HF Habs: 2020 Montreal Canadiens Play-ins are coming Edition Habs vs Pens

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia
I kinda like the lines. It appears the strategy is to try to hold their own with Crosby and Malkin lines or least be somewhat effective and then have better match ups with the 3rd and 4th line.

Reactions: angusyoung

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I don't get it, explain.

It's basically your expected production based on an average of shooting percentage and save percentage. Domi and his linemates (mainly Shaw) were scoring at a high PDO last year. What happens is, once you regress to the mean, your point production falls in line.

Domi would have to create and shoot high percentage shots at a much stronger rate than he was able to last year to ever recreate the 70 pt season that he had.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
It's basically your expected production based on an average of shooting percentage and save percentage. Domi and his linemates (mainly Shaw) were scoring at a high PDO last year. What happens is, once you regress to the mean, your point production falls in line.

Domi would have to create and shoot high percentage shots at a much stronger rate than he was able to last year to ever recreate the 70 pt season that he had.
So, it was basically a fluke is what you are saying? I would look at Domi in an entirely different sense. He came here with something to prove from Phoenix, his dad in a habs jersey and all of the promo stuff showed me that he thrives under the pressure of a Canadian market but once the attention fades, so does his effort. He is like a mini more talented version of Milan Lucic and in my opinion, at least, he would be a playoff warrior, his talents are tied to his heart. I would not trade him, there are others yes but not Domi, he is a heart and soul guy, a second limer yes but very essential on a good team.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
So, it was basically a fluke is what you are saying? I would look at Domi in an entirely different sense. He came here with something to prove from Phoenix, his dad in a habs jersey and all of the promo stuff showed me that he thrives under the pressure of a Canadian market but once the attention fades, so does his effort. He is like a mini more talented version of Milan Lucic and in my opinion, at least, he would be a playoff warrior, his talents are tied to his heart. I would not trade him, there are others yes but not Domi, he is a heart and soul guy, a second limer yes but very essential on a good team.

Yes it was a fluke season. Him and his linemates scored far beyond expected. He would have needed to progress offensively to replicate and he hasn't. Hes the same player with a lot less puck luck.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Yes it was a fluke season. Him and his linemates scored far beyond expected. He would have needed to progress offensively to replicate and he hasn't. Hes the same player with a lot less puck luck.
My instincts tell me you're wrong about Domi. He's a playmaker mainly and he needs offensive players on his line. Who did he play with this year? Or to put it in a more dramatic fashion, I have more faith in Domi becoming a 2nd line center than KK.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
My instincts tell me you're wrong about Domi. He's a playmaker mainly and he needs offensive players on his line. Who did he play with this year? Or to put it in a more dramatic fashion, I have more faith in Domi becoming a 2nd line center than KK.

Look at his career and tell me what is more likely. That he is a 70 pt player or a 45-55 pt guy?

If you take a deep dive into his season last year, he rode a PDO bender, this regression was easy to see coming. Still a useful player but he has to be willing to play wing.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Yes but you are purely looking at analytics here, he was inspired in that first year, he was on a show me deal from Bergevin, he was the second player involved in a trade of first-round castoffs! He was a proud Canadian boy with a thirst for the spotlight, the only one we have had play for us like that since PK! He was in a contract year in 19-20 and not exactly placed in a position to succeed, give this kid sone time, he is a fire without smoke, a great second liner as a compliment to first-line Lafreniere!

Reactions: Jesperi Suzuki

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Yes but you are purely looking at analytics here, he was inspired in that first year, he was on a show me deal from Bergevin, he was the second player involved in a trade of first-round castoffs! He was a proud Canadian boy with a thirst for the spotlight, the only one we have had play for us like that since PK! He was in a contract year in 19-20 and not exactly placed in a position to succeed, give this kid sone time, he is a fire without smoke, a great second liner as a compliment to first-line Lafreniere!

50 points C is a good second liner. 70 points is a first liner.

I don't think WTK ever said Domi was not a top6 guy, only that he is not a 1st line forward.

Reactions: abo9 and Redux91

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
With one more day of practice tomorrow and them traveling to Toronto on Sunday, I'm thinking the lines at practice the last few days will be the line-up to start the series with Pens.

So I take it Domi will be the 4C to start.

It will be 1C- Danault, 2C- Suzuki, 3C- Kotkaniemi, 4C- Domi.

I think CJ will keep the Top-3 lines as they've been all camp. He wouldn't want to change the chemistry they've been building the lash two weeks last minute. Maybe it'll change along the series, but I think the forward lines will be as they are now.

Also, with Domi's health and the off-chance he pulls out, it's easier to replace the 4C with Evans.

I’ve never seen lines set in stone with CJ. Fall behind by one or two goals and all bets are off. All of a sudden, it won’t matter who’s playing centre where.

You just know that the Line Blender is always ready to go.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I’ve never seen lines set in stone with CJ. Fall behind by one or two goals and all bets are off. All of a sudden, it won’t matter who’s playing centre where.

You just know that the Line Blender is always ready to go.
CJ is a more polite version of Therrien but the underlying message is the same, he will not be here when this team is ready to compete, he is a dinosaur. At least we can take comfort in feeling that there is some fresh blood/ideas waiting in the wings.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Well, if Domi is the Gm's pick to be on the first line, I guess you go with it. Fast forward and see us win AF and Max Domi is a wonderful player to have on your second line.

Ideally Domi is on the 2nd line where he produces around 50 points, which is why he is a 2nd liner and that was the whole point. Not sure what you are trying to say.

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
Ideally Domi is on the 2nd line where he produces around 50 points, which is why he is a 2nd liner and that was the whole point. Not sure what you are trying to say.
Lafrenière - Kotkaniemi - Domi
Drouin - Suzuki - Gallagher

would be a fun top 6

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
It would be but theres less than 0% chance that Danault isnt in Cj's top 6
Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Lafrenière - Kotkaniemi - Domi
Drouin - Suzuki - Armia

Use Tatar/Danault/Gallagher as our shutdown 1st line and then give equal minutes to lines 2 and 3. It’s two of the lines from the current team and then you just put KK and Domi together (which is likely to happen for this series) and then put Laf with them. This would be a sick top 9 for next year and it’s realistic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad