HF Habs: 2020 Montreal Canadiens Off-Season Thread part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Rumors on radio here in CT, that Jeremy Jacobs (Bruins) and Jim Dolan (NYR) are leading the charge to cancel season and have strong backing from US based ownership. If accurate, will be interesting to watch how Bettman proceeds, he’s traditionally been very close to Jacobs & Dolan.

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
Rumors on radio here in CT, that Jeremy Jacobs (Bruins) and Jim Dolan (NYR) are leading the charge to cancel season and have strong backing from US based ownership. If accurate, will be interesting to watch how Bettman proceeds, he’s traditionally been very close to Jacobs & Dolan.

Really?

f***ing northerners!

Let's have an all-canadian season? Who needs the yankees anyways?

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Really?

f***ing northerners!

Let's have an all-canadian season? Who needs the yankees anyways?
As I said if the reporting was accurate..

The Phillies just reported they lost over $145 M last season, and payroll next season may be slashed along with baseball operations. If that’s the case for a major baseball market, with a very lucrative local TV deal, what’s it going to be for NHL, which has to scratch & claw in the US even in major markets during the best of times?

I continue to believe there will be major repercussions across the board, even with the vaccine in place - the switch won’t just go on with everything returning to pre-Covid norms. What a cluster*...

Reactions: OldCraig71

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
As I said if the reporting was accurate..

The Phillies just reported they lost over $145 M last season, and payroll next season may be slashed along with baseball operations. If that’s the case for a major baseball market, with a very lucrative local TV deal, what’s it going to be for NHL, which has to scratch & claw in the US even in major markets during the best of times?

I continue to believe there will be major repercussions across the board, even with the vaccine in place - the switch won’t just go on with everything returning to pre-Covid norms. What a cluster*...

Losses will be less because the payroll doesn't even come close. :)

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

Interestingly, Jacobs owns concession stands around the league, I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Interestingly, Jacobs owns concession stands around the league, I wonder if that has anything to do with it.
And LA Kings AEG owner Anschuntz, owns most of the arenas worldwide including vast majority in the US. Anschuntz & Jacobs have teamed up for decades - one the owner of the arena (AEG) & the other providing concessions via Delaware North

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Can we at least have a rundown on what is different in skates and training? Pretty please?
"Part of the problem with traditional rollerblades, Mårs believed, is that the biomechanical stride was too different from ice skating. Also, rollerblades provided significantly more support than ice blades, so bad habits were formed and it was harder to get acclimated back on ice."

“I came up with this idea to implement instability between the wheels and the boot,” Mårs said. “That became the base or the foundation of what we now call our Flow-Motion Technology, which is, essentially, a rocker. The idea was off-ice training, and it all sounds counterintuitive: increased instability off the ice would lead to better balance and more stability on the ice."

Basically, it's the next best thing to skating. Many NHLers have endorsed the product and switched to it (Matthews, Nyquist, Kronwall). He has 3 products right now, rollerblades and skates for on ice skating.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
"Part of the problem with traditional rollerblades, Mårs believed, is that the biomechanical stride was too different from ice skating. Also, rollerblades provided significantly more support than ice blades, so bad habits were formed and it was harder to get acclimated back on ice."

“I came up with this idea to implement instability between the wheels and the boot,” Mårs said. “That became the base or the foundation of what we now call our Flow-Motion Technology, which is, essentially, a rocker. The idea was off-ice training, and it all sounds counterintuitive: increased instability off the ice would lead to better balance and more stability on the ice."

Basically, it's the next best thing to skating. Many NHLers have endorsed the product and switched to it (Matthews, Nyquist, Kronwall). He has 3 products right now, rollerblades and skates for on ice skating.

Ok thanks a lot

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
The habs will be such a pain to play against with Anderson, Gallagher, Kotkaniemi, Armia, Byron, Weber, Petry, Chariot, Edmundson, Romanov, Fleury/Juulsen

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
I kind of get why Julien, Richardson etc. all sound excited for this season. 56 games over 4 ish months will be a grueling schedule for opposing star players who typically play very high TOI.

If we lose a Toffoli or Drouin to injuries, we have an Armia or a Byron to replace them. What happens in Toronto if/when someone like Matthews or Marner goes down? The Kerfoot & Barabanov types are levels below their star forwards, whereas the impact on our roster is absorbed much more easily.

Julien's strategy in rolling 4 lines only exists because we have no star players. In order to negate that star advantage, shift quality on the Montreal roster needs to remain high; that way, we have forwards ready to pounce when Matthews takes a full shift off towards the end of a period. The first two lines get more rest during the games + each line plays at a high tempo, it really looks like a Rocky Balboa kind of strategy where the opponent wears down over time even if you don't have any knockout punches in the toolbox. Price and net-clearing D's (Webs, Chiarot, Edmundson) together form Rocky's jaw.

In terms of simplified ice time (excl. PP & PK) if Julien wants to roll something like 17-16-15-12 minutes, it's probably because he wants opposing star players' shifts to degrade by the start of the 3rd assuming they play something like 21-18-12-9 minutes. With more weight added up front and on D, Julien may just have the roster to execute this game plan to near-perfection.

Death via jabs & iron jaw.

Hdr.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $5.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: