NFL: 2020 NFL off-season news & notes discussion thread (Cowboys & Texans players have COVID-19)

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
I pro

I probably misread what you wrote honestly...everyone piling on the dude has me riled up...you wont find a much better human being in the NFL than Drew Brees in all honesty...
All the stupidity that this travesty has brought on is driving me nuts...like ffs i live in the boonies in Canada and we are preparing for protests over a bad cop in Minnesota, and that's literally all it was
now the SJW crowd has gotten ahold of it and want to make it about something completely different than what it is...it should be a discussion about police tactics when it comes to subduing a suspect...not about GD black vs white in America
It's not about one bad cop in Minnesota.... it's about 200 years of systemic racism in the US. Floyd's murder is just the final straw for many people who have witnessed dozens of unjustified killings of black people by the police. And to paraphrase Aaron Rodgers it's never been about kneeling to protest the anthem, flag or troops; it's to draw attention to inequality in America. For Brees to say what he did without some sort of qualification means he doesn't ever listen to the majority of his teammates which is sad.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
What puzzles me about this Brees thing is, didn't he make his opinion known on the anthem kneeling during the initial fiasco? Why is this such a revelation now? It's obviously even more tone-deaf to say it publicly now but I can't believe his teammates didn't know he felt this way already.

It’s an emotional time and week for one. If the anthem is a very personal time for him, that’s all he had to say more or less. The core issue was that after all of this time was that he saw it as disrespect to the flag which is a misappropriation the message.

Saints players have a previously scheduled zoom meeting today, I guess we know the first item on the agenda.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
It’s an emotional time and week for one. If the anthem is a very personal time for him, that’s all he had to say more or less. The core issue was that after all of this time was that he saw it as disrespect to the flag which is a misappropriation the message.

Saints players have a previously scheduled zoom meeting today, I guess we know the first item on the agenda.

Bingo.

Reactions: TheGooooch

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
People defending Brees in this thread lol gtfo here.

What an absolutely moronic statement to make. How you can be so tone deaf is unbelievable.

lol grow tf up instead? I mean if you want to play this game let's play it...you are more likely to be killed by a cop as a white man than a black man in the USA, statistics prove this fact yet every time a white man is killed by cops it's not even in the news much less do they riot and burn sht down...it's got nothing to do with tone...it's about living in the real world and not some fantasy land where all white cops are out to get black people...that's tone deaf...and pretty GD racist as well.
I think we all agree this cop should be at minimum in jail for the rest of his life for his callous disregard for George Floyd's life, to try to turn this into some conversation on race is basically using a tragedy to further your own agenda...aside from the fact there is nothing that lends any credibility to the idea this cop was a racist, stop using your feelings and stick with real life and the facts...it'll serve you better

Reactions: Voight

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
What puzzles me about this Brees thing is, didn't he make his opinion known on the anthem kneeling during the initial fiasco? Why is this such a revelation now? It's obviously even more tone-deaf to say it publicly now but I can't believe his teammates didn't know he felt this way already.

This confuses me as well.

His team mates should lay off; he has a right to freedom of speech even if they don't agree with it. I personally know some service members that find it disrespectful, doesn't mean all service members/veterans do.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
lol grow tf up instead? I mean if you want to play this game let's play it...you are more likely to be killed by a cop as a white man than a black man in the USA, statistics prove this fact yet every time a white man is killed by cops it's not even in the news much less do they riot and burn sht down...it's got nothing to do with tone...it's about living in the real world and not some fantasy land where all white cops are out to get black people...that's tone deaf...and pretty GD racist as well.
I think we all agree this cop should be at minimum in jail for the rest of his life for his callous disregard for George Floyd's life, to try to turn this into some conversation on race is basically using a tragedy to further your own agenda...aside from the fact there is nothing that lends any credibility to the idea this cop was a racist, stop using your feelings and stick with real life and the facts...it'll serve you better
If you don't think this is about race you're not paying attention. I also want to see a source for your first claim as I think that is highly unlikely. There are roughly ~6-7 times as many white people as black people in the U.S, is there 6-7 times as many white people being killed by cops?

Nobody is saying all cops are out to get black people, strawman.

hrr durr 'facts over feelings' when you don't even know the facts. Continue to ignore the systemic racism embedded in society and continue to watch riots like this happen. It's not going to stop.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
It's not about one bad cop in Minnesota.... it's about 200 years of systemic racism in the US. Floyd's murder is just the final straw for many people who have witnessed dozens of unjustified killings of black people by the police. And to paraphrase Aaron Rodgers it's never been about kneeling to protest the anthem, flag or troops; it's to draw attention to inequality in America. For Brees to say what he did without some sort of qualification means he doesn't ever listen to the majority of his teammates which is sad.

Aaron Rodgers opinion isn't one I hold in high regard, and I mean let's play the inequality game while we are at it...the US is so bad that it has a ton of minority millionaires who can speak out without fear of disappearing or even having violence brought on them...just to use an example...Apartheid South Africa (Real Racism) do you think the Afrikaners allowed a single black man to be wealthy or even have their voices be heard...not a snowballs chance in H-E-double hockey sticks. Is the USA perfect, hell no are they as racist as everyone wants to claim also Hell no
The funny part is a majority of whites in the states are in the same position as a majority of the black population

This isn't about racism it's about bad policing and their tactics they use to subdue suspects. it's fine if you disagree and it's nothing against you personally or anyone else here, I just prefer to live in the real world and not in a fantasy world where Whitey is out to get the black community

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
If you don't think this is about race you're not paying attention. I also want to see a source for your first claim as I think that is highly unlikely. There are roughly ~6-7 times as many white people as black people in the U.S, is there 6-7 times as many white people being killed by cops?

Nobody is saying all cops are out to get black people, strawman.

hrr durr 'facts over feelings' when you don't even know the facts. Continue to ignore the systemic racism embedded in society and continue to watch riots like this happen. It's not going to stop.

Actually if you listen to BLM that's exactly what they are saying go listen to Tamika Mallory and get back to me.
Systemic racism lol, dude I live in the poorest part of our country and I barely scrape out a living are you honestly gonna tell me i'm privileged? because if this is privilege then i will happily trade it away

by the way here...just for 2020 as an example, like I said earlier, this isn't personal and it's a simple disagreement with what reality is
This is a conversation about police brutality that needs to be had, not racism

People shot to death by U.S. police, by race 2020 | Statista

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Actually if you listen to BLM that's exactly what they are saying go listen to Tamika Mallory and get back to me.
Systemic racism lol, dude I live in the poorest part of our country and I barely scrape out a living are you honestly gonna tell me i'm privileged? because if this is privilege then i will happily trade it away

by the way here...just for 2020 as an example, like I said earlier, this isn't personal and it's a simple disagreement with what reality is
This is a conversation about police brutality that needs to be had, not racism

People shot to death by U.S. police, by race 2020 | Statista
So you essentially proved my point, you don't know the facts. 6-7 times as many white Americans, only less than twice as many are killed by cops than black Americans. Ergo, the proportion of black people killed is much higher.

You are privileged from being born white. That does not mean you don't struggle and that your struggle is not real. It means you never have to worry about being discriminated against based upon the colour of your skin (assuming you are white). You don't have to worry about being pulled over cause you're white. You don't have to worry about people thinking you're a threat because you're white.

BLM is not claiming every cop is out to get white people, they are claiming that the system is complicit. Cops are not reprimanded properly for their actions, and there is a culture of 'protect the badge' over anything else. If you don't think that is real then I don't know what to tell you. We just watched 3 cops be complicit in a man being murdered. If it wasn't on video what do you think would have happened?

Reactions: WeThreeKings

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
So you essentially proved my point, you don't know the facts. 6-7 times as many white Americans, only less than twice as many are killed by cops than black Americans. Ergo, the proportion of black people killed is much higher.

You are privileged from being born white. That does not mean you don't struggle and that your struggle is not real. It means you never have to worry about being discriminated against based upon the colour of your skin (assuming you are white). You don't have to worry about being pulled over cause you're white. You don't have to worry about people thinking you're a threat because you're white.

BLM is not claiming every cop is out to get white people, they are claiming that the system is complicit. Cops are not reprimanded properly for their actions, and there is a culture of 'protect the badge' over anything else. If you don't think that is real then I don't know what to tell you. We just watched 3 cops be complicit in a man being murdered. If it wasn't on video what do you think would have happened?

Well we found a spot where we do agree(I figured there would be at least a couple)...this protect the badge crap is a blight on police forces and their ability to constructively interact with the communities they police...I am 100% with you there. I mean we could go into crime statistics and why the black community tends to have more interaction with police than the white community if you want to, and yes I am willing to bet there is some stereotyping going on which just adds to it (which let me be clear I am 100% against, I don't care about how much melanin you have in your skin, you treat me with respect I treat you with respect personally) and yes I am white...I glow in the dark to be exact lol :P (Ginger lucky me)...and just to finish the thought, I must be in a minority of whites then because I have been pulled over for "looking sketchy" on more than one occasion or "just to know what i'm doing" it may happen less but don't kid yourself in thinking it doesn't happen

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Your stats are incorrect. You are 3x more likely to be killed by the police as a black than white person.

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick

We can agree that the message tends to get lost once people start rioting though correct? I am all for peaceful protest, and I think it is a great thing that our societies (North America, Europe etc) allow for heck MLK and Ghandi are perfect examples of how peaceful protest can change the world

But I can never be on board with rioting, burning down businesses, beating people in the streets etc...

Reactions: Big Poppa Puck

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
We can agree that the message tends to get lost once people start rioting though correct? I am all for peaceful protest, and I think it is a great thing that our societies (North America, Europe etc) allow for heck MLK and Ghandi are perfect examples of how peaceful protest can change the world

But I can never be on board with rioting, burning down businesses, beating people in the streets etc...
I don't agree with the rioting, but I do understand it to a certain extent. I don't know how I could tell a person who is black how to feel. They have tried peaceful protest many times and are still being discriminated against. I also feel more of it is being done by people outside of the protest who are just using the unrest as an excuse.

I encourage you to seek out people who are black's voices. Have an open mind, it is so easy on the internet to find things that reinforce our previous beliefs. I have been guilty of this as well, it is human nature to not want to be wrong, but being wrong is how we learn.

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick

To be clear, I do appreciate the civil conversation we seem to be having and it does a fck ton more than hollering racist or idiot or whatever other name we could find to call each other (I'm sure we could both come up with some pretty colorful ones) personally it doesn't matter to me if you're native,black,Asian, Caucasian etc...it's good to have these conversations so...thanks

Reactions: JetsWillFly4Ever

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
It's not wrong data, it's misuse of it. 75% of the population identify as white (53% as non-hispanic white).

A reminder though, let's all try to keep the thread about the actual news given the nature of the discussion.

absolutely,

if you're seeing the conversation I am having, it is quite civil and I appreciate anyone who can have this conversation without it devolving into name calling etc, these are conversations that need to be had not just among the "leaders" (I use that term loosely) of the differing racial groups but among the average people as well

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
I don't agree with the rioting, but I do understand it to a certain extent. I don't know how I could tell a person who is black how to feel. They have tried peaceful protest many times and are still being discriminated against. I also feel more of it is being done by people outside of the protest who are just using the unrest as an excuse.

I encourage you to seek out people who are black's voices. Have an open mind, it is so easy on the internet to find things that reinforce our previous beliefs. I have been guilty of this as well, it is human nature to not want to be wrong, but being wrong is how we learn.

oh yeah and on a lighter note lol
Jets suck Go Leafs lol :P

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
absolutely,

if you're seeing the conversation I am having, it is quite civil and I appreciate anyone who can have this conversation without it devolving into name calling etc, these are conversations that need to be had not just among the "leaders" (I use that term loosely) of the differing racial groups but among the average people as well

It's all good, not directed at you specific. It was just worth the reminder given the sensitivity of the topic.

Reactions: JayfromNB1219

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad