HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
WHL D-men, sorted by +/-

upload_2021-6-1_18-0-57.png

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
hopefully we don’t award 5-7 year contracts to these vets so we can keep these kids.

i think we are all looking to the Trouba no trade expiring in 3 years then he’s hopefully moveable

some kids are going to be in the AHL

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
The Trouba and Kreider contracts are gonna hurt.

We’re going to have kids blowing through their entire ELC in Hartford when we’re supposed to be maximizing ELC value. I like both guys and I’m not saying either contract was a mistake AT the time it was signed, but hindsight is 20/20 and Kreider with the subsequent flat cap and winning 1OA and Trouba with the emergence of Fox and development of Lundkvist/Schneider on the right (even taking DeAngelo off the board). It’s a lot of cheddar tied up in guys who are soon to be redundant.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
The Trouba and Kreider contracts are gonna hurt.

We’re going to have kids blowing through their entire ELC in Hartford when we’re supposed to be maximizing ELC value. I like both guys and I’m not saying either contract was a mistake AT the time it was signed, but hindsight is 20/20 and Kreider with the subsequent flat cap and winning 1OA and Trouba with the emergence of Fox and development of Lundkvist/Schneider on the right (even taking DeAngelo off the board). It’s a lot of cheddar tied up in guys who are soon to be redundant.

I disliked the Kreider extension when it was announced. I didn't agree with it, unlike the Trouba contract. That one was fine at the time. Their NMCs expire in 3 years and turn into a limited NTC.

A player spending his entire ELC in Hartford isn't the worst thing either, it just means their second contract will be cheaper

Reactions: dapowl

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I disliked the Kreider extension when it was announced. I didn't agree with it, unlike the Trouba contract. That one was fine at the time. Their NMCs expire in 3 years and turn into a limited NTC.

A player spending his entire ELC in Hartford isn't the worst thing either, it just means their second contract will be cheaper

I wasn’t thrilled with it either, but to avoid bashing heads with people who are still very pro Kreider, I won’t call it as being bad at that time. It was a 50:50 moment, I guess. I personally wasn’t a fan, but there was no way of foreseeing the next two developments.

Spending a full ELC in Hartford isn’t terrible and could lead to a cheap second contract but it also means you’re not contributing on an ELC while guys like Kakko are on their bridge deals. We want as many young guys (assuming their play dictates it) contributing on the big club at the same time as possible.

Reactions: leetch99

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
...going to have kids blowing through their entire ELC in Hartford...

...A player spending his entire ELC in Hartford isn't the worst thing either, it just means their second contract will be cheaper

the kids will get their call-ups, teams experience attrition, you need ~16 Fs and 9 D to get through a normal-length season.
It's not the regulars that block the kids opportunities, its the marginal journeymen,
when you have too many of them, and give them the fill-in opportunities.
Brodzinski, PDG, that was ok last because Barron was a rookie pro, but not next, please.
Same at D, last season maybe to was ok to have Johnson, Smith, Bitetto, but next season needs more wiggle room for (all those) young D;
This past season had extenuating circumstances, with need to get Blackwell/Bitetto GP to meet Seattle required exposure.
NYR roster will sort itself out, and btw I am on the side of keeping all 4 of Nils, Jones, Schneider, Robertson, for a year or 2 before choosing...

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
the kids will get their call-ups, teams experience attrition, you need ~16 Fs and 9 D to get through a normal-length season.
It's not the regulars that block the kids opportunities, its the marginal journeymen,
when you have too many of them, and give them the fill-in opportunities.
Brodzinski, PDG, that was ok last because Barron was a rookie pro, but not next, please.
Same at D, last season maybe to was ok to have Johnson, Smith, Bitetto, but next season needs more wiggle room for (all those) young D;
This past season had extenuating circumstances, with need to get Blackwell/Bitetto GP to meet Seattle required exposure.
NYR roster will sort itself out, and btw I am on the side of keeping all 4 of Nils, Jones, Schneider, Robertson, for a year or 2 before choosing...

Looking at the Islanders one might ask if Martin, Clutterbuck and Komarov have been blocking the likes of Dal Colle, Bellows and Ho Sang—all former 1st round picks. It’s to say that if Kravtsov or Gauthier can’t fight their way onto the top three lines they’re wasted on the 4th because we really need another type of player there and probably more grinding than the Di Giuseppe’s or Blackwell’s.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
I would explore trading Kravtsov + one of the stud D prospects for Lundell (assuming the team signs Buch). Or two of the D studs instead of Kravy and round the trade out as necessary. Even if the price is steep, I think the trade would be a good fit for both teams. Lack of defensive depth killed the Panthers in the playoffs and their D prospect pool is thin. Lundell is 100% an impact two way C, exactly what is missing in the Ranger's prospect pool.

Reactions: LokiDog

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Looking at the Islanders one might ask if Martin, Clutterbuck and Komarov have been blocking the likes of Dal Colle, Bellows and Ho Sang—all former 1st round picks. It’s to say that if Kravtsov or Gauthier can’t fight their way onto the top three lines they’re wasted on the 4th because we really need another type of player there and probably more grinding than the Di Giuseppe’s or Blackwell’s.
actually we don't much disagree, i just maybe wrote unclearly,
i wasn't saying 4th liners are the issue - note I did not call out Rooney
when attrition happens in top 9/5, during regular season, that's an opportunity
to give deserving prospects a shot, in the role they are hoped to earn,
for them to learn, and for the team to evaluate their readiness, and areas to improve.
That is what i hope happens next year for Barron/Gauth/Paju/Richards,Ruesch/Khodo, and for those among Tarmo/Schneider/Roberston/Lundkvist/Jones/Skinner, who start season as DNPs or in AHL

Reactions: eco's bones

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018

you can't block busts.

Trouba didn't block Fox from stealing his bread and butter. Kakko worked his ass off this year, and he moved up the lines.

Gauthier didn't earn anything with his play.

Kravtsov is just in a weird spot, coming over to the NHL after 2/3s of it was played (and roster spots already filled), so no judgment on him yet. The DiGi and Blackwells won't be on the team next year.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
you can't block busts.

Trouba didn't block Fox from stealing his bread and butter. Kakko worked his ass off this year, and he moved up the lines.

Gauthier didn't earn anything with his play.

Kravtsov is just in a weird spot, coming over to the NHL after 2/3s of it was played (and roster spots already filled), so no judgment on him yet. The DiGi and Blackwells won't be on the team next year.

He earned more than Lemieux and Howden but he didn't get it.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
He earned more than Lemieux and Howden but he didn't get it.

he definitely had brain farts at times but the guy looks 100% the player in the offensive zone than the guys you mentioned...drives me nuts when a coach won't let an obviously skilled guy like that work his into learning the finer details and instead benches him at a stiff breeze

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
I would explore trading Kravtsov + one of the stud D prospects for Lundell (assuming the team signs Buch). Or two of the D studs instead of Kravy and round the trade out as necessary. Even if the price is steep, I think the trade would be a good fit for both teams. Lack of defensive depth killed the Panthers in the playoffs and their D prospect pool is thin. Lundell is 100% an impact two way C, exactly what is missing in the Ranger's prospect pool.
Way too much to give up for a promising prospect who hasn't played a day in the NHL.

Reactions: Nickmo82

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
Howden was 3rd among forwards in PK TOI/gp. The 6th WR is better at football than the long snapper but the long snapper gets the roster spot.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Way too much to give up for a promising prospect who hasn't played a day in the NHL.

How so? It's essentially a trade of prospects so this argument cuts both ways. The Rangers give up more because stud C prospects are extremely difficult to acquire and to give the Panthers a reason to pull the trigger...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad