Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft 19th Overall Pick, Braden Schneider, D

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I have to say that both Gauthier and Kravtsov are unproven NHL players but that Vitali has a lot higher upside than Julien. As for Howden/Gauthier depending on off season moves it wouldn’t surprise me if neither made next year’s team or if either were spare forwards.

The Rangers do need some of their forwards to take on penalty killing duties. The four main ones last year were Zibanejad, Buchnevich, Howden and Rooney with Strome and Blackwell helping out sometimes and Barron as a very late season addition. Some of these guys might not be around next year for any number of reasons. If Gauthier is still here—diversifying his game is how he helps himself. IMO we don’t need point production from him as much as Julien rounding out a 200’ game.

Reactions: JCProdigy

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
How so? It's essentially a trade of prospects so this argument cuts both ways. The Rangers give up more because stud C prospects are extremely difficult to acquire and to give the Panthers a reason to pull the trigger...
Krav is already an NHL player, he’s way less of a prospect than Lundell. Rangers aren’t making that trade. If they were it would be for a guy who is already in the NHL playing center. Regardless this isn’t the thread for this and I’m sorry I even brought it up here.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
The Trouba and Kreider contracts are gonna hurt.

We’re going to have kids blowing through their entire ELC in Hartford when we’re supposed to be maximizing ELC value. I like both guys and I’m not saying either contract was a mistake AT the time it was signed, but hindsight is 20/20 and Kreider with the subsequent flat cap and winning 1OA and Trouba with the emergence of Fox and development of Lundkvist/Schneider on the right (even taking DeAngelo off the board). It’s a lot of cheddar tied up in guys who are soon to be redundant.
There isn’t a snowballs chance in hell Schneider or Lundkvist or Robertson or Jones for that matter spend their entire ELC in the AHL. A trade would take place before that would happen. They aren’t going to stash them their just cause there are players in front of them.
1. It’s bad for their development once they prove they belong and fine tune their skills in the A..
2. By letting an asset just sit like that instead of using it to upgrade a weakness on the big club is poor asset evaluation.
3. How long does it take for one of them to become disgruntled and have their Agent demand a trade out of the organization once they show they have the skill to play in the NHL full time? That’s not good for the player or the organization

Let’s take Schneider just as an example, he’s already got an NHL body and attitude. He has some games already in the AHL where he has not looked out of place coming off of being one of if not the best D in the WHL. Nils comes in this year and NYR gives him the 3rd D spot. The year goes by and Schneider plays really well in the A fine tuning his game and has an excellent season.
Now it’s next offseason, Schneider is chomping at the bit to get in the league. He’s proved he’s got the goods, but he’s blocked by 3 players in the NHL. One with a NMC for 2 more seasons, one is Adam Jesus Fox, and the Third is the rangers golden boy as far as prospects go. Do you think he is going to be happy to sit on his hands in Hartford for 2 more years? How is that better for his career?
He wants in the NHL so bad he can taste it. He got nothing left to prove. If you keep him there, you run the risk of stunting his development and ruining a prized asset or ostracizing him to the point he he demands a trade so he can break in the league elsewhere. No kid, once he proves he belongs, is going to sit and wait his turn for 3 years. It usually doesn’t happen like that. Especially these kids who come highly touted out of the first Rd. Schneider has already been projected by a lot of scouts to be ready for NHL duty sooner rather then later. I’m going around Harvey’s barn a little bit here, but the point I’m trying to make is there will be a trade of 1 of these 2 guys before it ever gets to that point. It’s far more likely 1 is dealt, and then when Trouba’s NMC is a NTC, the one that stays is bumped up and ready for top 4 minutes with Fox then the other scenario of 1 prized guy sitting on his hands in Hartford hoping that the rangers maybe deal trouba before his contract ends so he can finally break into a league he’s been ready for, for the better part of 2 years already. It’s just not logical or realistic

Last edited:
Reactions: leetch99

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Krav is already an NHL player, he’s way less of a prospect than Lundell. Rangers aren’t making that trade. If they were it would be for a guy who is already in the NHL playing center. Regardless this isn’t the thread for this and I’m sorry I even brought it up here.

Krav for Lundell probably works but not adding one of our "stud D prospects."

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
There isn’t a snowballs chance in hell Schneider or Lundkvist or Robertson or Jones for that matter spend their entire ELC in the AHL. A trade would take place before that would happen. They aren’t going to stash them their just cause there are players in front of them.
1. It’s bad for their development once they prove they belong and fine tune their skills in the A..
2. By letting an asset just sit like that instead of using it to upgrade a weakness on the big club is poor asset evaluation.
3. How long does it take for one of them to become disgruntled and have their Agent demand a trade out of the organization once they show they have the skill to play in the NHL full time? That’s not good for the player or the organization

Let’s take Schneider just as an example, he’s already got an NHL body and attitude. He has some games already in the AHL where he has not looked out of place coming off of being one of if not the best D in the WHL. Nils comes in this year and NYR gives him the 3rd D spot. The year goes by and Schneider plays really well in the A fine tuning his game and has an excellent season.
Now it’s next offseason, Schneider is chomping at the bit to get in the league. He’s proved he’s got the goods, but he’s blocked by 3 players in the NHL. One with a NMC for 2 more seasons, one is Adam Jesus Fox, and the Third is the rangers golden boy as far as prospects go. Do you think he is going to be happy to sit on his hands in Hartford for 2 more years? How is that better for his career?
He wants in the NHL so bad he can taste it. He got nothing left to prove. If you keep him there, you run the risk of stunting his development and ruining a prized asset or ostracizing him to the point he he demands a trade so he can break in the league elsewhere. No kid, once he proves he belongs, is going to sit and wait his turn for 3 years. It usually doesn’t happen like that. Especially these kids who come highly touted out of the first Rd. Schneider has already been projected by a lot of scouts to be ready for NHL duty sooner rather then later. I’m going around Harvey’s barn a little bit here, but the point I’m trying to make is there will be a trade of 1 of these 2 guys before it ever gets to that point. It’s far more likely 1 is dealt, and then when Trouba’s NMC is a NTC, the one that stays is bumped up and ready for top 4 minutes with Fox then the other scenario of 1 prized guy sitting on his hands in Hartford hoping that the rangers maybe deal trouba before his contract ends so he can finally break into a league he’s been ready for, for the better part of 2 years already. It’s just not logical or realistic
I'm all for trying any of our RHD at LHD.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I'm all for trying any of our RHD at LHD.
Theres definitely a possibility of doing that. But we are also creeping towards a place where we are going to have too many guys at LD and not enough spots as well.
Imo Robertson, KAM, and Jones are all NHL players. And Lindgren isn’t going anywhere soon....it’s a tough call for sure

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
Theres definitely a possibility of doing that. But we are also creeping towards a place where we are going to have too many guys at LD and not enough spots as well.
Imo Robertson, KAM, and Jones are all NHL players. And Lindgren isn’t going anywhere soon....it’s a tough call for sure
I sell high on Jones asap. KAM is a unique talent and Robertson looks to be an under the radar solid defenseman. I'd rather keep Fox and Nils over Jones. The real question is can we hold onto guys long enough to trade Trouba.

Lindgren(26)-Fox(26)
Miller(24)-Nils(23)
Robertson(23)-Schneider(22)

would be filthy in 2-3 years.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I sell high on Jones asap. KAM is a unique talent and Robertson looks to be an under the radar solid defenseman. I'd rather keep Fox and Nils over Jones. The real question is can we hold onto guys long enough to trade Trouba.

Lindgren(26)-Fox(26)
Miller(24)-Nils(23)

Nils, Schneider and Robertson will all be RFA in 2024 when Trouba's NMC turns into a limited NTC. Only Lundkvist will be arbitration eligible out of the 3.

Reactions: Fitzy

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
Happens all the time in basketball, not in hockey. What's your point?

That said, Schneider never really had a role on this team, which is unfortunate but not unforseen. It was still a good experience.
If the NHL started allowing 20 skaters to be dressed you would want them all to get legit ice time?

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Happens all the time in basketball, not in hockey. What's your point?

That said, Schneider never really had a role on this team, which is unfortunate but not unforseen. It was still a good experience.

Spending 2 weeks in Latvia is a great experience on a personal level, add international hockey to that and we should just be glad our prospect with 0 NHL minutes was even invited.

Zac Jones traveled to Italy, Sweden, Slovakia and Germany previously for hockey tournaments and he told me that the best thing about it was just the experience of being in a new place, having to rely on yourself for certain things.

I'm sure he feels the same way about his latest trip to Latvia. It's just a bonus for these kids to even be playing in these highly ranked tournaments.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008

Lindgren(26)-Fox(26)
Miller(24)-Nils(23)

Switch Schneider and nils or vice versa and I’m on board. I don’t think Trouba plans on going anywhere soon. I’m not sure they want him to either. I know he gets dumped on cause he makes 8 mill a year but he’s not old, and he’s a very important player for us. A pretty damn good 1 too

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Kravtsov may have passed Kakko in his short stint here in the depth chart, not sure why people are lumping him in with Gauthier.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
If the NHL started allowing 20 skaters to be dressed you would want them all to get legit ice time?
No, I don't think it's a big deal that he didn't play much. As I said it was still a good experience. I just think that your basketball analogy wasn't apples to apples.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad