Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft 19th Overall Pick, Braden Schneider, D

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Deleted already

Upcoming special looking inside the Rangers "war room."

The clip focused on Schneider --- the Rangers watching him fall, Bobrov talking about taking him without hesitation at 15, JD talking about similar players on winning teams, talk about coming with the top pick and a top 4 defenseman being a hell of a first day.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Just saw the video. It was still playing on a phone so I was able to record it.

JD: At 15 we should take Schneider
CM: All day
JD: Character, muscle and when you saw this year's play offs, those types of D, every team that had them, made them work, made them win. Every team down the stretch had those guys
CM: If you walk out of the draft with the best player and a top-4 defenseman after the first day, I'm jumping up and down

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
The way Rangers D is coming along I'd be for dressing 8 defenseman and only 10 forwards, or petition NHL to be allowed to dress 22 players. :naughty:

I'm all for 2 extra players. Makes the game better. Players wealthier. Timing may be an issue with salary dilution, you do something like this when you are back on the growth curve. So something like this would make more sense in a post covid recovry world a few years down the line.

When you need a power play goal and you have a rockstar on the PP that can't be out there 5 v 5? Well that's another National league contract. Let's say a guy like Zdeno Chara can and wants to play at 50, but just kill penalties and go on cup runs? There's another NHL contract.

It adds more wealth to the players, more weapons to coaches (and job security if you think about it). More strategy to the game, and more prosperity all around.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003

JD: Character, muscle and when you saw this year's play offs, those types of D, every team that had them, made them work, made them win. Every team down the stretch had those guys
CM: If you walk out of the draft with the best player and a top-4 defenseman after the first day, I'm jumping up and down
At 15?

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

Why am I drawing a blank as to who CM is?

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
You very well may be right about that.

Having attended the last few drafts, and focusing a lot on the tables in the arena, I can only imagine how many deals fall through at the last moment. We only hear about the deals that have gone through of course, but through some insiders we hear about trade calls made that weren't successful.

Going by what happened at pick 15, and now this video, I am convinced Gorton was the one on the phone with Dubas. But I can understand Gorton not willing to part with more than a 3rd to move up and from 22 to 15, a 3rd rounder is not going to cut it

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I'm all for 2 extra players. ..

It adds more wealth to the players, more weapons to coaches (and job security if you think about it). More strategy to the game, and more prosperity all around.

And would go straight to owners pockets who then would look to players for recompensation via CBA. And this is where / when this ask would die.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Having attended the last few drafts, and focusing a lot on the tables in the arena, I can only imagine how many deals fall through at the last moment. We only hear about the deals that have gone through of course, but through some insiders we hear about trade calls made that weren't successful.

Going by what happened at pick 15, and now this video, I am convinced Gorton was the one on the phone with Dubas. But I can understand Gorton not willing to part with more than a 3rd to move up and from 22 to 15, a 3rd rounder is not going to cut it

It might have cut both ways - Toronto might have really liked Amirov (looks like a good call too)

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
It might have cut both ways - Toronto might have really liked Amirov (looks like a good call too)

Yeah. We don't know which of the two it is. Did they pull out because their guy was still there (Amirov)? Or did the Rangers back away because Toronto asked for too much? We will never know but it's fun to speculate

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Yeah. We don't know which of the two it is. Did they pull out because their guy was still there (Amirov)? Or did the Rangers back away because Toronto asked for too much? We will never know but it's fun to speculate

We talked about going from 22 to 19 costing a 3rd rounder was market - not an exuberant price to pay. From 22 to 15 it would've been an underpayment and wouldn't be surprising if Toronto quickly turned it down if it was an offer). The Ranger didn't have a 2nd rounder at a time so I wonder if they stuck to their guns with a 3rd, offered 3rd and something else or made a completely different offer - 1st and Andersson?

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
We talked about going from 22 to 19 costing a 3rd rounder was market - not an exuberant price to pay. From 22 to 15 it would've been an underpayment and wouldn't be surprising if Toronto quickly turned it down if it was an offer). The Ranger didn't have a 2nd rounder at a time so I wonder if they stuck to their guns with a 3rd, offered 3rd and something else or made a completely different offer - 1st and Andersson?

Yeah, it's possible they wanted more. But why did the Rangers delete the tweet? Did they accidentally use footage they weren't supposed to use?

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I REALLY hope we get more of these videos.

Love seeing the behind the scenes stuff at the draft. If it's Rangers behind the scenes, even better.

Other teams have done it already in the past. Chicago in 2017 when they hosted, Carolina in 2018 when they had the 2nd overall pick (Inside the Storm, 4 episodes on YT). I've been waiting for the Rangers to create this type of content for years.

Reactions: Hi ImHFNYR

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I'm all for 2 extra players. Makes the game better. Players wealthier. Timing may be an issue with salary dilution, you do something like this when you are back on the growth curve. So something like this would make more sense in a post covid recovry world a few years down the line.

When you need a power play goal and you have a rockstar on the PP that can't be out there 5 v 5? Well that's another National league contract. Let's say a guy like Zdeno Chara can and wants to play at 50, but just kill penalties and go on cup runs? There's another NHL contract.

I’d like that too but don’t you think they’d just expand the league before they expanded rosters? Just talking practically.

Last edited:
Reactions: bl02 and Hi ImHFNYR

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad