guys who are more like 22-23 and over like Buch and ADA are "getting it," in his system, whereas the kids are looking lost?

It's not unreasonable to start demanding some information here. Our rebuild rests almost entirely on Kakko and Lafreniere turning into 70-80+ point per year players. If Quinn isn't going to be able to get them there, it's panic time.

Three games in; one point between Kakko and Lafreniere. Not good enough.

It BETTER be showing signs of improvement on the stat sheet by midseason; and midseason comes quick.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
View attachment 385174 View attachment 385175 An intangible of Lafreniere’s that has really struck me:

He really loves the game, he loves to win and it’s all about the team.

Just look at all of the pictures and videos after the goals he was on the ice for. He is SO genuinely happy for his teammates and that his team just scored a goal.

By looking at his face you would’ve thought they won the game in OT. And this without even getting a point on the scoresheet yet.

What this reminds of was how Messier and Graves used to talk about the Oilers during the latter portions of their dynasty and how part of being so successful was because everyone was genuinely happy for one another after a goal. It showed the closeness and selflessness of the team

I couldn’t help but think of that when seeing Laf. This kid is a born leader and he just wants to win. Seeing him on the bench before the game it is completely evident how much this kid loves the game. We are very lucky to have him.

He's still a rookie and he's going to have to go through that especially with grown men already on the team, but yeah he's no softie and good to see him be a team guy. Time to be a little selfish with the puck. We definitely want to see the points as well.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Lafreniere was said to be the best since Matthews.

No doubt he's not Crosby or Ovechkin level but something is off when Kakko and Lafreniere, both billed as more NHL ready than the average bear, are struggling to show up on the stat sheet consistently.

Yeah it's just three games but Svechnikov averaged 0.45 ppg his rookie year. Hischier averaged 0.63. Laine averaged 0.88. Eichel averaged 0.69. Mackinnon averaged 0.77. RNH averaged 0.55. Huberdeau averaged 0.65. Taylor Hall averaged 0.65.

Kakko was 0.35 and so far Lafreniere has a goose egg. He doesn't look like he's about to put up in excess of a half a point per game which would really be my expectation.

Yes Seguin and Barkov are lower outliers but what, we just happen to nab two of the only not NHL ready to contribute players picked in the top 2 in the last decade or so?

Something smells. And I suspect it's their usage or instruction.
it's their usage. kakko and laf get like no quality pp time at all.

Reactions: GeorgeKaplan

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
I think the better question is, who DIDN'T say that Kakko and Lafreniere were two of the better prospects to come out in years?

Everyone agrees Lafreniere was not on the Crosby or McDavid tier.

But everything else seemed to indicate that he was either at the MacKinnon/Matthews tier OR a half step below it.

But above, way, way above guys like Hischier, Hughes, Hall, etc.

Kakko also was generally regarded as a close-to-tossup with Hughes, but better than Hischier/Hall who went 1OA, and definitely on par or better with a lot of guys who've gone second, ie, roughly Svechnikov/Barkov/Laine, better than Patrick, Reinhart, Landeskog, etc.

Reactions: Harbour Dog

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
I think the better question is, who DIDN'T say that Kakko and Lafreniere were two of the better prospects to come out in years?

Everyone agrees Lafreniere was not on the Crosby or McDavid tier.

But everything else seemed to indicate that he was either at the MacKinnon/Matthews tier OR a half step below it.

But above, way, way above guys like Hischier, Hughes, Hall, etc.

Kakko also was generally regarded as a close-to-tossup with Hughes, but better than Hischier/Hall who went 1OA, and definitely on par or better with a lot of guys who've gone second, ie, roughly Svechnikov/Barkov/Laine, better than Patrick, Reinhart, Landeskog, etc.
I think you're overreacting with Lafreniere right now. And I tried to warn everyone that Kakko could take a few years to get going (and that Hughes was better) and no one wanted to hear it because he played alright in the WC

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I get the alarm to some extent and understand that Quinn is the scapegoat so far this year but the fact is one of Laf or Kakko is playing with Panarin, who is the best offensive player on the team, and neither is close to as good as Buch or a Kreider is today so they’re rightly not getting onto that top line.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
For them to get quality PP time, they would need to play on the top PP unit. Who is supposed to cone out so that they can go in?
Agreed been saying this for a year now you can put pretty much whoever you want on the second pp unit when most of the time they have about 10 seconds of pp time left by the time they get in the zone and set up.
My hope is by some miracle Lafreniere or Kakko get some serious first pp looks sooner rather than later

WojtekWolski86

Nov 14, 2019
Strome is holding back AL not only on the even strength line but he is blocking him on the PP. Its one thing because Strome is better on the PP, its a whole 'nother reason to keep Strome on PP1 just because of continuity of last year when you've pretty much nuked every line with except of KBZ.

Just look at some of the give and go passing Bread and AL were doing, then they give the puck to Strome and the puck turns into a grenade. PP1 needs a LH shot so bad. I don't mind rotating Kreids into the slot every now and again (it almost worked) but teams are just going to stack the LW hard because of Panarin and Ziba which will give AL tons of space for 1ters or just be creative. Heck it will open up the cross seam even more which is difficult to pass through as a RH shot. Strome literally has to skate out of the zone and loop back in order to get any momentum for a shot, its so predictable.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Can we just put this kid back at LW?!
That’s where he’s comfortable at. I rather switch kreider to the third line if the reason why Lafreniere is RW is to play on a top line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad